Donate computer power for Covid research

3 hours ago, muon* said:

Crunching numbers leans mostly on the CPU, graphics card not.

I think folding performs more on the GPU then the CPU. With this PC I'm folding on both CPU & GPU. The PC at work has no GPU so only folding on the CPU. On both machines the CPU folding is much much  slower.

CPU Folding

878834577_CPUfolding.png.474c052cc5177cfaafb4681a331c2ffa.png

GPU Fokding

folding.png.cc8c688e19e02b82b39fee67ada4e8d8.png

10 minutes ago, Synodontis said:

I think folding performs more on the GPU then the CPU. With this PC I'm folding on both CPU & GPU. The PC at work has no GPU so only folding on the CPU. On both machines the CPU folding is much much  slower.

CPU Folding

878834577_CPUfolding.png.474c052cc5177cfaafb4681a331c2ffa.png

GPU Fokding

folding.png.cc8c688e19e02b82b39fee67ada4e8d8.png

What are the respective PC specs in full?

What CPU and ram?

Edit: likely changed over the years since I looked at it.

Hardware has changed and so has the software these people use. Graphic GPU's are greater at processing than CPU's.

A graphic GPU might have 1409 cores and a CPU 8 cores.

Edit: I need al my cores ;)

Edited by muon*

37 minutes ago, muon* said:

@Synodontis so I have been corrected, cheers :)

Hey Muon,

Didn't mean to come across as correcting lol :)

I've only been in this since last Wednesday night so I'm def no expert lol.

From what I have read, the CPU only folds on 1 core & is used for sensitive calculations were the speed of multi core / thread GPU's may have an error.

The speed of the GPU has something to do with Cuda cores. A 1080Ti GPU has 3584 Cuda cores which is way faster then a i7 9700k CPU with 8 cores. From the Nvidia website..

"In GPU-accelerated applications, the sequential part of the workload runs on the CPU – which is optimized for single-threaded performance – while the compute intensive portion of the application runs on thousands of GPU cores in parallel. When using CUDA, developers program in popular languages such as C, C++, Fortran, Python and MATLAB and express parallelism through extensions in the form of a few basic keywords."

My PC specs from when first benchmarked. I did add another 2 sticks of DDR4 3200 C16 2x16GB on Friday night.

User Benchmarks: Game 128%, Desk 164%, Work 147%
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K - 110.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti - 132.3%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 343.1%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB (2017) - 78.1%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x16GB - 76.8%
MBD: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER

• Love 1

@Synodontis you and ya' fancy pants video card xD

I was looking at a 1660 super so i can play some more recent games and where I got the 1409 cores ;)

BTW, has this folding project achieved  much so far? I do believe SETi has not found aliens yet :D

I'm so cynical in my old age :$

Anyhow, hope this does help them find some cures for various things sooner.

32 minutes ago, Jventer said:

According to Foldingathome the garphics card makes the difference?

Yes! things have changed over the last number of years, in the early days these projects could only take advantage of the CPU for processing, but it is very different these days.

"A CPU (central processing unit) works together with a GPU (graphics processing unit) to increase the throughput of data and the number of concurrent calculations within an application. GPUs were originally designed to create images for computer graphics and video game consoles, but since the early 2010’s, GPUs can also be used to accelerate calculations involving massive amounts of data.

A CPU can never be fully replaced by a GPU: a GPU complements CPU architecture by allowing repetitive calculations within an application to be run in parallel while the main program continues to run on the CPU. The CPU can be thought of as the taskmaster of the entire system, coordinating a wide range of general-purpose computing tasks, with the GPU performing a narrower range of more specialized tasks (usually mathematical). Using the power of parallelism, a GPU can complete more work in the same amount of time as compared to a CPU."

https://www.omnisci.com/technical-glossary/cpu-vs-gpu

On 26/08/2020 at 6:49 PM, soundbyte said:

Not for me, sorry.

Too many security questions, no obvious answers.

Too much like phishing for me.

On 26/08/2020 at 6:55 PM, emesbee said:

You've got to be kidding. This one has 'red alert, do not enter' written all over it.

I don't understand what your security concerns are.

FWIW.....   FAH has been going for over 20 years.

On 02/11/2020 at 3:31 PM, muon* said:

Crunching numbers leans mostly on the CPU, graphics card not.

No.... GPUs are generally thousands of times higher performance than CPUs for most number crunching tasks.    It has always been this way (since the appearance of discrete GPUs 20 years or more ago) ....although it's only become popular in the past decade (due to the maturity/ubiquity of the software needed to compile/run code on GPUs).

28 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

I don't understand what your security concerns are.

FWIW.....   FAH has been going for over 20 years.

Well, maybe it has, but I didn't know that, so purely on face value I would err on the side of caution.

2 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

No.... GPUs are generally thousands of times higher performance than CPUs for most number crunching tasks.    It has always been this way (since the appearance of discrete GPUs 20 years or more ago) ....although it's only become popular in the past decade (due to the maturity/ubiquity of the software needed to compile/run code on GPUs).

You obviously never read my posts that followed :lol:

1 hour ago, emesbee said:

Well, maybe it has, but I didn't know that, so purely on face value I would err on the side of caution.

I thought the same thing when I first seen this thread. It wasn't until I did a bit of reading did I join up.  I thought it would be far to easy to lose everything with access to my PC lol.

A useless piece of information, F@H was added  on the Sony PS3 & brought 15 million users at it peak. A review on F@H & Covid19

There's even a soft master list of distributed computing projects

On 02/11/2020 at 9:16 PM, muon* said:

@Synodontis you and ya' fancy pants video card xD

I was looking at a 1660 super so i can play some more recent games and where I got the 1409 cores ;)

BTW, has this folding project achieved  much so far? I do believe SETi has not found aliens yet :D

I'm so cynical in my old age :$

Anyhow, hope this does help them find some cures for various things sooner.

Fancy pants card lol, 1080Ti I feel is still the best bang for buck GPU out there. With the silly prices for a 2080Ti & now the new 30 series cards you can't go past the 1080Ti. Yes the 20 & 30 cards have a few extra features, but when you have STOP MAKING the 1080Ti so people will buy the 2080Ti lol, tells me something. You can still pick them up on Gumtree, Market Place for $600-$900, I've built 3 PC's over the last couple of years & picked 3 1080Ti's up with little use & with all packaging.

What has F@H achieved?

230+ papers that must have helped point other smart people in the right direction to save the human race. You'd like to think so anyway lol

Nothing wrong with cynical, personally I've spent the last 50yrs practicing to be a grumpy old man, doing quite well at it now & amazing what you can get away with. I'm throwing in some  anti-social behavior at the moment because every time I walk out the front door, people sh*t me lol. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Synodontis said:

Fancy pants card lol, 1080Ti I feel is still the best bang for buck GPU out there. With the silly prices for a 2080Ti & now the new 30 series cards you can't go past the 1080Ti. Yes the 20 & 30 cards have a few extra features, but when you have STOP MAKING the 1080Ti so people will buy the 2080Ti lol, tells me something. You can still pick them up on Gumtree, Market Place for $600-$900, I've built 3 PC's over the last couple of years & picked 3 1080Ti's up with little use & with all packaging.

Yeah, I was shocked at the prices of the 2080Ti :o

They do know how to keep the sales moving!

Features are great but if the games don't utilise them, hmm...

I've been out of the gaming game for a while and am playing catch up, with computers in general too, the audio addiction displaced the PC one some years ago.

1 hour ago, Synodontis said:

What has F@H achieved?

230+ papers that must have helped point other smart people in the right direction to save the human race. You'd like to think so anyway lol

Nothing wrong with cynical, personally I've spent the last 50yrs practicing to be a grumpy old man, doing quite well at it now & amazing what you can get away with. I'm throwing in some  anti-social behavior at the moment because every time I walk out the front door, people sh*t me lol. :)

Yup, I'm sure the project has been fruitful in the longer terms, tis always the way, it may not do much on It's own but as part of the greater research machine likely a good part :) :thumb:

Nice to see another of the fraternity......'G.O.M' :lol:

14 hours ago, muon* said:

You obviously never read my posts that followed :lol:

Yeah, I did read them.

You said "things have changed recently" ... and I was writting to tell you that they haven't changed, it's always been that way.

Edited by davewantsmoore

15 hours ago, emesbee said:

I would err on the side of caution.

Definitely.... but the client is open source, and you don't give it permission to read anything on your computer.

The worst thing that could be happening is they're using your computer to calculate something else than what is claimed, but as I said, the client is open source, so it's possible to verify (not saying reagular folk could verify, but you can read about people who do..... ie. if it were dodgy, people would know).

17 hours ago, Synodontis said:

I wish I had of known about this before I unloaded lots (!!) of 1080TIs for cheaper.....  Then again, Nvidia have pulled this stunt in the past, so I shouldn't be so surprised.

• 5 months later...

• 2 months later...

With the shortage of GPU's around the place now, having a stockpile of 1080Ti's now would be a goldmine now Dave. :)

A new PC is always a good thing JV! Going along nicley.

I had a PC crash early in the year, might have been pushing the limits while playing around with over clocking lol. Wasn't able to fold for awhile.

Stereonet's stats are looking really good. A top 10K ranked team tho, not top 10th. Going well in the monthly ranks, improving each month.

March 2021 ranked 3907th

April 2021 ranked 1476th

May 2021 ranked 452nd

June 2021 ranked 348th

July 2021 so far sitting at 300th

Overall ranking @ 1766th

Would be great to see a few more names on the team :)

image.png.53ff43bbe587659815053ecc518edb57.png

image.png.7ba740cfa0ded52676d7e82aad614282.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...