Hi from Adelaide

Hi there,
I am an analogue fan who is looking for inspiration and guidance to return my boombox it to its former glory.  My pride and joy was the AIWA CA-70 I bought myself in 1983 – turned out to be one of the best purchases I ever made – the sound was (and hopefully will be again) just epic for its size. It was put into storage when I moved overseas 30 years ago and I have just taken it out of storage and unfortunately the cassette player is no longer working…and the speakers may need work…but more on that later.

I have also just unpacked Dad's old Rotel components and Wigo speakers...for another day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hey @The Flying Swan  nice one!!

Similarly my first "hifi" purchase waaaay back in the day was a Sanyo M9666 boombox (coincidentally bought in Adelaide!).  Handed over my hard earned part time job money ($400 IIRC) and had many years fun with  http://www.wikiboombox.com/tiki-index.php?page=Sanyo+M9996

Sounds like you'll have fun unpacking and getting your gear up n running.  Enjoy!!

Cheers

2B

Edited by 2Brix
brand correction (du'oh)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 2Brix said:

hey @The Flying Swan  nice one!!

Similarly my first "hifi" purchase waaaay back in the day was a Sanyo M9666 boombox (coincidentally bought in Adelaide!).  Handed over my hard earned part time job money ($400 IIRC) and had many years fun with  http://www.wikiboombox.com/tiki-index.php?page=Sanyo+M9996

Sounds like you'll have fun unpacking and getting your gear up n running.  Enjoy!!

Cheers

2B

The CA-70 was $399 from Miranda HiFi on Grenfell St - a lot of shelf stacking after school to make that purchase - no AfterPay then!

I reckon my best mate at the time had the Sanyo M9666 or very similar - thought it was a good unit but he was envious of the AIWA as it had timber speaker cabinets (until he tried to put it on his shoulder...)

• Like 1

Your AIWA looks like a beast! ?

My Sanyo was not a high volume proposition but it sounded sweet enough within it's limits.  At times i was envious of some other models that were larger and/or had detachable speakers, but the Sanyo had nice feel to the controls, very good FM receiver, and damped action on the cassette door which i thought was way cool.  Good times ?

12 minutes ago, The Flying Swan said:

Yep the street cred of a soft touch mechanism ? “... And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you...!”

Nothing says street tough like a gentle caress....

3 hours ago, The Flying Swan said:

Yep the street cred of a soft touch mechanism ? “... And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you...!”

Aye, you’re right there Obadiah... and welcome to the forum!

Matt.