WTB: Yamaha NS-1000M (or Ebony).

Tamura

Item: Yamaha NS-1000M (or Ebony NS1000).
Price Range: Negotiable
Item Condition:
Extra Info:
Putting the feelers out there on a pair of Yamaha NS-1000M's (or the Ebony NS1000's).
I'm currently based in Melbourne lockdown, so this is an EOI at this stage.
Happy to put a deposit down for the right pair, I'm not in a rush. 
Price is negotiable depending on model, condition, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been casually toying with the idea of these for while too, with little luck (missed the excellent pair sold here a few weeks back due to insufficient funds at the time).

If you want something absolutely mint and don't mind paying waaaay over the odds (think $2500 + $1000 postage from what I hear) Hifido in Japan has plenty of pairs, all of which look like they're fresh out of the box.

Edited by twofires

On 13/09/2020 at 8:31 PM, mbz said:

Think @Snapper() is the man.

On 13/09/2020 at 8:48 PM, Snapper() said:

Ah they all gone. .. except for some woofers and pair of 1000x midranges.  It's now the Coral dynasty. 

There was a pair of 1000 (not M) pair for sale here not too long ago.

Thanks for the letting me know, I'll keep an eye out.

On 15/09/2020 at 9:48 PM, twofires said:

I've been casually toying with the idea of these for while too, with little luck (missed the excellent pair sold here a few weeks back due to insufficient funds at the time).

If you want something absolutely mint and don't mind paying waaaay over the odds (think $2500 + $1000 postage from what I hear) Hifido in Japan has plenty of pairs, all of which look like they're fresh out of the box.

Thanks for your insight, importing them from Japan seems a little costly verse what I've seen come up for sale here. 

4 minutes ago, Snapper() said:

I can often get a pair for under $1200  into Melbourne .. but bit of hit and miss as far as condition, and bass drivers don't seem to travel well and need magnet realigned

Hi Simon, I assume these are through Yahoo Auctions?
Prices don't seem to be as dirt cheap as they used to, plus freight is slow if coming via Sea. 
Much cheaper than Hifido though.

Edited by Tamura

4 minutes ago, Snapper() said:

I can often get a pair for under $1200  into Melbourne .. but bit of hit and miss as far as condition, and bass drivers don't seem to travel well and need magnet realigned

Ever consider acting as an NS-1000 broker? ?

Also, out of curiosity is the magnet alignment just the paper cone driver, or the carbon for the 1000X & 2000 also?

Just now, Tamura said:

Hi Simon, I assume these are through Yahoo Auctions?
Prices don't seem to be as dirt cheap as they used to, plus freight it slow if coming via Sea. 

Yep, Japan auctions - but the price is very much going UP, a lot. I suspect they are becoming less common now, more parting out for damaged ones, so would expect prices to go up over here at some stage as well. 

2 minutes ago, Snapper() said:

Yep, Japan auctions - but the price is very much going UP, a lot. I suspect they are becoming less common now, more parting out for damaged ones, so would expect prices to go up over here at some stage as well. 

Agreed, NS-2000s have gone up a lot since I was looking. 
I think importing out of Japan has become a lot more popular. 

2 minutes ago, twofires said:

Also, out of curiosity is the magnet alignment just the paper cone driver, or the carbon for the 1000X & 2000 also?

I don't have that much spare cash ;) .. but my 1000x came just fine. Never game to try the NS2000, the Japanese packing is often very simple (bubblewrap and cardboard) so .. gotta take your chances. 
I've found the Corals to be a much better speaker anyway, and finally snagged a pair of DX-7ii .. but midrange was got damaged, and almost impossible to find so may have to get my DX-7 back from @erest ;) 

• Like 1

Yep, @Snapper()

I was just listening to your DX7 an hour ago in my mancave. Have to say, exceptional speakers especially with valve.

Quality of crossovers is pretty crap compared to Ns1000/M/X. Tiny inductors, and caps.

Nevertheless I would take these over the NS1000/M anyday, maybe not the NS1000X.

Edited by erest

1 hour ago, twofires said:

With the magnet shift issue , it mostly common in the earlier ja3058/a variants , generally due to the way they epoxyed the ferrite ring to the pole plates where corrosion of the cadmium plating builds up and causes  the glue itself to lift , the later 1000x and 2000 drivers have a different (red) type of epoxy which is also sealed at the edge of the pole plates to stop corrosion , again I've repaired a few lots of the earlier drivers but never seen the later epoxy types shift 

Alex 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lx4man said:

With the magnet shift issue , it mostly common in the earlier ja3058/a variants , generally due to the way they epoxyed the ferrite ring to the pole plates where corrosion of the cadmium plating builds up and causes  the glue itself to lift , the later 1000x and 2000 drivers have a different (red) type of epoxy which is also sealed at the edge of the pole plates to stop corrosion , again I've repaired a few lots of the earlier drivers but never seen the later epoxy types shift 

Alex 

That's super useful, thank you!