Advice required

ozpiper

Hi all.

I own a Luxman PD 290 Turntable. Beautiful condition (apart from some scratches on the lid), and no issues at all.

I am looking for some advice as I am looking at "swapping" or "selling" my turntable as I would like to get another good quality one.....but one that has an automatic return function.

My Luxman has a switch underneath where I can choose to either have the record spinning once the playing has finished (with the arm sitting on the record) or I can choose the have the record stop spinning and the arm raised.

Any advice on what would be compatible to swap with something like this would be appreciated.

(The photo's taken of my turntable was out in my shed as I had just been carpet shampooing the lounge room....LOL)

Thanks everyone !!!...?

20200823_154619.jpg

20200823_154605.jpg

20200823_154639.jpg

20200823_154647.jpg

20200823_154708.jpg

20200823_154723.jpg

20200814_103745.jpg

I'm not a TT expert but as Colin has pointed out most good quality turntables don't do auto return in fact they don't do much in comparison to an automatic they do produce better sound overall though.

Edited by BATMAQN

7 hours ago, ozpiper said:

Thanks guys.......any idea what mine would be worth?

Luxman turntables of this type sell quite often and quickly, if priced around $600 / $700.

You will get the best price if you are prepared to post but that takes a lot of effort, care and time in packing.

There are currently a couple of local ads for similar Luxmans at around $900 but they have been available for time.

1 minute ago, Colin Rutter said:

But not "auto return".

True, though I (like many others) would steer clear of a tt with extra mechanisms that could potentially interfere with the swinging arc of the tonearm.

If auto return is a must, take a look at a well fettled Dual 1219.

On 24/08/2020 at 8:27 AM, Grizzly said:

True, though I (like many others) would steer clear of a tt with extra mechanisms that could potentially interfere with the swinging arc of the tonearm.

If auto return is a must, take a look at a well fettled Dual 1219.

The Sony PS-8750 from the mid to late 70's has auto-return and is a seriously good turntable. Mine outperformed a Pioneer PL-50L II and a Victor QL-A75. Pretty rare and quite expensive these days though.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-8750.html

https://liquidaudio.com.au/sony-ps-8750-turntable-repair-service-upgrade-review/