WTB: Pure Class A, or SET amp with some juice

The Fresh Prince

Do you want balanced XLR inputs or RCA?

Would a pair of ABSOLARE Altius 845SET monoblock amps be of interest? 

RRP = $78,000 USD

Paralleled 845 yielding 55W per channel.

Edited by Aperalim
7 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

I have some dual 300B close to 20w, for $3k not sure there's a lot to pick from in the higher power range? 845s maybe?

The consonance 845s are 28w from memory..

How efficient are your speakers?

Hey.

Yes, the choices are limited. Looks like 805, or 845.

The cost of 845 tubes is a bit off putting.

I fancy trying them with a pair of Harbeth SHL5 plus, as a side project, purely for listening to vocals and acoustic at low to medium volume.

I already have the Magicos driven by Accuphase, and just wanted to try something a bit different.

Maybe I am being unrealistic, and should be looking for a Push-Pull (if that’s the correct terminology). I want something significantly different to my class A B Accuphase

Edited by The Fresh Prince
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Aperalim said:

Do you want balanced XLR inputs or RCA?

Would a pair of ABSOLARE Altius 845SET monoblock amps be of interest? 

RRP = $78,000 USD

Paralleled 845 yielding 55W per channel.

You probably didn’t see my last post.

10 minutes ago, The Fresh Prince said:

Flexible, but looking for good value.

Not in the realms of Absolare

Although I am sure they are magnificent

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, The Fresh Prince said:

You probably didn’t see my last post.

Definitely didn't see that it must have been posted same time I was drafting mine sorry – and yes tubes are expensive over 5,000 for an excellent quad of Elrog ER845 – but oh what glorious sound : )

Yes, the Absolare are magnificent but I appreciate they are not for everyone.

Good luck.

• Like 1

To be honest if the amp is well designed you should get 10+ years out of most tubes. The Absolare is a bit rich, but I can justify $1000-2000 for nice 300B's every 10 years haha.

My opinion : you will get a much more enjoyable sound going SET like my 300B over a push pull equivalent 300B but half the output power (maybe less)

They still go pretty damn good (surprisingly actually) but it depends if you want quality or quantity... 

Something like the Amp I've just bought : Luxman 590AX2 at 30-60watt pure class A, would be a better alternative than push pull tube. My reasoning for changing however is more for about baby safety.. 

Solid state done right can be just as good as tubes. 

First watt nelson pass (&Pass Labs)stuff are also very good class A options if you want more grunt.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

To be honest if the amp is well designed you should get 10+ years out of most tubes. The Absolare is a bit rich, but I can justify $1000-2000 for nice 300B's every 10 years haha.

My opinion : you will get a much more enjoyable sound going SET like my 300B over a push pull equivalent 300B but half the output power (maybe less)

They still go pretty damn good (surprisingly actually) but it depends if you want quality or quantity... 

Something like the Amp I've just bought : Luxman 590AX2 at 30-60watt pure class A, would be a better alternative than push pull tube. My reasoning for changing however is more for about baby safety.. 

Solid state done right can be just as good as tubes. 

First watt nelson pass (&Pass Labs)stuff are also very good class A options if you want more grunt.

Great advice. Much appreciated.

I fear 25 watts will not be enough for the Harbeths.

In a past life I explored Lowthers etc, but they really weren't for me.

I have been frightened away from Devore Orangutans (from people who have owned them) because of their fussy nature.

I am delighted with the my Magico/Accuphase set up which is excels at everything I throw at it.

I previously owned several Harbeths including the 40s and SHL5. Although I found them pretty bloated with electronic stuff and low end percussion, they were magical with voices and most acoustic. They wouldn't suit most of my listening (electronic, hip hop), but I still miss them.

As a consequence I want something of that magical midrange (resonances, and all) albeit at the expense of other extremes, which are nicely covered by the Magicos.

I don't really want to touch the Magico/Accuphase set up unless I go to the big Accuphase Class A- in which case that could feed the Harbeths also.

My preference would be to keep the class AB Accuphase for the Magicos, and have something different for the Harbeths.

Maybe, a smaller Class A might be the way forward. The big Accuphase Class A might be an option, but would be a considerable expense and I am fearful that it might not sound as good as the class AB Accuphase with the Magicos.

Have any Luxman dealers nearby? I'd suggest trying the L590AX if you can get a home demo. Be a perfect amp to try against the Accuphase (bet you it sounds better.. sorry :P). Will also give you an idea of what they go like with only 30watts

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

Have any Luxman dealers nearby? I'd suggest trying the L590AX if you can get a home demo. Be a perfect amp to try against the Accuphase (bet you it sounds better.. sorry :P). Will also give you an idea of what they go like with only 30watts

I have owned 2 Luxman amps- both A/B. They were excellent.

I have Accu P6100 and C2420. I tried it head to head against the flagship Luxman (900u pre -power). The Accuphase sounded better to my ears.

Personal preference.

But, your suggestion is a good one. In a smaller set up with the Harbeths, the Luxman class A could be a good choice.

I haven't heard the new 509X which is meant to blow away the other AB luxmans, But the 590AX is so far ahead of the 507U I heard (similar retail price I think?) and sounds so effortless (at least at levels I've tried it at) by comparison. Certainly not as much power, but if 30watts doesn't do it, more bad watts won't help..

7 hours ago, The Fresh Prince said:

Great advice. Much appreciated.

I fear 25 watts will not be enough for the Harbeths.

In a past life I explored Lowthers etc, but they really weren't for me.

I have been frightened away from Devore Orangutans (from people who have owned them) because of their fussy nature.

I am delighted with the my Magico/Accuphase set up which is excels at everything I throw at it.

I previously owned several Harbeths including the 40s and SHL5. Although I found them pretty bloated with electronic stuff and low end percussion, they were magical with voices and most acoustic. They wouldn't suit most of my listening (electronic, hip hop), but I still miss them.

As a consequence I want something of that magical midrange (resonances, and all) albeit at the expense of other extremes, which are nicely covered by the Magicos.

I don't really want to touch the Magico/Accuphase set up unless I go to the big Accuphase Class A- in which case that could feed the Harbeths also.

My preference would be to keep the class AB Accuphase for the Magicos, and have something different for the Harbeths.

Maybe, a smaller Class A might be the way forward. The big Accuphase Class A might be an option, but would be a considerable expense and I am fearful that it might not sound as good as the class AB Accuphase with the Magicos.

In my opinion you have been given very poor advice/opinions regarding the DeVore Orangutan 0/96s..............I have owned a pair for a couple of years and I certainly had little trouble with setting them up to totally disappear in my 7m x 5m room (L shaped)..........using Lamm (6C33C and GM70 valves), Viva Audio (845 valves), Unison Research Reference (845 valves), Line Magnetic (845 valves),Cary (300B valves), Almarro (6C33C valves) -  SET amplifiers and all producing outstanding musical performances with the Orangutans. I also use a First Watt J2 solid state SE amplifier with similar results. I simply struggle to understand how those giving you this advice can have arrived at their opinions. One wonders whether they moved their 0/96s on as I have never seen a pair in the classifieds, nor the very fine 0/93s for that matter. Not that I can guess your preferences, but I really feel you are doing yourself a dis-service by not at least trying these for yourself. They are not the B all or end all of loudspeakers by any means, but for what you appear to have in mind they must be on your list

Edited by Smp
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Smp said:

In my opinion you have been given very poor advice/opinions regarding the DeVore Orangutan 0/96s..............I have owned a pair for a couple of years and I certainly had little trouble with setting them up to totally disappear in my 7m x 5m room (L shaped)..........using Lamm (6C33C and GM70 valves), Viva Audio (845 valves), Unison Research Reference (845 valves), Line Magnetic (845 valves),Cary (300B valves), Almarro (6C33C valves) -  SET amplifiers and all producing outstanding musical performances with the Orangutans. I also use a First Watt J2 solid state SE amplifier with similar results. I simply struggle to understand how those giving you this advice can have arrived at their opinions. One wonders whether they moved their 0/96s on as I have never seen a pair in the classifieds, nor the very fine 0/93s for that matter. Not that I can guess your preferences, but I really feel you are doing yourself a dis-service by not at least trying these for yourself. They are not the B all or end all of loudspeakers by any means, but for what you appear to have in mind they must be on your list

You may well be correct. I always take this kind of advice with a pinch of salt.

If a used pair came up, I would probably give them a go- at full retail it is a bit of a punt.

• Haha 1

I am assuming you want the set "feel" in your system but with power.

Also you like 300Bs.

Not a bad thing.

If you dont want to spend a huge amount of cash have you considered single ended ultra linear.

You could use a KT150 and have plenty of power with the closest thing to set.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colin Rutter said:

I am assuming you want the set "feel" in your system but with power.

Also you like 300Bs.

Not a bad thing.

If you dont want to spend a huge amount of cash have you considered single ended ultra linear.

You could use a KT150 and have plenty of power with the closest thing to set.

Yes. That’s essentially the jist.

I’ll look into it. Do you have any suggestions?

• Like 1
Just now, Colin Rutter said:

I like the marketing hype.

"SE pure class A"

Can SE be anything but class A?

And "pure" at that.

I like learning new things.

Fair enough.

What I can say is that I have auditioned this amplifier at length and it is simply superb. I didn't need marketing hype to make me aware of that.

Proof of pudding etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Colin Rutter said:

I like the marketing hype.

"SE pure class A"

Can SE be anything but class A?

And "pure" at that.

I like learning new things.

I find that kind of thing off-putting also. The problem seems to be, hyperbole, comes standard with any marketing. ?

Did you have a KT150 SET or Ultralinear to recommend.

I am currently looking at a Wavac 805M