Anyone have an opinion on Audiolab 6000A? Thinking of buying an amp from this century.

Hey I'm quite new to hifi but I know I need to upgrade my 1981 Aiwa rx30. It's humming. 

I've also got Jensen SPX floor speakers and a Pro-Ject turntable. It has an integrated phono pre amp. 

After a few hours of Googling I am leaning towards an Audiolab 6000A. It seems that you don't get the best of all worlds when you get an integrated amp but the space and power cord saving elements appeal to me. 

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers from the COVID Capital

The 6000a is an excellent amp for the money.  My dealer in the UK was selling more of these than all other sub £1000 options combined!  It is a very dynamic sounding machine and comes across as much more powerful than the specs would have you believe.

If looking for an alternative would also recommend the Creek Evolution 50a is worth a look.  Not as punchy and lively sounding as the audiolab but with superior midrange clarity which particularly shines on vocals.  If needing an onboard DAC then Creek do sell a DAC module called the Ruby DAC.  Hifi Disposals has the pair for under $2k at the moment which is a verifiable bargain!

https://hifidisposals.com/collections/amplifiers/products/creek-evo-50-a-black

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Immyimmy said:

After a few hours of Googling I am leaning towards an Audiolab 6000A. It seems that you don't get the best of all worlds when you get an integrated amp but the space and power cord saving elements appeal to me. 

in melbourne i see, try get a handle on how sound together as a combo. I beleive class A audio deals with audio lab might be able to let you home demo to appreciate and especially in these current conditions. quite possible it will be exactly what you want. but thats not something any of us can say :) 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, POV said:

The 6000a is an excellent amp for the money.  My dealer in the UK was selling more of these than all other sub £1000 options combined!  It is a very dynamic sounding machine and comes across as much more powerful than the specs would have you believe.

If looking for an alternative would also recommend the Creek Evolution 50a is worth a look.  Not as punchy and lively sounding as the audiolab but with superior midrange clarity which particularly shines on vocals.  If needing an onboard DAC then Creek do sell a DAC module called the Ruby DAC.  Hifi Disposals has the pair for under $2k at the moment which is a verifiable bargain!

https://hifidisposals.com/collections/amplifiers/products/creek-evo-50-a-black

Thank you - I hadn't looked into Creek but that is worth considering. Quite a discount!

8 minutes ago, betty boop said:

in melbourne i see, try get a handle on how sound together as a combo. I beleive class A audio deals with audio lab might be able to let you home demo to appreciate and especially in these current conditions. quite possible it will be exactly what you want. but thats not something any of us can say :) 

Thank you for that tip - that would be pretty amazing to be able to try it in my house. Not every shop sells them. I might get in touch. They only have the more expensive items online but perhaps they have them in store. 

2 minutes ago, Immyimmy said:

Thank you for that tip - that would be pretty amazing to be able to try it in my house. Not every shop sells them. I might get in touch. They only have the more expensive items online but perhaps they have them in store. 

definitely worth an ask never know

1 minute ago, Immyimmy said:

I saw audiolab was compared to Rotel. I would be seriously considering that it if was black (!). I'll keep an eye out. Thank you

it would be worth checking in with a few retailers, never know what's out there 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david j said:

Did you order anything yet?

Hey David! I got the Audiolab yesterday. I can't believe how different and great it sounds. It's so much more clear but also detailed than my old amp. I'm not a sound expert so I'm probably not describing it properly. In the end also looked into the Cyrus one hd as well as the other suggestions above. Ending up paying close to rrp ($1299) but happy with that as I didn't want to wait around. A guy from Sight and Sound Galleria dropped it off and was really helpful.

Cant complain about that  will sound better when you get a few hours up 

I started  my audio journey  many years ago with the 8000a  intergrated  amp  original made in uk 

Always   wanted the 8000m monoblocks  but couldnt afford it 

Eventually got a 8000q and a stereo power amp 

Then when audiolab sold out to tag mclaren   started on that journey and still have a heap of that gear today 

Good luck with it all 

11 minutes ago, david j said:

Cant complain about that  will sound better when you get a few hours up 

I started  my audio journey  many years ago with the 8000a  intergrated  amp  original made in uk 

Always   wanted the 8000m monoblocks  but couldnt afford it 

Eventually got a 8000q and a stereo power amp 

Then when audiolab sold out to tag mclaren   started on that journey and still have a heap of that gear today 

Good luck with it all 

Thank you, David. Very interesting to hear about your audio journey... Makes me wonder where I'll end up! Thanks again and for luck to you, too :)