Material between stand and speaker

Hello all

I've recently acquired some Osborn Titans and am loving them. Having never owned stand mounters of quality before, I'm trying to work out good value for money solution for the material between speaker and steel stands.

Any suggestions?

The most simple solution is a small piece of Blu tack on each corner of the speakers, if you have some laying around the house.

I have used this on occasion over the years and it always worked for me, but if for some reason, doesn't suit your speakers then the White's product is another very cost effective idea.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 5

I have used the Whites squares with ultra thin double sided sticky tape. Tape on both top and bottom surfaces (facing the speaker and the stand), so it kinda functions like Blutac would, but it's more like chunky feet for each speaker. I usually cut each square into 4, so 1 square gives the 4 feet. And gives a nicer look for the bookshelf/stand mount speaker format.

Edited by zippi
  • Like 3

Yeah, I tend to just use Blu-Tack these days.  I guess there is a risk of it staining the bottom of the speakers, but then that's never going to be on display anyway, so it's a risk i'm willing to take. 

So the stands are steel and create effectively a cube cage. As a result, I'm trying to use something that also makes sure the metal doesn't scratch the veneer. The speakers are 25kg each, so picking them up normally requires a bit of side to side movement.

I might try these whites anti-vibration pads. They look grippy too.

Also, apologies to the moderator (Marc deliberately not tagged), as I posted this in the wrong sub-forum and it has been moved!

Blu-tac works well, but use it relatively sparingly, and ALWAYS twist (not lift) the speaker when attempting to remove it from the stand to avoid damaging the bottom of the speaker. 

• Like 5

Mr Bagel, I generally supply small discs of 1mm thick neoprene rubber these days with speaker stands. They're inconspicuous and grippy plus have a tiny bit of give. I can send you some if you PM your address to me.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Mr Bagel, I generally supply small discs of 1mm thick neoprene rubber these days with speaker stands. They're inconspicuous and grippy plus have a tiny bit of give. I can send you some if you PM your address to me.

Hello Mr Grizzly. I don't know who you are, but I will PM you now.

Are you Batman?

• Haha 3
11 hours ago, BagelM said:

Hello Mr Grizzly. I don't know who you are, but I will PM you now.

Are you Batman?

Hmmmm, not to my knowledge, but I'm prepared to be surprised!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, R-Y74 said:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/madico-13mm-clear-round-self-stick-protec-surface-savers-12-pack_p3970273

i used this. Looks, feel and works like atacama gel pods. And best part, less than $5 bucks!

I also got some black ones from somewhere, that are slightly softer compound, that work well between my stereo stand and a marble slab, for my turntable. I thought I got them from Bunnings, but I can't see them listed on their site.

Edit: this looks like them, but I got them but sure mine are about 12mm

https://www.madico.com.au/product/protec-self-stick-surface-savers-round-black-16mm-12pk/

I've used these under floor standers, on a tiled floor, and they work for me:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ehi-australia-64mm-feltguard-heavy-duty-felt-sliders_p3961640

Edited by bob_m_54

I have also just purchased the Titans and struggled to find a stand (top plate size and not black steel ) so I made my own with 20mm porcelain tile and tassie oak. I then used a white rubber/ neoprene I got from clark rubber - this has not only stopped any slipping but isolated speaker from stand and stand from wood floors. 

483F5521-1624-4203-8080-74C6D156B540.jpeg

5F627F83-D073-467A-9A3A-E0C81D18716A.jpeg

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Carbonmason said:

I have also just purchased the Titans and struggled to find a stand (top plate size and not black steel ) so I made my own with 20mm porcelain tile and tassie oak. I then used a white rubber/ neoprene I got from clark rubber - this has not only stopped any slipping but isolated speaker from stand and stand from wood floors. 

Great work, nice design and perfect colouring for the veneer on the Osborns!

15 hours ago, Carbonmason said:

They look amazing, as does the finish on your Titans. Not to my taste colour wise, but they fit the style of your home perfectly. They must be some strong stands. The Titans are seriously heavy.

As an aside, I'm quite amazed with how the Titans are bringing my music to life (particularly the blues, jazz and americana).

• Like 1

I bought a roll of whites thin stuff the other day for this purpose. It’s 90 or 100mm wide and a few mm thick. I’ve finished making my speaker stands, just waiting for the oil coat to dry thoroughly. Then I plan on sticking two lengths of the roll to cover the whole top of speaker stand and small back stop I attached, so no part of the speaker is touching the wooden stand.

• Like 2

On 22/08/2020 at 6:58 PM, R-Y74 said:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/madico-13mm-clear-round-self-stick-protec-surface-savers-12-pack_p3970273

i used this. Looks, feel and works like atacama gel pods. And best part, less than $5 bucks!

I’ve got some of these too, except the trapezoid ones. Think I used some under my Hifi unit. They’ve got a very good feel.

In addition to Blu-tak, I use adhesive velcro. The Blu-tak handles the vibrations and helps prevent movement and scratching. The velcro was for when the kids were small and I was worried about them bumping speakers off the stands, but I still use this method as it really does help hold the speakers to the stands and if someone bumps them then there is a much better chance they can grab the stand and prevent the whole thing going down. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning,

I have used often what we call 'loodbitumen' (loodbitumen), something like this: bitumen mat (English). (Conrad is actually not a shop I really like.) I used actually a mat bought from a speaker DIY shop. The mat is some flexible. Normal bitumen mats can break(!). One side is often with a kind of with paper covered sticky adhesive. You can cut it in the right shape with a sharp knife. If you do, please be carefully with your fingers and hands (!). It's rather tough material. The bitumen mat is often used in speakers.  The mat is flat, but will take the exact shape of the stands and speakers.  

24 minutes ago, Edwin B. said:

Good morning,

I have used often what we call 'loodbitumen' (loodbitumen), something like this: bitumen mat (English). (Conrad is actually not a shop I really like.) I used actually a mat bought from a speaker DIY shop. The mat is some flexible. Normal bitumen mats can break(!). One side is often with a kind of with paper covered sticky adhesive. You can cut it in the right shape with a sharp knife. If you do, please be carefully with your fingers and hands (!). It's rather tough material. The bitumen mat is often used in speakers.  The mat is flat, but will take the exact shape of the stands and speakers.  

For those who don't speak Dutch; 'Lood' means 'lead'. I reckon it's the same stuff car audio companies sell to dampen the sound in your car doors but this is much cheaper and should definitely do the trick.