NBN Router LAN setup.

sloper

Goodaye all

Just need some input.

Next Tuesday we get FTC NBN and l have the Optus guy coming to set it up. (yeh bit lazy of me)

Currently we use the Optus cable modem as a Gateway and use out TP Link Archer C50 as the DNS servor and wireless networks and every thing is good.

Now Optus supply a Sagecom 5366LTE which has supposeadly  a good wireless system.

Should l use this as just a  gateway and use my current wireless network??

Use it as a 3rd and 4th wireless network in the house??

Will l get any benifit??

l beleive the the Sagecom is not as configurable as my TP link.

It was fun the NBN guys could not find the Telecom connection for the house, yes we did have one 33 years ago.

Had a new underground line from the pit to the plug run, very happy about that.

No wonder we had problems with Telecom.

regards Bruce

2 hours ago, sloper said:

Should l use this as just a  gateway and use my current wireless network??

Yes... I would reproducte your current setup (ie. use the Archer for everything except the "gateway to the internet"))

It was fun the NBN guys could not find the Telecom connection for the house, yes we did have one 33 years ago.

Telstra record keeping not so good ;) 

Had a new underground line from the pit to the plug run, very happy about that.

No wonder we had problems with Telecom.

Yeah, it funny how the "guys who created the problem in the first place" (ie. previous governments, and their lax regulation and/or privatision) are the ones who have proclaimed the loudest how much of a "mess the NBN is" .

Guest rmpfyf
6 hours ago, sloper said:

l have read the modem they supply is problematic.

Not really - for domestic work they're much of a muchness. They don't do much and unless they're DOA or your line is toast (both of which the NBN tech should check) there's very little to go wrong when the network is up.

If anything that's quite a nice gateway - has 4G backup. That can get screwy depending how Optus manage it. Had a Telstra issue some time ago with their competing product where the NBN was out for a week at one site, the 4G got hammered and they automagically cancelled the SIM on their excess usage policy... and then didn't have the ability to reinstate it at the time. Needed a gateway swap (even though it was a perfectly good gateway). 

Just disable the WiFi on it - if you have something that works for you, enjoy it. C50 is a nice router, good 5GHz performance.

On 22/08/2020 at 11:06 AM, sloper said:

If they've pulled it at the pit your existing cable should be dead (test first) and you can pull it if you like. I had ours done and discovered the previous owner had, like, every 2nd room provisioned with phone copper. A lot of sh*t came out from the underfloor.

On 22/08/2020 at 1:25 PM, davewantsmoore said:

Yeah, it funny how the "guys who created the problem in the first place" (ie. previous governments, and their lax regulation and/or privatision) are the ones who have proclaimed the loudest how much of a "mess the NBN is" .

Go easy - that's highly likely neither a govt nor Telstra issue. 

Goodaye all

Well on the NBN, was pretty painless just had to change the IP address of the TP link router.

Using the Optus one as a gateway, cant configure it to do much else.

Only on 50Mbs at the moment has to wait a couple of days to be switched over to 100Mbs.

Line tested good for that speed.

Landline even works.

This is of course famous last words.

regards Bruce

Guest rmpfyf
6 hours ago, sloper said:

Goodaye all

Well on the NBN, was pretty painless just had to change the IP address of the TP link router.

Using the Optus one as a gateway, cant configure it to do much else.

Only on 50Mbs at the moment has to wait a couple of days to be switched over to 100Mbs.

Line tested good for that speed.

Landline even works.

This is of course famous last words.

regards Bruce

Does it have the 4G failover?

Pretty cool if so.