AT33 broken at level of suspension. Is it repairable (worth repairing)?

Juzbear

So... I have a retipped AT33-PTG which I have been using strapped for mono. It has been playing well but last week, the cantilever separated during play. On examining it, it is further back from the join of the cantilever and the suspension- just ahead of the rubber suspension donut. I assume there was a cord/string which has broken. I have attached a couple of pics to illustrate. I would appreciate the wisdom of the stereonet denizens.

Justin

4780B70B-5B33-45C0-B5F1-D598762A8215.jpeg

7EBE21C0-425E-44AC-BBCA-9EC150162BE3.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Juzbear said:

So... I have a retipped AT33-PTG which I have been using strapped for mono. It has been playing well but last week, the cantilever separated during play. On examining it, it is further back from the join of the cantilever and the suspension- just ahead of the rubber suspension donut. I assume there was a cord/string which has broken. I have attached a couple of pics to illustrate. I would appreciate the wisdom of the stereonet denizens.

Justin

Given it's been re-tipped ... it would seem the person who did it - didn't do a very good job.  :(

Send it back to them with a request to do a proper job, this time.

Andy

31 minutes ago, andyr said:

Given it's been re-tipped ... it would seem the person who did it - didn't do a very good job.  :(

Send it back to them with a request to do a proper job, this time.

Andy

To be fair, it was retipped some time ago, and has played quite a number of records in the mean time without any hint of issues with playback, and as you can see, the cantilever itself is straight as a die. It is just that the base is now disconnected from the rubber suspension. This happened in the space of a side of a record without any previous suggestion of looseness of the suspension. 

1 hour ago, Juzbear said:

To be fair, it was retipped some time ago, and has played quite a number of records in the mean time without any hint of issues with playback, and as you can see, the cantilever itself is straight as a die. It is just that the base is now disconnected from the rubber suspension. This happened in the space of a side of a record without any previous suggestion of looseness of the suspension. 

Aah, OK.  :)

Still should be something that is able to be mended (by the right expert).

As to whether the expense would be worth it ... why not ask the guy who re-tipped it to estimate what re-attaching the belay wire might be - then you can compare it against the price of a new AT33.

Andy

Theres a guy in Vladivostok that can repair it.

20 minutes ago, Juzbear said:

Thanks Andy,

I think I will do that, though it might have to wait until the lockdown is over! I will just have to suffer in stereo with my other cartridges.

Justin

PM me if you need the help.

I've just had one on loan from England that he's fixed. A PTG. Very nice indeed.

Edited by Wimbo
  • Like 1

It is hard to see from the pics, but it loos like the tie wire has broke. On a MC the cantilever is held against the rubber suspension by a retaining wire, if the breaks the cantilever will collapse. This is not the retippers fault. This repair is far from simple, it is doable (I am able) but it is probably not worth it. Basically the coils need to be disconnected and may need rewinding after this. Then cantilever and coils can be removed completely and tie wire fixed then reinstalled and coils resoldered or rewound and reconnected. It it was a 5K carts yes worth it IMO, but there is many hours of work to do this. Dmitry is a friend and he can repair it too ( we talk often as both cart nuts) which I think who is being discussed in Russia, but this is a massive job. I have a cart I am doing this to for myself, but I would not take this on for anyone unless the cart was really worth the trouble as to fix this the retipper is basically making a new cart. If you are asking someone to rewind coils fix tie wire and reinstall coils and stylus it would be nuts not to change stylus too. Then you need to look at how much all this is going to cost and how much is a new cart.

Chris

Edited by cafe latte
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, cafe latte said:

It is hard to see from the pics, but it loos like the tie wire has broke. On a MC the cantilever is held against the rubber suspension by a retaining wire, if the breaks the cantilever will collapse. This is not the retippers fault. This repair is far from simple, it is doable (I am able) but it is probably not worth it. Basically the coils need to be disconnected and may need rewinding after this. Then cantilever and coils can be removed completely and tie wire fixed then reinstalled and coils resoldered or rewound and reconnected. It it was a 5K carts yes worth it IMO, but there is many hours of work to do this. Dmitry is a friend and he can repair it too ( we talk often as both cart nuts) which I think who is being discussed in Russia, but this is a massive job. I have a cart I am doing this to for myself, but I would not take this on for anyone unless the cart was really worth the trouble as to fix this the retipper is basically making a new cart. If you are asking someone to rewind coils fix tie wire and reinstall coils and stylus it would be nuts not to change stylus too. Then you need to look at how much all this is going to cost and how much is a new cart.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

That is kind of what I thought, based on my own examination. I appreciate the description of what might be involved, as when it happened, it was clear that it was more than just a bent cantilever! 
Cheers

Justin

1 hour ago, Juzbear said:

Thanks Chris,

That is kind of what I thought, based on my own examination. I appreciate the description of what might be involved, as when it happened, it was clear that it was more than just a bent cantilever! 
Cheers

Justin

Yes it is, I am sorry for bad news.

Hope you find another cart

Chris