Dac Advice

So over the past few months I've slowly but surely been upgrading my system with second hand bargains, copped some beautiful duevel venus omni directional speakers for a song from a member on here, just added a marantz PM14s1 Amp in the mix, and now I'm coming to the point where I'm thinking about getting a decent DAC, right now I'm running a Burson Audio Swing with the v6 vivid op amps and it's served me well over the last few years but I'm at a cross road thinking I might need to upgrade, what I've been leaning towards lately has been

• denafrips ares II
  • chord qutest
  • RME ADI-2 DAC

just after some general advice or recommendations on what I should go for, after something that is on the warmer side but still clear enough I can appreciate all the instrumentation

8 hours ago, nopoweradeinusa said:

So over the past few months I've slowly but surely been upgrading my system with second hand bargains, copped some beautiful duevel venus omni directional speakers for a song from a member on here, just added a marantz PM14s1 Amp in the mix, and now I'm coming to the point where I'm thinking about getting a decent DAC, right now I'm running a Burson Audio Swing with the v6 vivid op amps and it's served me well over the last few years but I'm at a cross road thinking I might need to upgrade, what I've been leaning towards lately has been

• denafrips ares II
  • chord qutest
  • RME ADI-2 DAC

just after some general advice or recommendations on what I should go for, after something that is on the warmer side but still clear enough I can appreciate all the instrumentation

@cafad knows the burson stuff and may be able to say something re the opamps. You are in Brisbane Gieseler is in the Gold Coast. See if you can get to one of the Hi-Fi shops there too.

There are some other topics here re dacs and based on that it looks like the qutest may be the one to cut from the list.

10 minutes ago, Jventer said:

There are some other topics here re dacs and based on that it looks like the qutest may be the one to cut from the list.

I wouldn't be too hasty, I've been very satisfied with the Qutest - they have a deserved reputation as very hard to beat at that price level.

You get a stripped back no frills version of a very expensive high performance DAC, I like the 4 filter switching to match preferred sound.

I am currently in the process of changing my Streamer, before I make any firm decision on the Qutest.

Plenty of times we throw out the baby with the bath water seeking improvements! ?

You can make changes along the line that can better reveal their virtues.

I've had to re-evaluate this myself many times- after changing a lead or strengthening weaknesses in the system. 

• Like 2