Upgrading old system

I have a Quad 33/303 amplifier, bought in 1972, and have recently replaced the ERA 666 turntable from the same vintage with a Rega P8 and Ania Pro cartridge.  My listening room has been downsized and the Goodman Axiom 301's in their large cabinets have been banished to the garage.  I am looking for compact speakers to complement the Rega.  Also interested to find out if my Quad (refurbished by Dada Electronics) improved upon.

Hi Drew, thanks for your interest.  Budget is probably about A$2K, but not inflexible.  Have heard and was impressed by some Audio Monitor Silver 50's paired with an REL T5i.  Without the REL, the Audio Monitors seemed good, but the REL filled in the bottom end and gave a richness that was similar to the Goodman Axioms.  I liked this arrangement but prefer to keep searching before committing.  

Hi Rob,

There is a useful thread of recommended speakers in various price ranges at:

I have the KEF LS 50s in one of my systems (with a NAD D 3020) and definitely recommend them as worthy of an audition if you are after bookshelf speakers.

Good luck and interested to hear which way you go (with photos always adding extra interest).

Edited by KRSDarwin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the reference to this list.  I have started looking and it has a wealth of information.  I have read positive things about your KEF's but I have not heard them - there are only two serious outlets in Canberra so there are limited options for serious listening tests.  Despite this, I have to say that I have heard some impressive equipment.

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Kevin

I looked at a review of your NAD D 3020.  I am not looking at a replacement amplifier at the moment but reading about the 3020 opened a whole new world beyond my pre-digital Quad 33/303.  So much to learn.

Thanks

Rob

13 hours ago, robwignell said:

Hi Kevin

I looked at a review of your NAD D 3020.  I am not looking at a replacement amplifier at the moment but reading about the 3020 opened a whole new world beyond my pre-digital Quad 33/303.  So much to learn.

Thanks

Rob

Though quite a good $600 rrp amp, I doubt the modest lightweight build NAD D 3020 class D amp is better than the very substantial built Quad 33/303 pre and power solid state class AB combo. On some speakers the NAD might sound more sparkly but not for bass drive and more difficult load speakers. In between the time from 1970s Quad 33/303  production there are plethora of good used amps that could replace it like Musical Fidelity, Rotel pre and power combos, Roksan, Audiolab pre and power combos, Yamaha AS1100, Copland, Audio Analogue Piccuni, Arcam etc.

The Kef Ls50 passives is great and the 50w active version for $2k used ($3500 rrp) in particular will replace your speaker and amp and said to be equivalent to a $10k combo. Not sure how the TT will connect to Kef Ls50w?

Otherwise for speakers alone $2k new doesn’t buy you as much as a used budget for a potential $4-6k rrp very good speaker. If buying used I would recommend larger full range floorstanding speakers like VAF I-66, Krix Esoterix Mk 2 and Euphonix or 250 Monitor, Dynaudio 82 and others, Focal 826 or 1027, Spendor, Sonus Faber, Monitor Audio, Proac Response 2.5 or Studio 200 or 250, Jamo Concert 11, Yamaha NS1000 etc. For bookshelf speakers Proac Response 2, Jamo Concert 8, Whatmough 202, Lenehan, Spendor 1/2, Dynaudio, Sonus Faber etc

@robwignell I see you are in canberra. am pretty sure stores still open for business. id encourage if looking at speakers to very much head out to demo. there are stores in canberra. @Sime might be able to suggest. nothing beats hearing for self to appreciate how things sound. speakers too are such a personal prefernece thing :) one listen often can be a decider. someting just wont gel for you, others will have an instant atttraction and wanting to hear more...

Hi Betty B,  you are right about hearing as the best guide.  My current speakers are a pair of relatively inexpensive Audio Pro cubes which I bought a few years ago when my 12" Goodman 301's were relegated to the garage in a downsizing exercise.  The Audio Pro's are adequate and the total sound is much improved with the addition of a REL T5i.   Duratone demonstrated a pair of Moratori bookshelf speakers that were in a quite distressed state - faded and stained plus the support for the home made passive radiator at the back was cracking and falling to pieces.  They offered them to me at a good price and I am working on replacing the passive radiators and bringing the teak veneer back to life with many layers of French polish.  However, despite their poor external condition, the mid range and high range was exceptionally good.   I hope to have these working in a month or so, it is currently too cold in my garage to do any French polishing.  

If anyone can tell me more about these Moratori designed speakers (the manufacturing company is called Sound Salad) I would be pleased to know.  I believe that Mr Moratori had a high reputation for speaker design in Melbourne and that the Julia model was popular.  I don't believe that these are the Julia Model.  Photos I have seen of the Julia model have a more complex shape on the front of the speaker box.  They may also be a little bigger.   

IMG_3595.jpeg

IMG_3611.jpeg

On 22/08/2020 at 1:58 PM, robwignell said:

Hi Drew, thanks for your interest.  Budget is probably about A$2K, but not inflexible.  Have heard and was impressed by some Audio Monitor Silver 50's paired with an REL T5i.  Without the REL, the Audio Monitors seemed good, but the REL filled in the bottom end and gave a richness that was similar to the Goodman Axioms.  I liked this arrangement but prefer to keep searching before committing.  

Welcome to SNA.

I see you are a fellow Canberran.

I have a pair of ATC SCM12s, bought new in 2006 and those would fit into your budget. Will PM with further background.

Cheers,

David