New Projectors from Sony

TP1

We know that Sony will be releasing new projector models this year -  to be unveiled at Cedia.   The new models - 790ES and 590ES will replace the recently discontinued 760ES and 570Es.  There may be a 290ES as well.

I  haven't heard what the exact changes will be but I would suspect that there will be a number of refinements over current models probably including DTM.   I thought a thread dedicated to new Sony models would be appropriate as new details  come to light. 

Edited by TP1
  • Like 3

Should be good. I hope they deliver. The 500 series was excellent. Increased brightness, lens memory with the processing power to get the image exactly where you saved it and some tone mapping software is needed. And good optics. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, oztheatre said:

Increased brightness, lens memory with the processing power to get the image exactly where you saved it and some tone mapping software is needed. And good optics. 

not asking for much there oz :D but i agree. the 290ES if comes would very much need all of above AND an IRIS... of some kind. dynamic iris would bring in line with epson and jvc... which needs to be at cost these go for ! :)

15 minutes ago, betty boop said:

not asking for much there oz :D but i agree. the 290ES if comes would very much need all of above AND an IRIS... of some kind. dynamic iris would bring in line with epson and jvc... which needs to be at cost these go for ! :)

Well tbh 2 of those should be expected currently but tone mapping would be the icing on the cake.. And I don't even like cake.. but would eat a sony cake haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sony new Flagship      https://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-10K-Lumen-4K-SXRD-Projector-Announced.htm            Sounds like all NEW panels for the Sony range.... ?

msrp expected USD $80 - $85 grand plus cost of the lens! New .74 inch SXRD panels - so one would think this bodes new SXRD panels for an upcoming line of consumer projectors!

Peter (Cineramax) states that "basically the new vw-10k, has a red laser to achieve dci p3, 39 db or less, new lenses to handle the heat, 16k-1 cr. 80 base price w/o lenses. Sounds promising!"

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Sony new Flagship      https://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-10K-Lumen-4K-SXRD-Projector-Announced.htm            Sounds like all NEW panels for the Sony range.... ?

msrp expected USD $80 - $85 grand plus cost of the lens! New .74 inch SXRD panels - so one would think this bodes new SXRD panels for an upcoming line of consumer projectors!

Peter (Cineramax) states that "basically the new vw-10k, has a red laser to achieve dci p3, 39 db or less, new lenses to handle the heat, 16k-1 cr. 80 base price w/o lenses. Sounds promising!"

jeepers ! i dont know too many will get in the home. still no 8k at this price point ? is a bit disappointing i would have thought ... especially for the large scale commercial projection this thing aimed for where 8k likely make sense...

The 590 is going to be lamp based which is expected given the price jump the 7 series.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://rehders.de/tag/sony-vpl-vw590es/&prev=search&pto=aue

4K HOME CINEMA WITH LASER

Sony will present two new home theater projectors in September that have native 4K resolution and dynamic tone mapping for HDR content. These are the models: Sony VPL-VW590 and VPL-VW790, which are to replace their predecessors this year.
The special thing about the new devices is that the VPL-VW790 has long-life laser light technology. Run times of up to 20,000 hours are possible without having to change a lamp. Sony has put an end to expensive lamp changes. The lasers last up to 18 years if the projector runs for three hours a day.
The VPL-VW590 has implemented a conventional UHP lamp.

Dynamic tone mapping for HDR

On top there is a new HDR feature for both models:
So far, the 4K Sony projectors have only played HDR10 content with static tone mapping. So with a fixed maximum brightness. As a result, films sometimes appear too dark or bright image content is outshone. The strength of HDR (High Dynamic Range), however, is to play back films brighter and at the same time with a larger contrast range with an extended color spectrum.
Here I have explained the function of HDR.
This is exactly what the new 4K projectors should now support with dynamic tone mapping for HDR playback.
So far, this has been a unique selling point of JVC, which has built its Frame Adapt HDR technology into the current DLA-N series .
Sony has announced that it will also implement a DSP in its new series, which reproduces HDR content dynamically. The dynamic tone mapping enables the brightest and darkest HDR image signals to be projected.

I will soon test how well the new features work in practice.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Oh jeez I can't wait. Will you be selling the 790, oztheatre?

And is the last line part of the quote, or from you?

Possibly. No that quote is from the article. I am quite interested in the 590ES though as I've had every 500 series from the beginning.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, oztheatre said:

So far, this has been a unique selling point of JVC, which has built its Frame Adapt HDR technology into the current DLA-N series .

I'm curious, does anyone have one of these JVC projectors and use a HTPC for playing content? I've heard good things about MadVR's Dynamic Tone Mapping and wondering how it compares to the JVC projector doing it? 

2 minutes ago, stinger said:

I'm curious, does anyone have one of these JVC projectors and use a HTPC for playing content? I've heard good things about MadVR's Dynamic Tone Mapping and wondering how it compares to the JVC projector doing it? 

you'd have to route everthing through the HTPC :) the reason for the JVC building into the projector is everything you feed it will be dynamically tone mapped. this is distinct to each source needing to have the tone mapping built in. we went through this phase of panasonic and oppo players with their static tone mapping. which ofcourse did nothing for other sources ...

its good reason sony is building into the projector and if is as good as jvc has it, will be set forget. 

by all means doesn't stop you feeding source via htpc. definitely folk run htpc in their setups, but not everyone does or wants to do.  

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

My other hope is that these units will default all hdmi ports to HDCP 2.2... LOL. Or did they fix that last gen?

long fixed id suggest . we have had hdcp2.2 since 2014 :D, JVC got it last gen (since 2015), am sure sony did too with the 570 and 760 :) 

3 hours ago, stinger said:

@wooferocau has  has done comparisons and commented  elsewhere that the tone mapping from MadVr and Lumagen is superior to that of JVC and I would expect them also to outperform Sony's upcoming DTM in their new projectors .  

1 hour ago, Mobe1969 said:

My other hope is that these units will default all hdmi ports to HDCP 2.2... LOL. Or did they fix that last gen?

Sony have had HDCP 2.2  and native 4K for years and at a time when JVC still used a wobble board with a 1080P chip and called it 4k. 

1 hour ago, TP1 said:

@wooferocau has  has done comparisons and commented  elsewhere that the tone mapping from MadVr and Lumagen is superior to that of JVC and I would expect them also to outperform Sony's upcoming DTM in their new projectors .  

Yeah, both DTM, solutions from madVR and Lumagen are very very good...they are quite noticeably superior to the JVC DTM.

From what i have heard by a couple of testers of the NEW SONY  790ES, Sony,s solution isn't actually true DTM  ( more like AUTO contrast manipulation) !!  I think  some are in for some disappointment here !!! ☹️

1 hour ago, TP1 said:

Sony have had HDCP 2.2  and native 4K for years and at a time when JVC still used a wobble board with a 1080P chip and called it 4k. 

No I mean a projector or tv from Sony out of the box didn't enable HDCP 2.2 on their HDMI ports, you had to manually enable it. Otherwise you were wondering why when you played a uhd it would show SDR, 1080p... Inexcusably stupid software decision. I thought it was just their projectors , but apparently panel TV's also.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

~

From what i have heard by a couple of testers of the NEW SONY  790ES, Sony,s solution isn't actually true DTM  ( more like AUTO contrast manipulation) !!  I think  some are in for some disappointment here !!! ☹️

oh groan, what a pity. i wonder then why they didnt just throw it in as a firmware update ! otherwise bringing out a new model for it i would think they'd give it a decent shot ?

8 hours ago, betty boop said:

oh groan, what a pity. i wonder then why they didnt just throw it in as a firmware update ! otherwise bringing out a new model for it i would think they'd give it a decent shot ?

From what i have heard , its NOT a new model at all......just literally a 760ES with a firmware update.... ?  OH!!!! and a big price reduction though  ( at least in the US) ....☺️

• Like 1

Starting to be some "open"  talk on forums about this.....  790ES is basically a 760ES with new firmware and renaming of a certain "Contrast Enhancer"  and it now has an AUTO adjust implementation.....FAR from DTM in any shape or form......such a pity ...☹️

• Like 1

Some exapmles of whats comming out on this.... ☹️

Might not get DTM from Sony or a new improved lens but they changed the model number and added the word "dynamic" to useless functionality...which is nice (sarcasm font off)

I am disappointed to say that is seemingly what they have done.
They should have given the current line a DHDRE update and then given the new ones true new hardware with more capability.
Why they insist on using the same tech over and over and over again but with a new name/coat is beyond me.

It happened with the 550 and the botched attempt at 'full 50/60hz HDR functionality' but using the same 5 year old processing that resulted in horrid 10 to 8 bit conversion that gave massive amounts of banding. Oh but it would accept HDR at 50/60hz in 10 or 12bit, so it is working as intended.
Heads up Sony, there is a massive difference between 'behaving as intended' and doing it as is alluded to, and expected to, from the marketing. It is almost as underhanded as it is misleading.
I cannot express how it makes me feel that any company can get away with such things. 
But I digress....
I may even have been tempted to upgrade had they finally given true 12bit pipelines and panel drivers and some JVC rivalling DTM.
As it stands, I think I will print myself a 790 label to affix to my PJ and then hack the firmware and change the name of the Contrast Enhancer to Dynamic HDR Enhancer.
Then I can sit back content that I have done about the same amount of work on my 'new model' as Sony seem to have done.
Muppets.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, betty boop said:

long fixed id suggest . we have had hdcp2.2 since 2014 :D, JVC got it last gen (since 2015), am sure sony did too with the 570 and 760 :) 

Can anyone confirm if it was fixed on the 570 / 760? On prior gens, they had HDCP 2.2 but they default it to disabled... Same with their panel tvs I read.

Just now, Mobe1969 said:

Can anyone confirm if it was fixed on the 570 / 760? On prior gens, they had HDCP 2.2 but they default it to disabled... Same with their panel tvs I read.

@oztheatre will be best to respond... this sounds like a very odd ball quirk of Sony if ask me :D never heard this with any other brand.