5g Network - how will it change streaming services

We have all heard about 5g network being rolled out and the potential down sides to it. But i cant help but to wonder how long before streaming services jump onto this bandwagon. Or should i say bandwidth wagon. 

If you compare download speed of 800mb file typical size for a dsd 256 file?  on a 3g network this would take 4hour 44min to download. If you compare this to 5g network it takes.... 1 second. 

Sorry if this has been brought up before, i just thought of it while looking at different high end streamer options then i though geeze these could be phased out in 18 months time. 

Streaming services don't choose the medium of connection.

Or were you thinking that a streamer (consumer device) would include 5G connectivity as part of its hardware specification?

7 minutes ago, pasic007 said:

Yeah 5g connectivity. Or would that be too much Interference. 

All that virus transmission and brain-rotting radiation ?

But seriously, you don't normally see native internet connectivity in hi-fi components.

They typically rely on local area network connectivity.

Haha, ive watched my share of those youtube videos. 

It wasnt until recently cars have become hooked up to the net. Tesla, think porsche are doing it too now. 

I think youre right tho, now that i think about it.

Good luck ATM.  It’s limited to Areas with certain towers for both Telstra and Optus....   Conveniently they have placed it where 4G towers are and it’s restrictive limitation, obviously this will expand..

Then you need the device that supports it!   I’m sticking to FTTC in the area as 4G for both Optus and Telstra are too far...

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

Good luck ATM.  It’s limited to Areas with certain towers for both Telstra and Optus....   Conveniently they have placed it where 4G towers are and it’s restrictive limitation, obviously this will expand..

Then you need the device that supports it!   I’m sticking to FTTC in the area as 4G for both Optus and Telstra are too far...

No issue with Starlink coverage. 

5cdb2755021b4c77930987d4.jpg?_ga=2.95354 

They will probably be a lot more competitive with pricing then Optus / Telstra. 

12 hours ago, pasic007 said:

Sorry if this has been brought up before, i just thought of it while looking at different high end streamer options then i though geeze these could be phased out in 18 months time. 

The streaming device will conntect to the streaming service via your home network.... ie. either over wifi, or ethernet cable.

So, firstly, your home network will need to be upgrded to support these speeds.

As well.... the streaming device will need to be able to support those speeds.... eg. wifi 6, or 10 gigabit ethernet.

Then your household connection to the world .... whether that be via the NBN, via a 5G cellular device (like a phone or a 5g-modem)... or using something else .... will need to be upgraded to support those speeds.

The initial versions of the NBN, and the 5G wireless network in Australia only support speeds of 1 gigabit per second.  (ie. about 10 times slower than what you quoted).   That being said, it's enough to stream DSD in real-time.

However the cost to streaming services to deliver this much bandwidth  (eg. gigabits per second to each user.... or even hundreds) is waaaaay too high at this point.

The bandwidths available in fibre optics (almost limitless) will make this a reality within the next few decades.... until then it will be a non-strarter, or at least extremely niche and extremely expensive.

12 hours ago, pasic007 said:

Yeah 5g connectivity

Currently it is too expensive to transmit this much data per second to make it viable.

Also.... 5G cellular services won't deliver the bandwidth you talk about when there are a lot of users connected..... unless we deploy a lot more fibre optics, connected to a lot more local antenna  (eg. every 100 meters down each street).

Wireless is useful.... but fibre optics are a much better solution for most things.... and will eventually run a lot faster than wireless.