Freight & Couriers - Shipping Hi-Fi

Hey fellow Sna members. I am wondering if anyone would be able to tell me the best and cost effective way to ship a pair of speakers from Palmerston North, NZ to Brisbane, Australia. They will weigh around 240kg packaged and palletized. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Edited by Thelastjedi

I have checked interparcel and had no luck with them online. I can try calling them tomorrow when they open. I have also looked into TNT but it seems you need to have am account with them. I am currently looking into LCL Sea Freight and was wondering if anyone else has done this when shipping heavy goods from NZ to AUS. It seems to me the most cost effective and would be alot cheaper than Air Freight.

On 3/4/2021 at 7:19 PM, Eggmeister said:

pallet is the secret

Sadly that wouldn’t stop them from loading stuff on top. It would need a wooden box. 

another thing to check with Aust Post is just because you put a post code on the package doesn’t mean it will get there. 

My postcode is 2064 and a turntable I bought from Brisbane went to Adelaide via Melbourne, eventually back to Sydney then same morning back to Adelaide 5064). Needless to say there was some damage to my vintage turntable. 

The person receiving the package at the post office enters the post code manually.  I always ask to see the screen now. 

Edited by PKay
  • Like 1

Hello Mates,

Which is the reliable and cost effective Courier services to ship a pair of speakers (44kg) from Sydney to Canberra in current COVID restrictions? I have placed an order with Courier Please last week ($115 with insurance), however,  there is no update on pick-up and it has one of the worst customer care service where there no one takes call or respond to email.

Appreciate your assistance in advance. 

On 02/08/2021 at 11:25 AM, Musiq said:

Hello Mates,

Which is the reliable and cost effective Courier services to ship a pair of speakers (44kg) from Sydney to Canberra in current COVID restrictions? I have placed an order with Courier Please last week ($115 with insurance), however,  there is no update on pick-up and it has one of the worst customer care service where there no one takes call or respond to email.

Appreciate your assistance in advance. 

TNT Road Express through Transdirect. Sign up for free and get 10% discount with each shipping. Been using it for a while now. It's great 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DMax said:

TNT Road Express through Transdirect. Sign up for free and get 10% discount with each shipping. Been using it for a while now. It's great 

i also have had good results using TNT through transdirect,avoid couriers please. 

• Like 1

I've had them all damage something before. When you ship enough stuff, **** happens. I have a preference for TNT or DHL, that is based solely on consistent delivery times.

DHL dropped a Classe DR9 amplifier, Couriers Please dropped a pair of JBL 4410 monitors down a flight of stairs, TNT dropped a Vitus RI100 which by the way, has the most rubbish factory packaging. No double boxing here, the binding posts nearly touch the cardboard wall. Getting hot under the collar just thinking about that Vitus amp.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 1

Thing I hate most is shipping any book, vinyl or laserdisc from overseas to Australia.

If they use a box of exact dimensions as the item, and there is the slightest corner knock, your item will be corner knocked....

• Like 1

I remember getting one of the large Apollo Mezzo racks years ago, shipped down from the supplier this was the 1 metre wide one with three 1/2 inch plate glass shelves. When the courier guy slid the box out it bowed in the centre 🤐

Suffice to say it went back with him!

On 26/07/2021 at 5:41 PM, Yamaha_man said:

I just got a 65kg pre amp sent from NZ.

Inter parcel was the cheapest and quickest.
I went through a seperate broker for insurance.

Yamaha_man  - Are you able to advise of the broker you used?  Considering an expensive purchase from the US.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I'm currently contemplating returning home to Sydney from London (after the COVID hysteria dies down of course). 

I've managed to gather some HIFI bits during my time here, namely a pair of Q Acoustics 3030i and a Cambridge Audio CXA80. I'd like to bring these pieces home with me, but I have no idea about how to best ship these home, or if it is even worth it?

Hoping someone could provide some assistance.

Many thanks,

S

My son and his wife are flying home from New York in November. They have already shipped 23 boxes of "stuff" which is successfully filling most of my attic. All boxes arrived home in perfect condition. Took about 3 months to get here. Cost was a lot less than the $6500 for the Airfare in November. The company (Allied ?)did the packing using their boxing etc.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

In today's Age (aka Sydney Morning Herald)-

The United States Postal Service has suspended most of its deliveries to Australia, citing transport problems (ie, not getting flights to Australia).  Aust.Post has nothing to do with this.  People in the US who have posted items to Australia are finding US Post are returning to sender.  "Express Parcel" post is exempt, but will cost ~$100 more in post.  The article suggested that as international travel picks up (eg. passenger flights) the problem will ease.

So don't order anything from the US at the moment!

You will need to create an account to read this:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/consumers-fume-after-us-postal-service-suspends-australian-deliveries-20211001-p58wb8.html

• Like 1

Ordered some gear yesterday from Highend Electronics in California who offer Free Shipping. On previous orders they used USPS but this time they opted to use UPS. Tracking indicates it should arrive on Thursday 7th October by the end of day. The Cable Company only uses FEDEX which is quick, reliable and usually cost $38 USD extra.

USPS may be in tatters but the USA is still OPEN FOR BUSINESS and gear is getting through.

2 minutes ago, PKay said:

Unlike Australia post. I sent an express parcel to Bryan at Audio Note on Tuesday from  Artarmon post office and it still hasn’t made the 10klm across Sydney. 

100%

I ordered something from Brisbane to come to Adelaide, on Monday of this week. It was despatched the same day.

It was sent by the company via Express Post,which I was able to confirm and they provided the tracking number.

I am yet to receive it. A tracking enquiry via the Oz post website show it as "in transit"

Great service........................NOT.

My eBay BD purchase from USA snucked in before USPS imposed the ban. Wouldn't be surprised if many USA eBay stores will now refuse shipping to OZ...

Amazon USA not affected, so far...

2 hours ago, 075Congo said:

Ordered some gear yesterday from Highend Electronics in California who offer Free Shipping. On previous orders they used USPS but this time they opted to use UPS. Tracking indicates it should arrive on Thursday 7th October by the end of day. The Cable Company only uses FEDEX which is quick, reliable and usually cost $38 USD extra.

USPS may be in tatters but the USA is still OPEN FOR BUSINESS and gear is getting through.

Yep there was a political appointee Louis DeJoy put in as Postmaster General of USPS by Trump to wreck the place, he is still in there dismantling bits of it.