Musical Fidelity m6si amp crackling badly

sorry to raise this from the dead

On 28/07/2020 at 9:44 PM, Porky63 said:

Nooooooooo

Did I just have it happen again? I have contacted the repairer( well respected I add) and will drop it off again tomorrow. As I mentioned the capacitors have been replaced and it has only happened once. I am determined to get to the bottom of this problem. I will mention the power supply issue. Can anyone here direct me to the site they saw this info on?
Cheers

Paul

How did it go Porky?

I raised this issue with my Creek Evo Amp below, but I figured with these amps it wasn't worth the trouble. The fact that I can spend all that time and trouble back and forth getting someone to replace components only for it to happen again just got me disinterested in repairing my amp.

I had tried everything, from changing mains cable, chainging speaker cables, flipping speakers from L to R, changing speakers (switching from B&W's to Dynaudio's to plastic speakers), changing power point sources.

Seeing the value of this creek amp ain't high, I might as well get a new one. Just a bit annoyed these things go bust when all they do is sit on your rack for year and years.

On 28/07/2020 at 5:14 PM, Porky63 said:

Nooooooooo

Did I just have it happen again? I have contacted the repairer( well respected I add) and will drop it off again tomorrow. As I mentioned the capacitors have been replaced and it has only happened once. I am determined to get to the bottom of this problem. I will mention the power supply issue. Can anyone here direct me to the site they saw this info on?
Cheers

Paul

Whats the update? found out the issue for good?

Thanks.

36 minutes ago, Blackspider777 said:

Whats the update? found out the issue for good?

Thanks.

Hi Gents

Still no luck on what causes it. Had it in with the repairer for a few days and it did not replicate the problem. Got it home set it up and it happens again. Said I would get it on video to show what was happening but it was too brief and I did not have the phone close by. Trouble is I can have weeks where it is fine then it just happens.

The first time it happened I just thought it was a power surge or something similar. Happened infrequently from then over the past 12 months or so.

The last time it kept happening for two days. It happens on both the cd and phono. Really annoying for a $4500 amp that is a little over 5 years old. If I get it on video I will try both the repairer and the vendor I purchased from. It may not be the amp but I am really at a loss at the moment.

Still happy to hear if anyone has had a similar experience or have I just been unlucky?

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Sorry for reviving an old thread. Last week my M6si started making some random scary cracking noises through both speakers. I dismantled my system then added components back one by one, triple checking the connections. It was perfectly fine for a couple of days and no cracking noise. I just went to listen to some music and it has no power! I'm guessing the power supply has shat itself. It's just over 5 years old. Disappointing.

Hi Chigurh

Just saw this tonight. Mine has been quite the journey with this amp. Two local repairers and problem still existed. Had been in contact with the Australian importer of MF Audio Marketing and had spoken to their repairer.

Eventually sent it over to Sydney and they Replaced the transistors, capacitors and resistors on both channels. 
Had it back now for a couple of months and all running well. Was not covered by warranty. Still yet to try with the agent.

Of course they had not encountered this before........

Anyway live and learn. Really happy to have it back and running without the worry of it happening again. Happy to chat via pm if you want more details. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've just the the quote back for the repair for my M6Si. Apparently it needs a new digital power PCB which costs $740. The whole repair will be $1017. I'm going ahead with the repair as it's still a lot cheaper than a new amplifier.

3 hours ago, Chigurh said:

I've just the the quote back for the repair for my M6Si. Apparently it needs a new digital power PCB which costs $740. The whole repair will be $1017. I'm going ahead with the repair as it's still a lot cheaper than a new amplifier.

Just having a look at a picture of the inside of the amp. I have pointed to what I reckon is the the digital power supply board. Given that the board uses snap in connectors and is therefore in the order of a 5 min job to replace the $300 charge for diagnosis and replacement seems excessive to me. The cost of the power supply board also seems very high but manufacturers can charge what they like for replacement parts.

34231A40-E0AB-41B7-B084-26617760E143.jpeg

On 04/06/2021 at 3:30 PM, Ozcall said:

Given that the board uses snap in connectors and is therefore in the order of a 5 min job to replace the $300 charge for diagnosis and replacement seems excessive to me.

Oh well, they have got me by the short and curlies. If it's just snap-on connectors and no soldering involved it does look easy and possibly DIY. They told me that there is only one available in Australia. I wouldn't know where to source one from. BTW it's not $300 for labour, it's $185 plus GST. 🙂

Edited by Chigurh

13 minutes ago, Chigurh said:

Oh well, they have got me by the short and curlies. If it's just snap-on connectors and no soldering involved it does look easy and possibly DIY. They told me that there is only one available in Australia. I wouldn't know where to source one from.

Yep , unfortunately they do. Even if you were able to source the psu from the uk at a better price that would just piss the repairer off. I am surprised to see what looks like a switchmode psu in such a highend amp but Linn uses them in most of their products and have done so for some considerable time. Switchmode psu's are not a reliable as Linear psu's or so I have been told.

Just doing some background reading on this problem and came across this thread https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/musical-fidelity-m6si-js-audio-modified-integrated-amplifier.235850/

And this comment The internal PSU failed (a common fault apparently), so John repaired/upgraded that at a cost of £65
I don’t have the details of the JS Audio upgrade (John’s well known for not providing paperwork) however I do know Stage 2 includes upgrading the 8 capacitors across the two power boards (Stage 1 doesn’t have this). Stage 2 upgrade cost me £950.

As you can see the psu board was repaired and upgraded for 65 pounds.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ozcall said:

As you can see the psu board was repaired and upgraded for 65 pounds.

Yes, thanks for the info but I don't think sending to the UK for repair is viable.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2021 at 12:19 PM, Ozcall said:

Wasn't suggesting you do that, just indicating that the boards can be repaired for a very reasonable cost rather than replacing  them.

I've asked the tech to keep the faulty PCB for me. I might send it off and if it's repairable, I'll keep it as a spare.

Glad to hear that you have it sorted for repair. Mine has not missed a beat after three repairers. Final fix was $600 but cost more if you add the non fix repairs. System is really sounding sweet now so happy as a pig in ........ sorry about to make another Porky reference. Sometimes we just have to run with whatever option is presented rather than have something that doesn’t work.

Happy listening.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2021 at 12:19 PM, Ozcall said:

just indicating that the boards can be repaired for a very reasonable cost rather than replacing  them.

Do you have any recommendations for a repairer that I could send the faulty PCB to?

BTW I picked up the repaired amp this week and so far it's working as good as new again.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Any idea if the new M6si units have the rectified power supply? from reading online the people who have this issue with their M6si, their amps are 5-6 years old.

So guess the new units are rectified? any new owners of the M6si have issues?

Thanks.

Edited by Blackspider777