Configure Yamaha AVR to startup in Pure Direct mode

Hi, I’m looking to glean some expertise on how to set up my Yamaha AVR to start up with Pure Direct mode enabled. 

I listen to music via Airplay so the receiver turns on automatically when I send audio to it. I have also set up my tv to turn on the receiver when the tv is turned on. 

In both of these cases I don’t have any direct interaction with the AVR. However, I want the audio to be produced in Pure Direct mode by default. At the moment I either have to fumble around for the remote, physically access the AVR, or use the Yamaha remote app to enable Pure Direct. All of these are a pain when I just want to set and forget. 

I have tried to play around with the Scene settings to find a solution, maybe I’m not doing it right, but I haven’t been able to use this to solve my dilemma. 

Please help me find a way to enable Pure Direct from startup. 

I thought Yamaha Receivers remembered all the settings for last input used. I'm sure that our RX-A3080 does if I use Pur Direct with say my SACD Player etc. I'm not at home so can't check. It might not and I might just automatically switch to that mode without thinking about it

Anyway if you access your Yamaha Receiver's setup via a web browser and its IP Address (use the settings button on the remote to find your Receivers IP address) with the following URL:

http://(insert IP address here)/Setup/index.html

eg:

http://10.0.0.29/Setup/Index.html

You will see something like this:

snapshot001-jpg.1092402

Graphic taken from:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/yamaha-receiver-manager-later-models.2203217/#lg=attachment1092402&slide=0

See if you can configure Pure Direct mode as the default setting. You might need to hunt around to check all the available settings and options.

Edited by bizzibee
  • Like 1

What model number is the AVR. Some don't seem to have access to a "Setup Page" as above. Some seem to work slightly differently when you try and save a "Scene" too.

Thanks @bizzibee! I had no idea such a configuring tool was available. I haven't had success trying to solve my dilemma as I haven't been able to find a way to set the default setting to Pure Direct. In the Scene menu there is an option to recall settings, I was hoping modifying these would bring success but I was wrong. If I could force the AVR to load a scene on startup or selected input, I hope this would work, cause I can set a scene to use Pure Direct. I just can't see how to automatically load a scene or even if that is possible.

@bob_m_54 it turns out my receiver, RX-V3073, works with the Web Setup. I had never seen/heard of this before, so pretty cool, I just couldn't find a way to resolve my problem.

@Snoopy8 not a bad idea about the remote but at best it would only solve half my problem. My receiver is controlled by the tv and the IR receiver on the AVR isn't visible, the AVR is hidden, the TV uses the simpli-HDMI (sp) control language to turn on the receiver and adjust the volume. The other side is Airplay, I don't even use a remote to start playback now and I don't really want to have to, that's the beauty of it...

If you're turning your amp on via a 3rd party input (Apple's Airplay) then you'll be barking up the wrong tree.

Modern AVR's will allow you more flexibility, but you don't have that... so, you're out of luck.

BTW - even though your amp is hidden, you can still connect an IR receiver to control it via a Logitech.

However, as you're trying to use Airplay and NOT a Scene from Yamaha or a macro from Logitech, you still won't achieve your goal.

Basically, if you want to use Airplay, you're trying to integrate something that's not compatible with your hardware.

Thanks @Dunnersfella for your input. I think you're probably right but just checking, my receiver has Airplay integrated into the hardware. The receiver sits on the network and an iOS device can see the avr in standby mode and then send audio to it which triggers the the receiver to turn on from standby through the network.

This may be what you meant but just wanted to check...

@bizzibee mentioned that he thought his receiver would turn on to the setting last used, that would work great for me but it doesn't seem to work for Pure Direct, for me at least.

Edited by Lashes
grammar

Yes, both of mine will turn on with the last input selected, and last sound programme used, but not Pure Direct, or Scenes. So I can't see a way to do it, at this stage anyway.

12 hours ago, DrSK said:

On a tangent, I always got a quality drop using Airplay compared to Chromecast on my RXA 2030. 

There is an earlier Airplay that was limited compared to the current Airplay 2 (2017 IOS 11).

On 07/06/2020 at 6:34 PM, Lashes said:

@bizzibee mentioned that he thought his receiver would turn on to the setting last used, that would work great for me but it doesn't seem to work for Pure Direct, for me at least.

I checked this for you and I just instinctively switch to Pure Direct mode without thinking about it. Sorry for misleading you.