Denon DL-110 phono cartridge

9 minutes ago, VinylSuzy said:

Thanks to this thread, I'll soon be in possession of the Denon DL-110 via Amazon. It's replacing an Audio Technica of unknown model (bright yellow plastic) that's been on the turntable since I bought it around 30 years ago. From what I've read the DL-110 will be fine on my old-ish (non-mc) system although I'll need to find a way to weight the headshell by a couple of grams.

You've all saved me hours of research and a bunch of $$. Many thanks :)

It comes with a weight, not sure how heavy but I would think about 1.5g  I have a mm and mc pre and have it set to mm but you do need to turn it up a notch more

19 minutes ago, cambam007 said:

It comes with a weight, not sure how heavy but I would think about 1.5g  I have a mm and mc pre and have it set to mm but you do need to turn it up a notch more

That's great news. The turntable only needs extra weight below 6g. A 1.5g weight on the 4.8g cartridge should do the trick. Don't mind turning it up a notch.

47 minutes ago, VinylSuzy said:

From what I've read the DL-110 will be fine on my old-ish (non-mc) system although I'll need to find a way to weight the headshell by a couple of grams.

@VinylSuzy there is a cheap Rek-O-Kut headshell that comes with 3 interchangeable weights, though some people just use blutac. Available through Esoteric Sounds in the States or possibly  Decibel in Brisbane.

Edited by Bell Ringer
Typo

1 hour ago, VinylSuzy said:

Thanks to this thread, I'll soon be in possession of the Denon DL-110 via Amazon. It's replacing an Audio Technica of unknown model (bright yellow plastic) that's been on the turntable since I bought it around 30 years ago. From what I've read the DL-110 will be fine on my old-ish (non-mc) system although I'll need to find a way to weight the headshell by a couple of grams.

You've all saved me hours of research and a bunch of $$. Many thanks :)

what TT are you using it with?  Is the headshell interchangable?

16 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

what TT are you using it with?  Is the headshell interchangable?

It's an Ariston Q Deck. It doesn't look as if the headshell can be removed.

42 minutes ago, Bell Ringer said:

@VinylSuzy there is a cheap Rek-O-Kut headshell that comes with 3 interchangeable weights, though some people just use blutac. Available through Esoteric Sounds in the States or possibly  Decibel in Brisbane.

Thanks for the tip. When the new cartridge arrives I'll know more, but it's likely all will be well given the DL-110 comes with a weight.

37 minutes ago, VinylSuzy said:

It's an Ariston Q Deck. It doesn't look as if the headshell can be removed.

Thanks for the tip. When the new cartridge arrives I'll know more, but it's likely all will be well given the DL-110 comes with a weight.

A quick look at the manual for your TT on vinyl engine shows this information -

Capture.JPG.16c9ba5bed826c8db05dda0d5a00cfc6.JPG

but the manual didnt provide the effective tonearm mass.

A quick google returned that the Q deck was fitted with a Jelco SA 250ST  tonearm and the effective mass was 20gram?, I am not familiar with your TT but if its the Q deck talked about on the forums it could be correct.

The DL110 weighs in at 4.8grams then add your screw set at maybe 1gram tops.

The DL110 dynamic compliance converted to 10hz is approx 14.  I dont think using a weight will actually make much difference if the arm has a mass of 20grams and the cart is 5.5 including hardware.  You fall in at 8hz on the resonance calculator, its the minimum but you in the green range and adding a few grams to your headshell increasing the effective tonearmass still yields 8hz on the calculator.  This is assuming the effective tonearm mass is 20grams and that your Q deck does have that Jelco arm.

The DL110 is a lovely cart, plug it in and enjoy it, you can add a blob of blutack if you want to try but I reckon you'll be fine to plug and play.

cheers.

Edited by 08Boss302
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bell Ringer said:

I have used blu tac to set up a DJ cart on a non DJ deck.

Weighed the blu tac on a digital scale first to make sure exactly how much I was adding.

Tac keep itself attached and is non resonant.

Mate was very happy.

Thanks all of you. The less I have to mess about the better to avoid breaking anything :)

I've plenty of blutac on hand to experiment with, and even dug out a tiny set of digital scales that weigh in g to two decimal places. (I've a tendency to hoard - ha ha.)

• Like 1

Too cheap to pass up so one of these is on its way to the church.

Liked the 103 & 103R ive used previously and am curious on how this fares against mt AT ART9 so we'll see in about a week. 

Oh and cheers all for the heads up on the Amazon link ?

• Like 2

Guest The Fresh Prince

I have ordered one, but have realised it is not ideal for my arm.

One of you can have it for the same I paid, plus post. PM me

• 2 months later...