I bought the entry Stax SRS-3100 which is a combination of SR-L300 headphone and the SRM-252S energiser lately.

My source is an Intel NUC running ROCK (Roon on Linux). It feeds the Stax via a tiny iFi nano iDSD DAC. 

Do you think the iFi is doing justice to the Stax? My impression of the Stax so far is mediocre. Nothing outstanding and wonder it is the DAC.

Your opinions welcome.

Cheers

Michael 

Maybe try some other headphones,  there are some dynamic stuff that really shine.   Go and audition some while taking you stax combo with you compare....  Headphones are a very personal thing, you either love it or hate,  it’ll either agree with you or it won’t.

22 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Maybe try some other headphones,  there are some dynamic stuff that really shine.   Go and audition some while taking you stax combo with you compare....  Headphones are a very personal thing, you either love it or hate,  it’ll either agree with you or it won’t.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Given that I have bought the Stax, my hunt is on a matching DAD.

BTW: Audiophilestyle has a review of the Stax SRM-700T energizer, details here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/review-stax-audio-srm-700t-amplifier-energizer-for-electrostatic-headphones-r901/ 

• 1 month later...

@mtan002

would be on the hunt for an Electrocompaniet ECD-1 dac. Fond memories of the dac and wonderful pairing with stax, in my case it was srm717 energizer and sr-404 ear speakers. 
I would also audition a Chord electronics dac perhaps a HD or Qute version which can be had now for very reasonable coin secondhand 

Neo

Edited by Neo

• 1 month later...

I've had a lot of time for headphone listening while in lockdown over the last few months and the better half working from home.

I have a collection of headphones nothing too expensive including:

Audio-Technica: MX40's, Air700's & Air900x's

Sennheiser: HD280 Pro's and PXC550's

BrainWavz : HM5's

AKG: K242 HD's

AudioFly: A140's

Sony: MD7506's

I like them all, each on their own are very good, especially the AKG's and the Audiofly's and for noise attenuation the Sennheiser HD280's are incredible and it's good to have some one handy nearby in case you have trouble freeing your head from their grip. 

But in comparison to my 40 year old Stax Lambda with SRD-7b all of the other's special positive characteristics are highlighted but their overall performance lack.

I've spent hours with the Stax and you can start to take them for granted, but I keep going back and that first moment of astonishment as to what they do never gets old.

I consider the AKG K242HD's pretty special for not a lot of dollars as do I the Audiofly IEM's that I picked up recently for a very low price when I read a recommendation from a fellow SNA'er (I can't remember who but he has my eternal thanks).

The Stax have never blown me away, and I think that is their magic, 40 years on from analogue to digital they are consistently excellent. The Roger Federer of headphones.

• 3 months later...

I have a minty 001mk2 coming in a few days, might post a review if i get the time.
I've owned 404LE, 207, SR5 Gold in the past running off a SRD/poweramp combo so I'm interested to see how well this stacks up.

It came with the original, optional power adapter so battery quality won't be an issue.

Initial impressions, incredible detail as expected of a vintage stax but stage is a tad narrow compared to SR-207. Far wider than any IEM I've heard though. This thing has punchy bass that extends fairly deep. Punchier than HiFiMan Arya but not as extended. The sound dramatically improves when using the wall wart instead of regular AA batteries. Comfort is said to be poor and the inexpensive CES A1 kit is designed to address this as well as make these closed back. Fortunately, I have been using this for a near continual 8hrs without the CES a1 and have had no issues.

Overall this gives you everything you would expect from an electrostatic but with killer bass.

20201130_103434.jpg

20201130_103929.jpg

20201130_103225.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I would like some advice about whether I'm on the right track with a plan.  I've had a Stax SR3 and SRD5SB combination for a long time.  In good condition and a pleasure to listen with.  I recently found a Stax SR207.  Looks to be in good condition.  Should I be looking for a driver unit that will enable me to connect both sets of earspeakers, or should I just find one to suit the SR207?

The 207 is a "pro" headphones instead of a "normal" SR3. All newer Stax headphones use a higher bias voltage. You can still use the old energizer, but might t need to turn it up to get sufficient volume. My understanding is not current is needed and in the longer run might actually damage the headphones. You are probably better off buying a low end or second hand energizer with pro output.

Thanks for that, you're right I think.  I'll look for a pro output energizer, give up on my usual route of the hardest way.

• 2 months later...

After years of hunting around, I finally found what I was looking for, the Stax SR-X Mk3 Professional. This model was released only in Japan in 1985 to mark Stax’s 25th anniversary of manufacturing ‘Earspeakers’. Built as a monitor and costing ¥27,000 at the time, it essentially mated an ultra-thin 1.5 micron membrane from the Gamma Pro inside the regular SR-X Mk3 housing. I’ve always liked the latter for its clean, natural midrange but wanted to know what the Pro edition was like. Well having now procured one, I’ve discovered that it is an altogether different proposition, exhibiting none of the SR-X Mk3’s notoriously shy bass or peaky treble. Rather, it sounds authoritatively composed and linear across the full spectrum. Detail comes across with lifelike realism. In Jon Anderson & Vangelis’ ‘Friends of Mr Cairo’ (remastered) I am hearing unprecedented layers, and in Boz Scaggs’ ‘Thanks To You’ the bass goes down scary low. I’ve not had an opportunity to do any comparisons with SR-007 or SR-009, and frankly few have because of this headphone’s scarcity, but that would be interesting. 

Its supra-aural design is hardly where interest lies these days, and Stax quickly went circumaural after this model, but in its time SR-X Mk3 Pro was top of the tree, and today it still carries a hefty reputation in sonic terms. Antonio Scozzaro described its performance glowingly in his 2012 soundbsessive review, and Sorrodje published a series of response charts in superbestaudiofriends in 2016 based on a fine rare specimen loaned to him by Ali-Pacha. Several other examples have appeared on Head-fi over the years, but these were mainly made up from parts by Spritzer and therefore not original. 

SR-X Mk 3 Pro is really hard to come by, and there’s limited literature. I purchased this original one after ten years of searching from a well-known collector in Poland. Thankfully there are no channel imbalance or buzzing issues etc. that can plague vintage stats, but it does take an hour to fully charge the stators. I have it paired with the SRM-717, which the seller recommended is one of the best drivers for them. 

P6080003.jpeg