Macintosh OSX - 30 year consultant. Ask me anything.

11Parsecs

23 hours ago, Dolphy said:

Any ideas on what I can do with 2 mac minis lying around. One is 2013 and 2015. They're sitting in my desk gathering dust

I use a late 2014 as my music library and for playing through Amarra to the DAC. Works a treat. (Although Amara's foibles are annoying its sound quality is still my favourite.)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 11Parsecs said:

The Intel NUC 9'

My main home server is x86..... so I can publish apps / VMs from there, and access them remotely from MacOS or Linux.

That being said, if a couple of key things don't hurry up with ARM Linux support .... then I might be heading back to MacOS for work (I am Linux for work, and MacOS for pleasure).

2 hours ago, 11Parsecs said:

start with a fresh wipe/build

I think I'm as superstitius about "fresh install" with OSX these days, as I used to be with Windows.

• Like 1

I'm thinking out aloud, so if anyone can help then please do.

I was going to replace the hard disk in a MBP (mid 2010) 7,1 (High Sierra) with an SSD.  The complication is the Bootcamp partition on the existing internal disk has 1 program that is mission critical.

Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) is fine for the Mac partition, but won't clone the Bootcamp partition and make it bootable.  Everyone suggests WinClone.  After an initial investigation, I foresee a number of problems though ...

My bootcamp is Windows XP.  XP is not mentioned on the Winclone site - all the talk is about much newer Macs, latest versions of Winclone and Win 10/11.  So, not even sure that Winclone 6 or 7 (for High Sierra) will clone an XP Bootcamp.  There are also lots of "issues" on the 2Canoes support page (particularly cloning/booting to/from USB) so Winclone may not be an easy straightforward technique like CCC is for Mac.  So will Winclone 6 clone XP?

OR

I could go to a re-install technique

• clone the Mac partition with CCC to the SSD in an external USB case,
  • insert the new SSD into the MBP,
  • create a bootcamp partition on the new SSD,
  • re-install Windows XP (if I can find the Windows install disk),
  • re-install the DEQX software (which is all I use Windows for).

BUT - will Microsoft allow XP to be installed/registered these days?  [For example, you can't install Office 11 for Mac even if you have a valid keycode because the old servers at MS to complete the registration just aren't there and the installation fails.]

I don't really want to buy a new Windows laptop just to run 1 program.  Even if I just buy a Windows licence, will that even work in a Bootcamp partition on a Mac this old.

I may have confuddled myself but it is not clear whether it's worthwhile starting my "upgraded disk" project if it is this messy.

Any glimmer of hope appreciated.

1 hour ago, aechmea said:

I'm thinking out aloud, so if anyone can help then please do.

Any glimmer of hope appreciated.

"davewantsmoore" (post before yours) looks like he'd have a better handle on it than me.

First: Can your "legacy" PC software run in some sort of emulation under windows 10?

If yes, things will be much simpler. Bootcamp from 10.13.6 onwards is super simple. Grab ISO from MS, and go. You can get a "pro" licence for less than $20AUD that Microsoft will honour.

If no:

Been down this road - trying to extract the windows side of bootcamp with a "you beaut" cloning process. It was... vexing.

Don't mean to be glib, but...

Path of least resistance.

Sorta:

Windows XP on Ivy Bride: CPU's within the "3000" nomenclature.

Thought my Mac rebuild instructions were intricate?

Windows XP on Haswell CPU.

Gulp.

I'd get something like an Ivy Bridge "3xxx" FIRST - as you'll retain a working copy of your PC software while you fiddle - then work out your Order Of Operations on the PC side - drivers/licenses/techniques etc.

Guys like:

This:
https://www.youtube.com/c/Britec09/playlists

And this:
https://www.youtube.com/c/CareyHolzman/videos

Can be helpful.

Good luck 007, the world is depending on you. Again.

Edited by 11Parsecs
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 11Parsecs said:

In the hope of some community building, I'm going to deputize:

aechmea

and

Honreekea

To assist you. They've just been down this road, and will have a fresh take on things.

you are cheeky, Parsecs......   But thanks for the vote of confidence . .... I'll assist if I can

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Honreekea said:

you are cheeky, Parsecs......   But thanks for the vote of confidence . .... I'll assist if I can

... Takes one to know one.

Funny, I started this thread so I could be first in line when Blue Ocean Boy sells his latest Audeze headphones.

Which he seems to do after two weeks of use 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
23 hours ago, 11Parsecs said:

In the hope of some community building, I'm going to deputise:

aechmea

and

Honreekea

To assist you. They've just been down this road, and will have a fresh take on things.

Hey, how about that, that's progress for you.  Promoted from feather duster to rooster already.

Help if I can but its going to be limited to what I am currently doing.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, 11Parsecs said:

"davewantsmoore" (post before yours) looks like he'd have a better handle on it than me.

My advice is the same / similar

Don't clone anything.

Install OSX onto the new blank SSD.

Get a windows (10) ISO from Microsoft... and install it with bootcamp installer.

You can buy an ebay license for $20 .... or you can just run windows unactivated for free.

Install the highest version of windows you can.   If it has to be XP, then sure, and it wil install fine (AFAIUI) ..... but you would want to avoid it (XP) at all costs.

Alternatives:

Install OSX fresh, and restore your environment from backup.

Clone OSX partition (really don't recommend this approach).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

My advice is the same / similar

Don't clone anything.

Install OSX onto the new blank SSD.

Get a windows (10) ISO from Microsoft... and install it with bootcamp installer.

You can buy an ebay license for $20 .... or you can just run windows unactivated for free.

Install the highest version of windows you can.   If it has to be XP, then sure, and it wil install fine (AFAIUI) ..... but you would want to avoid it (XP) at all costs.

Alternatives:

Install OSX fresh, and restore your environment from backup.

Clone OSX partition (really don't recommend this approach).

Thanks Dave.

Thats the direction that I'm heading now after my investigations over the last day or 2.  My sole Windows program can run on anything (XP => 10) so can start afresh with Win.

My research shows that my MBP hardware (7,1 13" mid 2010) is too old to run Win 10 or 8, so looking at Win 7.

Also asking my son whether he has an unused Win laptop.  If he has then I won't need to worry about a Bootcamp at all and can go ahead and upgrade my old MBP with battery, RAM, and SSD; Windows free.

The quest continues.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave.

My research shows that my MBP hardware (7,1 13" mid 2010) is too old to run Win 10 or 8, so looking at Win 7.

The quest continues.

You must really like Solitaire 🙂

As Dave said, Win 10 will run on ANYTHING.

A note on Bootcamp. You'll have to remove the - old -internal drive first (and replace with shiny new SSD).

Bootcamp process won't start with more than one physical/logical drive present. You can always boot off the old internal drive with an external caddy after your install bootcamp, on the Mac side anyway.

... But grab any important PC data files before you start the whole shebang. Does your Win app have an "export" function?

Cheers.

12 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Why?

I don't think that is correct.... the requirements for windows 10 are very low.

According to Apple, Win 10 needs a MBP of 2012 or newer.  Mine is mid 2010.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201468  (list of valid models is near top of page)

My 13" also misses out on Win 8.1 too (will work on 15" and 17" but not 13")

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201457   (list of valid models a few scrolls down)

Dunno.  Hardware drivers? screen size? video card? 

9 minutes ago, 11Parsecs said:

You must really like Solitaire 🙂

As Dave said, Win 10 will run on ANYTHING.

A note on Bootcamp. You'll have to remove the - old -internal drive first (and replace with shiny new SSD).

Bootcamp process won't start with more than one physical/logical drive present. You can always boot off the old internal drive with an external caddy after your install bootcamp, on the Mac side anyway.

... But grab any important PC data files before you start the whole shebang. Does your Win app have an "export" function?

Cheers.

Yes, thanks.

I was going to build the Mac system first on the shiny new, then replace the internal old.  Run that for a while and install Mac stuff as needed, then do the Bootcamp with Win 7 (or 10???).  No rush for the Bootcamp.

The Win program is the software to generate digital filters (amongst other things) for the DEQX processor in my hifi system (speaker correction, room correction, sub integration, EQ ..... ).  All of my data is contained in a single folder; just normal files that can be copied.  I can install the actual program again, no problems.

I think that my only problem now is finding the right Windows, getting an ISO and a valid key.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, aechmea said:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201468  (list of valid models is near top of page)

My 13" also misses out on Win 8.1 too (will work on 15" and 17" but not 13")

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201457   (list of valid models a few scrolls down)

Dunno.  Hardware drivers? screen size? video card? 

A quick search brought up this:

There may be better guides? (with a  deeper dive on all the hits from the search above)

Edited by 11Parsecs
  • Like 1

Yes, thanks.

I was going to build the Mac system first on the shiny new, then replace the internal old.  Run that for a while and install Mac stuff as needed, then do the Bootcamp with Win 7 (or 10???).  No rush for the Bootcamp.

The Win program is the software to generate digital filters (amongst other things) for the DEQX processor in my hifi system (speaker correction, room correction, sub integration, EQ ..... ).  All of my data is contained in a single folder; just normal files that can be copied.  I can install the actual program again, no problems.

I think that my only problem now is finding the right Windows, getting an ISO and a valid key.

Sounds like a solid plan.

Win 10 "ISO" is easy, you get can directly it from MS:

Bootcamp (when you'r ready) will just pick up the iso from your ssd and do the rest.

The kid in the video above does a pretty good walk though.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10ISO

Edited by 11Parsecs

Thanks all,

Well, it appears that the yellow brick road to Xanadu is cleared of major hurdles.  So now its time to buy the hardware and software and continue the "project" with the expectation of a positive result.

I will report back with milestones (or if it goes pear-shaped - haha - no chance.)

PS. my son does have an unused Win laptop, so that is a nice safety net.

Edited by aechmea
  • Like 1

If you only have a single app you’re running in windows, I wouldn’t bother with boot camp. Just install parallels or fusion under macOS and make a virtual machine.

I use this to do my room correction for my Anthem processor and any of my audiolense tweaking. when it’s not in use it’s just a dormant file on the hdd.

Best of all, it’s now easily portable across all of your machines which has proven handy for me as I have a number of old MacBook pros with various device connectivity options.

• Like 1
On 22/10/2021 at 3:07 PM, aechmea said:

Hmmm... Ok, maybe something about secure boot.    Won't matter for what you want.  Run 7.

On 22/10/2021 at 3:21 PM, aechmea said:

an ISO and a valid key.

From the MS website... and you don't need a key.

• Like 1

Happy that the road map is clear enough so ordered the hardware bits yesterday.  Excited.

Hmm, then I thought "its 10 years old and the back has never been off, I hope that I can get the screws out"  hmmm.

Anyway, all good.  3 (of the 10) were very stubborn but came away eventually with the second screwdriver (which seemed to be a slightly better fit).