Fortnite Over Forty? (ok over 14 then?)

I'm defiantly over 40 but Fortnite is to fast for me lol. I play Xbox COD as I just like to run around & shoot stuff.

My boy plays competitive Raimbow6: Siege, good for a bit of pocket money now & then. Finding a good team to start with was the hard part.

• Like 1

Yeah, it is pretty hectic, and has a STEEEEP learning curve, like 9 to 12 months. But maybe that's because I had NEVER gamed in my life before.

Oh, leisure time. Well this is different ?

There are specific moves and combinations of moves that you need to practise before it all "flows" - Similar to learning an instrument. Amateur to virtuoso is just how much time you put in (I have almost none, so there's that).

I find the "game sense" is easy, probabilities of success or failure depending on resources, how many people dropped and where, terrain... a bunch of variables. It's the "hand to hand" close combat, coupled with building/editing structures that's challenging. Move, counter move. Always 3 to 4 steps ahead, while orchestrating at least 9 different key binds, and several mouse binds - that are contextual, depending on what mode you're in.

Actually, it's like chess - in 3d, and real time. 

Yeah, my boy is getting into the competitive side of Fortnite.

How much time does yours commit to R6S?

My boy went flat out for 12 months, got pretty good - hundreds of wins.

Doesn’t play it anymore as it’s “yesterday’s game”.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JC. said:

My boy went flat out for 12 months, got pretty good - hundreds of wins.

Doesn’t play it anymore as it’s “yesterday’s game”.

Does he still game, or did he move on to other interests?

11 minutes ago, 11Parsecs said:

Does he still game, or did he move on to other interests?

He was playing soccer. Made it to A-Grade club and got state selected and then decided he didn’t like it anymore. (Parental disbelief). 

He still Games...now heavily involved in a game called Rust. Involves clanning with other internet players to survive. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I started playing Fortnite season 7 after seeing my son play it. I'm over 50 and really can't get the hang of build fighting. But I enjoy it, got close to 100 wins, only 14 solo though. Once it enters a build fight I'm done. Used to be a big camper but got better than that.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SGS said:

I started playing Fortnite season 7 after seeing my son play it. I'm over 50 and really can't get the hang of build fighting. But I enjoy it, got close to 100 wins, only 14 solo though. Once it enters a build fight I'm done. Used to be a big camper but got better than that.

Yeah, the building is similar to learning a musical instrument - you have to do explicit "drills" so that your muscle memory takes over. There's guides galore, as you probably know.

My teenage son and I got really good at duos (sitting next to each other on 2 PC's), and then he took an unexpected interest at getting his grades up, especially math - so we only play about once a month now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 11Parsecs said:

Yeah, the building is similar to learning a musical instrument - you have to do explicit "drills" so that your muscle memory takes over. There's guides galore, as you probably know.

My teenage son and I got really good at duos (sitting next to each other on 2 PC's), and then he took an unexpected interest at getting his grades up, especially math - so we only play about once a month now.

Could try to learn to build but I really can't be bothered. I did practice doing 90's, I was slow. 

I enjoy playing a ground game, I can build a box when needed or ramps to get to places pretty quick.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks, I'm the old dog lol. 25 years ago I gamed as well, Doom F1GP mainly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2020 at 9:11 PM, SGS said:

build fighting

Haha, I don't know if this is a coined phrase or you made it up, but it fits and made me chuckle. I've never played Fortnite, because it looks dumb, mainly because of the "build fighting". I wonder though, if that was the intention of the developer, or did players just make it into a tactic? From the few clips I've seen, they build stuff before their opponents can kill them.

Anyway, like I said, it looks very lame to me. That constant grabbing over the shoulder movement is so annoying lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esoterica said:

hat constant grabbing over the shoulder movement is so annoying lol.

Ah, the right hand peek ?

Hey, how do I get my "gear" to show up in my profile? Do I need a minimum number of posts or something?

On 14/10/2020 at 5:40 PM, 11Parsecs said:

Ah, the right hand peek ?

Hey, how do I get my "gear" to show up in my profile? Do I need a minimum number of posts or something?

Right hand peek? I just thought it was grabbing their weapon, but guess it's a tactic now?

To show gear or anything (well not any, but most) just put it as your 'signature' in your profile ;)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Billy Shears said:

Downloaded and got hooked on Fortnight after the PS5 arrived yesterday - love it.

Yup - hectic- but not complicated like other FPS games.

Yeah, we won't see you for a while, takes a while to master the building/mechanics.

Here's some handy guides to get you going:

Beginner
https://www.youtube.com/c/BillyBicep/playlists

Warmup routine:

Piece control (advanced stuff)

Have fun, GG's ?

Oh, I have the LCD-X microphone adapter and gave that a burl.

Heaps of 'presence' to the sound field, but no positional audio advantage.

It's not the cans, Epic just haven't made positional audio a priority, unfortunately.

PC37X's are plenty good/

On 15/11/2020 at 4:42 PM, 11Parsecs said:

Yeah, we won't see you for a while, takes a while to master the building/mechanics.

Here's some handy guides to get you going:

Beginner
https://www.youtube.com/c/BillyBicep/playlists

Warmup routine:

Piece control (advanced stuff)

Have fun, GG's ?

Oh, I have the LCD-X microphone adapter and gave that a burl.

Heaps of 'presence' to the sound field, but no positional audio advantage.

It's not the cans, Epic just haven't made positional audio a priority, unfortunately.

PC37X's are plenty good/

The building part is definitely my weak spot - but it doesn’t take long to get good enough to be having fun.

I’ve even won me 4 games!*

And lost a hell of a lot more!

2 hours ago, Billy Shears said:

I haven’t actually worked out what a battle pass is yet...

Cosmetics - clothing/emotes/objects - pickaxes etc, and some "objectives" - A way to keep kids glued to the game, and to display 'clout' to each other.

If you want to get good fast, go into a creative map, and join a "BHE" lobby.

42 minutes ago, 11Parsecs said:

Cosmetics - clothing/emotes/objects - pickaxes etc, and some "objectives" - A way to keep kids glued to the game, and to display 'clout' to each other.

If you want to get good fast, go into a creative map, and join a "BHE" lobby.

I don’t have that option. When I select creative lab it just gives me the option the play.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

I don’t have that option. When I select creative lab it just gives me the option the play.

https://dotesports.com/fortnite/news/fortnite-start-join-creative-server

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/the-best-fortnite-creative-map-codes-for-week-of-november-17-2020