NBN - Are they all slow?

Guest DrSK

11 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Once the temporary 40% bandwidth boost goes away, sound like you need to get a better ISP  ;) 

What? 

And having to start paying for internet? 

Even at normal speed it's more than I need. 

Edited by Hytram

7 hours ago, aussievintage said:

It's the brand new router supplied by the ISP.  I doubt it's the router

ISP supplied routers are often complete junk.... and will need to be rebooted as they are overloaded/slow, or crashed.

Ask your ISP, rebooting your router isn't "normal" (although is a common thing some people put up with) .... If they can't find the issue on their end, maybe they will help you reconfigure or replace your router.

7 hours ago, aussievintage said:

It's the brand new router supplied by the ISP.  I doubt it's the router

20 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

ISP supplied routers are often complete junk.... and will need to be rebooted as they are overloaded/slow, or crashed.

Ask your ISP, rebooting your router isn't "normal" (although is a common thing some people put up with) .... If they can't find the issue on their end, maybe they will help you reconfigure or replace your router.

I've been on Fibre To The Home for 8 years now.  When I first connected, my ISP sent me a brand new router.  I had drop-outs every 30-60 seconds.  I spent hours and hours of fault finding with my ISP over the phone.  They sent out a new router - twice!  This whole process took a couple of months, and the problem persisted.  Fed up, I walked in to Scorptec and told them of the issue.  They said buy the ASUS RT-AC68U and I'll be right - they were spot on.  Problem immediately solved and I've been flying since.  Still on the same router, and I'll never accept one straight from an ISP again.

Definitely check the router.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what to make of this chart on the ACCC Broadband performance chart ('Average daily outages per user lasting longer than 30 seconds')

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/internet-landline-services/broadband-performance-data

It is showing TPG and Telstra as having the least amount of outages on average. Optus, Aussie and Exetel are comparatively bad in terms of drop outs. 

7 hours ago, LHC said:

Does anyone know what to make of this chart on the ACCC Broadband performance chart ('Average daily outages per user lasting longer than 30 seconds')

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/internet-landline-services/broadband-performance-data

It is showing TPG and Telstra as having the least amount of outages on average. Optus, Aussie and Exetel are comparatively bad in terms of drop outs. 

That’s how I’m reading it and I have to agree, I’m with ABB and have not experience the service people here have experienced.   
I’ve had multiple complaints from family members to say the internet is down recently and yes they were right , even I was noticing it too,  the Orbi router flashes a red light when the internet loses connection and you can see either an orange light the NBN FTTC connecting box. Sometimes the same LED just remains constantly on and forces the router to show red LED, either of these conditions you need to power down the nbn connecting box to get it going.  Lately during isolation it’s been worst,  however you can’t complain until it exceeds nbn limits; don’t quote me on it which is allowed at least 4-5 drop outs in 24hrs. 
Ive also noticed that they try to do upgrades, whether that’s ABB or nbn co, it’s not acceptable,  I had an issue once and reported a slower upload speed,  after many phone calls to ABB it wasn’t until I actually reported it to the telecommunication ombudsman that it was fixed,  I have a thread here detailing my journey on this issue and I wasn’t impressed, ABB is just the average provided and no different. It’s probably not ABB issue and you’re dealing with an interface to nbn co.   What I’m disappointed with is when I was forced to report the issue with the telecommunication, the issue was fixed via the FTTC connecting box, so either the firmware they loaded had a wrong setting or coded incorrectly and after reported to the Ombustman  you can see that they tried to forced the working settings onto the connecting box. 

Edited:  regardless,  ABB will have the diagnostics to tell the the statistics of dropouts and disconnections and with this stats will tell them how they are doing compared to the benchmark.

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LHC said:

Upgrading? 

When RSP's do upgrades on the links to NBN they sometimes have to do drop the link, usually for a minute or two and in the middle of the night when most people don't notice.. Except people like the ACCC who monitor 24/7

Smaller the RSP or the area serviced, the less likelihood of multiple links for redundancy 

I have had a fair few early mornings over the last few months on this. 

Sadly that info doesn't give time of day 

Edited by Hytram

18 hours ago, LHC said:

Difficult stat to generalise about.....  as we don't know "why" each of the outages happened, or what the impact of them was.  Lumping them all together makes it hard to interpret.

Was it the ISPs infrastrcuture?

Was it wholesaler (eg. Telstra, or NBN) infrastructure?

Was it the customer infrastrcuture?  (own modem/router, and internal wiring)

How long did the interruption last for?  (there's a significant difference between out for 30 seconds.... and out for 15 minutes)

etc.

What if the outages on Telstra and TPG lasted on average 2 minutes..... but the outages on the other ISPS averaged 40 seconds.   TPG and Telstra were out longer (in seconds).

Obviously less is "probably better" ..... but they're all pretty close really.

EDIT: more importantly, when thinking about "outages" ..... is your ability to get help/fix from your ISP, when you have a service which is not working to spec.

Edited by davewantsmoore
  • Like 1

Nbn co doesn’t just carry out maintenance at will unless there’s a fault.  
When you are on the nbn, the provider usually notify you with an email to warn of scheduled maintenance and that’s usually weeks in advance.  If that’s not occurring like it is for me, I usually check there website or the app that tells you when scheduled maintenance occur...  

• Like 1

I hardly believe NBN is squeeky clean on that issue 

Outside the NBN, planned outages under a few minutes in the middle of the night you probably never be notified about and unless you are actively logging wouldn't even know happened. 

Inside the NBN, never going to sell my soul so I will never know... 

Edited by Hytram

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DrSK

Thanks for advice everyone. 

Ended up on Aussie Broadband 100/20 for same price as cable and getting about 90 download and 20 up. Noticeably a bit slower than cable but may go for one of the new faster plans when available. 

No lock in contract which is good. 

And was having issues with ftp server issues and remotely accessing equipment. Rang the Australian based call centre, the woman there was awesome, and got sorted in minutes. By default they run an extra level of security/protection they had to turn off. 

On 11/05/2020 at 11:02 PM, Hytram said:

planned outages

It is the responsibility of your ISP not notify you (their customer) about these NBN outages.   It is the responsility of NBN to notify the ISP (their customer) of NBN outages.

Here is a nice quick way to possibly improve your nbn speed. I’ve got FTTN and on a 50 plan, up until an hour ago getting 34 down and 8 up. I have 5 phone outlet sockets around the house, 1 in use for the nbn modem/router and 4 unused, I have read recently that the daisy chaining and the use of splitters can have a detrimental effect on the internet speed.

So I got a data technician in, he traced the Telstra lead-in cable to an outlet, not the modem socket, followed the cable to the next socket, great it is the modem. The techo stopped the daisy chaining from this socket, tidied up the wiring, made the first socket inactive, it was a ADSL filter also which wouldn’t have help performance. For 30 minutes of techo time I’m now getting 41 down and 10 up, a noticeable improvement. The techo said I will probably get reduced dropouts within the home network, I do sometimes get split second  dropouts between my iPad and music server, so I’ll see how that goes tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

For what it’s worth, I’ve been with Internode for years (since ADSL days, actually), and they’ve been excellent. Speeds and reliability are great.

Not the cheapest, but hey, IMO worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2020 at 6:31 PM, Hytram said:

huh?

I meant....    Don't "blame NBN" when you don't know about (planned or unplanned) outages.  It isn't their responsibility to tell you.  It's your ISPs responsibility.

On 02/06/2020 at 4:49 PM, awayward said:

Here is a nice quick way to possibly improve your nbn speed. I’ve got FTTN and on a 50 plan, up until an hour ago getting 34 down and 8 up. I have 5 phone outlet sockets around the house, 1 in use for the nbn modem/router and 4 unused, I have read recently that the daisy chaining and the use of splitters can have a detrimental effect on the internet speed.

Yep.   A lot of performance problems on FTTN are caused by the wiring in your house.

33 minutes ago, larry42 said:

with the recent faster 250/20 and 1000/50 plans being available for some addresses

One of my ISPs lets me change my speed daily... so I've used all the speeds from 1000/400 and down at various times over the years.

10 hours ago, larry42 said:

with the recent faster 250/20 and 1000/50 plans being available for some addresses
who here has upgraded plans ?

Had the offer, but the 100 plan is plenty for us at the moment.

Guest DrSK

As the OP I'm happy to report since changing to Aussie Broadband that I get equivalent speed to cable now Covid has settled a bit in NSW. 

106/20 typical during work hours on their 100/20 for same price as Telstra Cable which ran 120/6. $89 and no contract. 

Drops to 90-95 peak and I notice the slow down a fair bit compared to 120 to 110 on cable. But haven't seen need to go to 250.

Aussie Broadband local call centre are well helpful and knowledgeable and solved some access issues I had with ftp servers being blocked within a few minutes. 

Edited by DrSK

18 minutes ago, DrSK said:

As the OP I'm happy to report since changing to Aussie Broadband that I get equivalent speed to cable now Covid has settled a bit in NSW. 

106/20 typical during work hours on their 100/20 for same price as Telstra Cable which ran 120/6. $89 and no contract. 

Drops to 90-95 peak and I notice the slow down a fair bit compared to 120 to 110 on cable. But haven't seen need to go to 250.

Aussie Broadband local call centre are well helpful and knowledgeable and solved some access issues I had with ftp servers being blocked within a few minutes. 

You were lucky with Telstra Cable performance because not many people in your area/street were using it.  During peak, pre-COVID19, ours could drop to as low as 20 to 30.  However, the first weeks of the lock down were a disaster with most people home and it became unusable.  We took the risk of changing over to ABB; a risk because NBN was brand new to the area and we were not sure whether a technician could come if things went wrong.  Fortunately, worked first time.  Peak is in the 90-95 which we are happy.