AM4 chipset

I am in the process of building a new HTPC, and foolishly bought a board that doesn't support the Ryzen 3000 series chipset. I need to flash the BIOS with anything lower down the foodchain that is an AM4 type socket so that I can then use the 3600.

Sooo, I am hoping that someone may have an AM4 chipset of some description that I can borrow. Happy to pay postage both ways, or buy outright (if cheeep!). Location 2229 Sydney

Thanks and regards,

Phil

Hello Ian,

I bought it from a 3rd party seller on Amazon AU, CPL in Victoria. They finally answered this morning refusing a return saying what you did; they will flash the BIOS for me, but I'd have to wear postage costs both ways...about 32 bucks. I found out the board dates from 2018, so it appears they use Amazon to offload their lame ducks. I had actually planned to buy the MAX version from them when the return auth came through.

Early this afternoon I had some joy! Failure is a great thing, you learn from it. I didn't realise you can flash it straight from a usb stick without cpu, ram or OS; bewdy! A heart-stopping moment or two while I did the flash, then assembled it, including crossed fingers. Success! I am typing on my new system right now.

I also found out that MSI (probably just in USA) have a program to address this very issue which involves loaner CPUs to get over this hurdle.

I gave myself a high five.....right in the middle of my forehead, where it's most deserved!

Edited by hollerith