MiniDSP SHD Users Rejoice

And more than a year after Roon's clamp down on uncertified devices, including the miniDSP SHD, minDSP have just advised they have at last been granted Roon Ready status.  Woo Hoo!!  Came in an email and will soon be in their Newsletter.  Looks like just an upgrade to latest Volumio version, and Roon needing to formally flick a switch somewhere.

Great outcome, long overdue.

Gibbo

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gibbo9000 said:

And more than a year after Roon's clamp down on uncertified devices, including the miniDSP SHD, minDSP have just advised they have at last been granted Roon Ready status.  Woo Hoo!!  Came in an email and will soon be in their Newsletter.  Looks like just an upgrade to latest Volumio version, and Roon needing to formally flick a switch somewhere.

Great outcome, long overdue.

Gibbo

That's good news. 

The new Flex units look interesting. 

I need to review the max Tap's supported. 

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/flex

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Grizaudio said:

That's good news. 

The new Flex units look interesting. 

I need to review the max Tap's supported. 

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/flex

This is very interesting for me as it addresses two of the big limitations of the 2x4HD that I use: no visual display and no co-ax input.

5 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

It possibly makes the SHD redundant for some use-cases I think?

Yes.  The SHD bundles full-strength streaming and subwoofer integration together but a large number don't really want both of these features I would think. Or are not prepared to pay for them.

• Volunteer
40 minutes ago, RoHo said:

Yes.  The SHD bundles full-strength streaming and subwoofer integration together but a large number don't really want both of these features I would think. Or are not prepared to pay for them.

The “flex” can do subwoofer integration I believe 

21 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

The “flex” can do subwoofer integration I believe 

Yes, I would consider that,  with room correction, as it's primary use.  A quick scan of the specs reveals it has "Bluetooth streaming" capabilities (means nothing to me!) but no other network connectivity. That's how I read it anyway.  Is  this sort of streaming popular?

16 minutes ago, Lil Caesar said:

Bluetooth streaming ?  Oh it would only be the way 90% of the population consume audio these days :)

Duh!  I was thinking of the hifi market.

Do MiniDSP think they can grab some of that 90% with this type of product?  Will JB Hifi be stocking them next to the glowing egg Bluetooth speakers?

6 minutes ago, RoHo said:

Do MiniDSP think they can grab some of that 90% with this type of product?  Will JB Hifi be stocking them next to the glowing egg Bluetooth speakers?

No, audiophiles too.

Better BT codecs can use the full BT bandwidth, which enough for 24bit / 96khz.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

How does that compare to the SHD?

SHD does not allow user defined FIR filters.

Just reading a bit more (and reading between the lines), I suspect that if/when you enable Dirac Live on the Flex, that DL will replace the option to run user defined FIRs (like it does on the 2x4HD).

Edited by davewantsmoore

3 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

It's not enough for low frequency phase linearisation ... but plenty for everything else.

So for what in particular would it be worth doing with DIY  FIRs with this device?  Are there great gains to be had over what you can do with IIRs with this limited number of taps?

9 minutes ago, RoHo said:

So for what in particular would it be worth doing with DIY  FIRs with this device?  Are there great gains to be had over what you can do with IIRs with this limited number of taps?

I guess you can at least use the taps for FIR filters which make the mid/tweeter XO linear phase?

Andy

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

I guess you can at least use the taps for FIR filters which make the mid/tweeter XO linear phase?

Andy

I guess so. 

Just thinking about my situation with my FIR capable 2x4HD.  The main speakers have quite linear, but not horizontal , phase with a bit of a bend up after the XO.  I have also used conventional IIR EQ on the sub.  Are there great gains to be had using FIRs to flatten the mains phase or do the sub EQing?

15 minutes ago, RoHo said:

Are there great gains to be had using FIRs to flatten the mains phase or do the sub EQing?

I believe so.  A mate who uses Roon on his Apple PC has B&W standmounts.  When another mate created FIR filters (I think in Roon?) to linearise the XOs in the 805s and the subs ... the improvement was significant.

Andy

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RoHo said:

The number of taps just tells you how low in frequency the linear phase FIR filter can operate.    Eg. down to 300Hz, or whatever.

The "advantage" of FIR filters is that you can modify the phase independantly of the amplitude.....  but it is very non trivial to use this correctly in a speaker, as most amplitude corrections are either a ) minimum phase (ie. don't need any different phase correction), or b ) aren't accurately represented by your data, so if you correct both the phase and amplitude based on your data, it's probbaly the wrong correction.

For a "room correction" .... then there are things where you would wasnt to correct the phase.... but again, the correction you want is not well represented by a single measurement.... which is why systems like Dirac Live, want multiple measurements so it can process them.

• Like 1

Ideally you would need somewhere around 6000+ taps (without doing maths) for full bandwidth correction at 44.1khz sampling. This will greatly depending on the number of corrections, and Q's required. 

however Tap demands increase with higher sampling rates.

PCs can achieve much higher taps with ease, making them (PCs) much more suitable for higher sampling rate FIR correction/ FIR crossovers. 

Edited by Grizaudio