Duntech PCL12A?? Help Info Needed

Some help please people.

Does anyone know anything about these speakers are they a prototype Duntech or something from that stable or just a coincidence with the model no's there isn't anything on the net a friend of mine picked up a set recently the seller claimed they might be Duntech, he is just interested to see if anyone has any info or is even familiar with these speakers?

There's not much to go on sort of hoping something might jog someone's memory

Thanks for any help in advance.

Seb

Resized_20200212_064059_7621.jpeg

Resized_20200212_064008_1490.jpeg

Resized_20200210_154711_9118.jpeg

Resized_20200210_154732_6832.jpeg

Resized_20200212_063641_2579.jpeg

Resized_20200212_063705_9738.jpeg

Resized_20200212_063812_6470.jpeg

Resized_20200212_064002_389.jpeg

Edited by BATMAQN
  • Like 1

Hi all and thanks Seb for the post.

These are my speakers.

I have been in touch with the gentleman whom I aquired these from and the original owner said these were bought as Audio Standards Corporation with a matching sub speaker box many years ago in Canberra.

I believe the drivers are Audex though I cant find a direct reference to a matching tweeter used in any Duntech/Dunlevy variant.

Just trying to see if anyone recalls seeing any before and confirm their heritage.

Eitherway I'll be hanging onto them. Hopefully they jog someones memory and I can get an idea of their history.

Even a clue to what material the grills were made from would be nice.

Thanks Rob.

The only thing I found was this link to a Kijiji sale Of custom Duntech’s that has expired and no other details are available, but if you look hard enough it to has a similar HF set up to yours.

That’s all I could find....... 

F1360D21-6A7E-412B-9119-AC2BE993BF04.thumb.png.a2a3d621063f4a6193b616307f558d24.png

• Like 2

Although the Model No. looks like a Duntech type, I think the speakers are more likely to have been manufactured by  Bill Webb.  He was the early importer of the Audax speaker range and  he supplied  some  drivers  to Duntech.

• Like 2

It is a horn without a compression driver, i.e. it is a mess.  For true horn loading a throat with a phase equalising  plug is required;  such as  Tannoy's pepperpot  or the  radial slits such as JBL provide.  Basically  the throat area needs  to  be around 50% of the effective diaphragm area and correction is needed for the time differences from the various  sections of the  diaphragm.  It is a difficult proposition with a horn to cover more than three octaves of the spectrum  and  maintain a high sensitivity together with a fixed distribution pattern.

I would think the designer of this speaker in trying to utilise an inefficient tweeter has resorted to a P.A. horn in an effort to match up with  the bass midrange driver .

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies.

I have found one other link to a pcl-5 set that has similar drivers though without the horn mounted to the audax tweeter.

These were sold as Audio Standards Corporation with a matching Thor sub box. 

I'll pull out the tweeter tonight and have a good look at how its put together.

I'll also have a look into Bill Webb and see if he has a link to Audio Standards Australia.

The tweeters are an anomoly so thats where the prototype idea came about.

Once I get the tweeters out I'll have more idea as to whether they have been changed over or original to the boxes.

Thanks Rob 

image.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rob1970 said:

Hi all and thanks Seb for the post.

These are my speakers.

I have been in touch with the gentleman whom I aquired these from and the original owner said these were bought as Audio Standards Corporation with a matching sub speaker box many years ago in Canberra.

I believe the drivers are Audex though I cant find a direct reference to a matching tweeter used in any Duntech/Dunlevy variant.

Just trying to see if anyone recalls seeing any before and confirm their heritage.

Eitherway I'll be hanging onto them. Hopefully they jog someones memory and I can get an idea of their history.

Even a clue to what material the grills were made from would be nice.

Thanks Rob.

I'm sure that @Kiat can help with info, if he's not too busy. Audio Standards Corporation was a Dunlavy company prior to Duntech.

Edited by Uncle Seth
grammar/ spelling
  • Like 1

Unfortunately Kiat wasn't able to help out with these.

But thanks for the advise.

Quoted from emails from previous owner.

"I can tell you that I contacted a guy who is associated with (owns?) the Duntech brand these days, Kiat, and he said he wasn't aware of any Duntech speakers with the kind of waveguide/horn seen on these speakers."