Help with FTA connection after foxtel

My parents have just bought a new place in the remote blue mountains. 

There are three tvs, two receiving FTA coverage fine. One a Sony Bravia KDX smart TV in the living room, is unable to find any digital stations via auto scan.

It looks like it was previously connected to FOX, as there is a pair of FOX coax outputs which are not the same connecter as the standard coax in on the TV.

There is another normal coax running into a wall receptacle (not a connector socket) but the TV is not picking up any channels with it connected. I can't pull it out of the wall receptacle so it seems like its still fixed in.

With a small indoor DVBT active antenna i can not pick anything up either. 

Anyone have any ideas on where the trouble might be? Seems unlikely that its the actual reception as the other two TVs seem fine. 

Could the fox installer have cut the regular coax cable? That was mentioned as a possibility in other threads I've read.

Should i try get an adapter from Jaycar and run into the FOX coax sockets? There was conflicting information about whether this would work in other threads.

Cheers for any suggestions!

1 hour ago, lips said:

Should i try get an adapter from Jaycar and run into the FOX coax sockets? There was conflicting information about whether this would work in other threads.

These will NOT be connected to the aerial. If you are not sufficiently experienced to fault find yourself then an aerial guy should be able to come out and run a new coax from the aerial and if required install a booster amp.

The other option is to connect the TV to the home network (if they have nbn as most plans have no data limit) and use the smart apps to access FTA programming.

7 hours ago, blybo said:

The other option is to connect the TV to the home network (if they have nbn as most plans have no data limit) and use the smart apps to access FTA programming.

Agree, this is what we do more often than not now, our reception can be choppy no matter what I do, the Mrs looks at me and says you have all those boxes and I cant even watch the TV!

Apple TV and a solid internet connect and peace is once again restored in the household!

Thanks gents.

I will try the internet connection as a last resort, but it is only adsl (all that is available here) so probably not fast enough for reliable streaming. 

I’m really just wondering why two tvs would work but not the third, presumably they’re all patched into the same antenna.

I would have thought the length of the cable run wouldn’t result all reception being lost, rather than just a loss of quality. 

I’ll keep troubleshooting till I run out of ideas then get a pro in.

14 minutes ago, lips said:

but it is only adsl (all that is available here) so probably not fast enough for reliable streaming. 

Anyhoo, we used stream just fine on adsl with 6mbps download speed, just a matter of data limitations.

There's a fair chance the foxtel "technician" crippled the existing co-axial aerial connection. Is the house single story? Get in the roof space. Shouldn't be too hard to connect a draw string to the co-ax at the TV end that you believe should go to the aerial and pull it through

On 13/02/2020 at 3:54 PM, blybo said:

Anyhoo, we used stream just fine on adsl with 6mbps download speed, just a matter of data limitations.

There's a fair chance the foxtel "technician" crippled the existing co-axial aerial connection. Is the house single story? Get in the roof space. Shouldn't be too hard to connect a draw string to the co-ax at the TV end that you believe should go to the aerial and pull it through

Thanks you were right. Streaming was fine. I'll have to check their plan re data limits.

I would still like to have a go at finding the wiring issue. There is no ceiling space per se in the living room. Its a vaulted roof, so I suspect the cabling is run through the walls.

Thanks for your help.