HIFI Newbie-Need Advice

Hey Guys

New to the forum, was hoping I could get some advice from the more seasoned HIFI people.

I'm looking at doing my first stereo setup with Klipsch RF-7 III (RF-7 is rated to 250w/1000w peak), looking at either the Emotiva A-300(150w @ 8ohms) power amp or XPA-2(300w @ 8ohms).

I will be using the speakers to listen to music and watch TV, would like my setup to be able to stream music from TIDAL to the amp

• Which of the two power amps above would you recommend?
  • I have also managed to confuse the **** out of myself about Pre-amps, I wanted to know is there a pre-amp that has a built in DAC as well as casting capabilities) or would I need to buy a seperate pre amp and casting device (Yamaha WXC-50 music cast)?

Thank you

:welcome: to the forum.

It is good you have done some research.  Most importantly, have you listened to any of the components. Speakers can be a personal choice and you should trust your ears.

For simplicity, suggest starting out with a streaming DAC such as a Blue sound Node 2 or Cambridge Audio CXN.  You have not mentioned budget, but can it stretch to the NAD C658?

• Like 1

Thanks Snoopy, yup did a demo on the RF7's and the smaller RP-8000F. For me personally I preferred the depth of bass and the liveliness of the tweeter on the bigger speaker. 

Think the NAD might be a tad out of reach for me. I was looking at the Cambridge CXN but then I started getting confused.

Surely there is a Pre Amp that has a half decent built in DAC and casting capabilities or would I have to get a separate pre amp and separate DAC?

But then which one; Pre Amp or DAC has casting capabilities?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8ighty8ight said:

Surely there is a Pre Amp that has a half decent built in DAC and casting capabilities or would I have to get a separate pre amp and separate DAC?

But then which one; Pre Amp or DAC has casting capabilities?

There are quite a number of streaming DACs which also do preamp duties. It does not matter where they start from, they do the same thing!

Suggest starting simple like the CXN or Node 2 and later progress to the C658 or even to the Naim Uniti Atom. Or progress to seperates later.  

Most importantly, enjoy the music...

• Like 1

According to Klapp AV pricing, the XPA-2 is twice the price of the A-300. 

With that in mind, I'd listen to the A-300 and see if you like it.  Then listen to the XPA-2.  Is it twice as good?

Yes?  Then listen to a couple of other brands / models at that price point to confirm the Emo is the amp for you.

I also like @Irek's recommendation to listen to the Emotiva pre-amp.  The XSP-1 pre-amp is a great unit - I use one with an XPA-5, Gen 3.

I love it, but it's also not everyone's cup of tea.

• Like 1

A couple of other things to consider.
The RF-7's look very efficient at 100db sensitivity so, even though stated rating is 250W, you will get 'very very loud' our of much smaller amps.  So listen to some of the 50-100W integrated amps, or even lower power.  I happily drive 90db sensitivity floorstanders from 50w amps and they sound just as good as out 150Watt monoblocks.  That will also open up the range of integrated options I had a Moon 240i that was lovely - and there are many others around with similar functionality (DAC, Pre and power amp); Moon Ace even has Streamer.

Depending on tech skills and appetite you may want to consider some of the DIY/software streaming options (Daphile, Roon perhaps) you will find discussed through these forums - also work well into integrated amps or pre/power combos.  Then also less reliant on manufacturers having to update firmware etc. to accommodate changes on streaming side.

• Like 2

On 11/02/2020 at 7:10 PM, gibbo9000 said:

A couple of other things to consider.
The RF-7's look very efficient at 100db sensitivity so, even though stated rating is 250W, you will get 'very very loud' our of much smaller amps.  So listen to some of the 50-100W integrated amps, or even lower power. 

Sound advice. Your Kilpsch speakers are high sensitivity speakers and do not need a whole lot of power to drive them. A smaller, high quality amplifier will probably work for you. Rega, Cambridge Audio, Naim (to mention a few) all have high quality amplifiers in the <100 W range 

• Like 1