Okay, saw midway today , wasn't expecting much  , but was pleasantly surprised it wasn't too bad, not brilliant but not too bad. 

The actions scenes are pretty good especially during the bombing runs and there's a sweeping slow shot of pearl harbour after the attack which is very well done. , the cgi is pretty good ( some of it looks like real planes over cgi.) the acting is too the point, there's no love story, tho there is a human story, but again it's not to bad. The movie actually comes over very matter of fact. The Japanese are given a human face especially Yamamoto and Yamaguchi. 

Cons: there's maybe a bit too much in it, pearl harbour, Doolittle raid, coral sea then midway. And it's seems a bit rushed in parts. Maybe a directors cut might fix that.  There is a little bit of Yankee flag waving but not too much. The aerial combat is mostly portrays the USA strikes against the  Japanese, rather than the counter strikes by the Japanese, but it also  shows the us torpedo bombers getting slaughtered as they did. 

A surprising movie 

And its better than Pearl,Harbour 

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 3

I also watched it last night. Thought it was really good and surprisingly historically faithful.

There was a complete lack of female admirals, gay partners back home crying about lost pilots, aerosmith songs or lens flares.

Very good job overall IMHO.

It's not brilliant and there are not doubt better war movies, but a visual spectacle, some of the combat scenes are very good.

as Betty-bop mentioned should be a good movie for the h/t owners 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

It's not brilliant and there are not doubt better war movies, but a visual spectacle, some of the combat scenes are very good.

as Betty-bop mentioned should be a good movie for the h/t owners 

ye ole Peal harbour was a treat in this regard, sound like this one is following well in those footsteps :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

ye ole Peal harbour was a treat in this regard, sound like this one is following well in those footsteps :D 

The combat scenes in PH were pretty cool , it was just all the other rubbish, they packed in 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jamiebosco said:

Watched this tonight, I enjoyed it - decent movie (no worse than Pearl Harbour)

Total bass fest and arguably some of the best use of the surround channels I've experienced in a while

Al - you'll like this one! 

want to see even more now :D just waiting for amazon to deliver !  grrr

• Like 1

I really liked the movie - From the WW2 history I have read, it was historically accurate.   I think it was able to demonstrate the incredible bravery of the pilots , even when  some of them ( torpedo planes) didnt have much chance of coming back.

The  eventual sighting of the Japanese battle fleet by the dive bombers and the massive destruction that followed was such a pivotal moment of the war. If they hadn't succeeded, who knows, we could all be speaking Japanese now.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, betty boop said:

want to see even more now :D just waiting for amazon to deliver !  grrr

Warn the neighbours before you start! lol The Velo's will get a workout!

I watched  it after midnight  so had to really keep a lid on the MV, probably around -22dB for most of the movie, will go back for a 2nd viewing at my normal -10 to -12dB MV very soon!

Here's a graph showing the bass! Keep in mind, anything on these graphs over the -20dB line is considered fairly loud

1893053756_Fcf8bbN(1).thumb.png.632b46cbdda0e6c7a730d068ac0927cd.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Midway ! Can’t wait to watch this evening :D

B201168B-DE27-4DC7-AD9A-8FAD974FF73A.jpeg

Nice!

BTW, if you have a Panasonic 820 or 9000, you might need to turn off dolby vision if your display is DV.  The disc apparently has an issue with cutting out at a  couple of places with DV on.

• Like 1

watched tonight ! enjoyed overall... some criticisms.... THE GRAIN !!!

and that is coming from me  a fan of FILM grain...but we are not looking at film grain here ! its artificially added digital grain and it is quite noticeable and annoying :D not sure why had to be added ... and also while there is a cast to the movie ... to also add to the oldness of it ... I'm ok with that and can live with it. overall its quite punchy pics and looks great otherwise....

there is some CGI initially that is a bit rough...but thankfully that settles down or was it me getting used to it dont know.... id give PQ a 7/10 only because of added digital grain, CGI a bit iffy in parts ... and what seems overall a wasted 8k source given the 2k master CGI and grain ! 

AUDIO...ok this has some stand out stuff going on. right from the start when plane pulls up on the carrier... you know this things got some serious low bass. As a curiosity I watched this movie at -16db rather than the typical -21 tend to do... so perhaps this one is mastered a bit lower in level or has a higher dynamic range.... either ways there plenty audio wise.. Audio 9/10

story well it takes a back seat...we know the story.... so its more on a ride...and when you know where you are going. some good acting ...also some extra patriotic moments as only us films do... but otherwise a good watch overall.  Story 6/10 Movie 7/10

some screen shots below ...and the digital added grain am sure will be obvious looking at the screen shots there. 

0I9A8243.jpeg

0I9A8242.jpeg

0I9A8245.jpeg

0I9A8248.jpeg

0I9A8249.jpeg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, betty boop said:

and that is coming from me  a fan of FILM grain...but we are not looking at film grain here ! its artificially added digital grain and it is quite noticeable and annoying :D not sure why had to be added ... and also while there is a cast to the movie ... to also add to the oldness of it .

I  suspect that one of the reasons  that the film grain was  added is that it helps mask  the  otherwise more obvious differences  between the movie  shot in 8K and the CGI shot in 2K  (which is a big part of the film).   I found  a couple of the Marvel 4K movies  dreadful to watch when the CGI stood out as real fake compared to the rest of the movie.

Edited by Tasso
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tasso said:

I  suspect that one of the reasons  that the film grain was  added is that it helps mask  the  otherwise more obvious differences  between the movie  shot in 8K and the CGI shot in 2K  (which is a big part of the film).   I found  a couple of the Marvel 4K movies  dreadful to watch when the CGI stood out as real fake compared to the rest of the movie.

you are onto something i suspect ! huge divide 8k to CGI in 2k ! with grain and cast trying to mask in between

I should watch pearl harbour again... they had real planes eg japanese zero in that one :) 

I see there are some movies coming out with 4k mastering even though CGI - eg gemini man. I hope it means we are past this CGI bottle neck ! for a better end result. 

• Like 1

Yeah the budget seems to have run out when it comes to the CGI in parts, there's a section where you can see people jogging on the deck of an aircraft carrier and one of the little CGI men hasn't been finished off, looks like the liquid metal T-1000 from T2 doing laps on the deck (running much faster than everyone else too so maybe he was a T-1000....)

Hope I didn't talk it up too much @betty boop leading to some disappointment.

Movie of the year so far for me has been Knives Out , check it out if you haven't already, I watched twice within a couple of days, which almost never happens anymore, really enjoyable (dark) comedy

Edited by jamiebosco
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jamiebosco said:

Yeah the budget seems to have run out when it comes to the CGI in parts, there's a section where you can see people jogging on the deck of an aircraft carrier and one of the little CGI men hasn't been finished off, looks like the liquid metal T-1000 from T2 doing laps on the deck (running much faster than everyone else too so maybe he was a T-1000....)

yeah in the opening there is deck being straffed and sailers standing looking at bullets :D like that would happen in reality.

26 minutes ago, jamiebosco said:

Hope I didn't talk it up too much @betty boop leading to some disappointment.

no no, nothing to worry about. i tend to go into these things open minded. though appreciated heads audio wise ...it sure delivers :)

27 minutes ago, jamiebosco said:

Movie of the year so far for me has been Knives Out , check it out if you haven't already, I watched twice within a couple of days, which almost never happens anymore, really enjoyable (dark) comedy

will look out for it :) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peter-E said:

Most people are not aware of how the US financially screw Japan to the wall. One fact that has not been mentioned in any prior movie

Well...you may not have heard about Tora Tora Tora, this movie clearly shows how poor the relationship between the Americans and Japanese had become by 1941. This was after the Japanese army had occupied most of Indochina and in response to this the Americans placed economic sanctions on Japan especially on the export of oil. As Japan did not have their own supplies this led to a plan to attack Pearl Harbour, the rest is history. 

300px-ToraToraTora1970.png

• Like 1

Sorry, but the CGI is atrocious.  Plainly see actors standing in front of a big screen.  One scene at the start an actor has his uniform pants on “fire”, it just looks ridiculous.  Very distracting.  Another Hollywood blockbuster I’ll throw in the bin...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, STROP said:

Well...you may not have heard about Tora Tora Tora, this movie clearly shows how poor the relationship between the Americans and Japanese had become by 1941. This was after the Japanese army had occupied most of Indochina and in response to this the Americans placed economic sanctions on Japan especially on the export of oil. As Japan did not have their own supplies this led to a plan to attack Pearl Harbour, the rest is history. 

Tora Tora Tora is the definitive  movie about Pearl Harbour I think. It took over 3 years to make and was fact checked by both the US and Japanese governments prior to its release. It was so expensive to produce at the time it almost broke the studio. From a factual level  it is superb in its portrayal of both sides of the conflict.   For those who haven't seen it for a while, make sure you get the remastered bluray version - it is well worth having in your collection.

Edited by Tasso
  • Like 1