Buyer Beware - Scammer Warning

• Administrator

In the last two weeks I have caught and stopped at least 4 scammers, and possibly a few more who I was not 100% sure on. Please do your due diligence before committing to a purchase. 

As a rule of thumb, a scammer will insist on EFT only as payment option, and will not allow pickup. They will of course have Zero feedback as well. 

We highly recommend buying only from those that allow pick up, Paypal, and have trading feedback.

• Like 43
  • Thanks 3

Some signs of possible scams:

- Things that are too good to be true and under priced =  signs of scam. (very rarely will it be the bargain of the decade.)
- Most likely will ask for Bank Transfer (even if you say you will cover Paypal Fees)

- They will try and deal mostly with people that cant pickup and that require postage. They will agree to post anywhere and sometimes even include postage on the price.

One way to overcome this and know for certain if they are scammer: ask for a pickup address and possible pickup time. If they avoid telling you a location and stop talking to you, you're guaranteed to be a scam.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

definitely do due diligence...

remember our tips and guide to buy and sell safely online that folks here have all contributed to....

Buying and Selling safely online – some tips and a guide,

• Like 6

If you have suspicions ask for a photo that's date stamped or with a clipping of a newspaper with current or a recent print date, or SNA username scrawled on a note. 

Hell maybe that last one should become a standard posting rule. 

• Like 5

Guest jakeyb77
1 minute ago, Gremrock said:

If you have suspicions ask for a photo that's date stamped or with a clipping of a newspaper with current or a recent print date, or SNA username scrawled on a note. 

Hell maybe that last one should become a standard posting rule. 

I don’t understand how this stops them taking your cash and not sending the item. 

19 minutes ago, Muzza71 said:

Just curious but was there one today?

There was certainly a deal of the year posted today. Apparently, now sold pending payment. Will be interested to see if the seller actually comes true...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ron72 said:

There was certainly a deal of the year posted today. Apparently, now sold pending payment. Will be interested to see if the seller actually comes true...

Wasn't it just :S

Cash and pickup at thier place is always the best option. Only way to get scammed then is A) They beat you up and take your money..."scammed"  or B ) Meet on a street corner and you can't test to see it works, but at least you know what they look like.

Edited by Bengineer

45 minutes ago, Ron72 said:

"not a scammer offers pick up and paypal genuine pics etc ....just a really good deal."

apparently not so please read further posts...

Edited by Dacman
correction: no feedback

I thought pepple insisting on paypal to BUY stuff could be a problem, simply by telling paypal they never received the item. Paypal freezes your money while it investigates. In the end yiu dont have your item or the money ???

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dacman said:

not a scammer has feedback offers pick up and paypal genuine pics etc ....just a really good deal.

just be aware which am sure are, the standard allowing pickup and PayPal scam...  but also there are genuine deals all time... same tar brush shouldn't apply to all :)

1 minute ago, cafe67 said:

I thought pepple insisting on paypal to BUY stuff could be a problem, simply by telling paypal they never received the item. Paypal freezes your money while it investigates. In the end yiu dont have your item or the money ???

can certainly be scammed wiht PayPal as a buyer or seller. still have to do due diligence. tips in the buying and selling safely online thread :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dacman said:

not a scammer has feedback offers pick up and paypal genuine pics etc ....just a really good deal.

Fantastic news...maybe not...

Edited by Ron72
posts after this comment

23 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

I don’t understand how this stops them taking your cash and not sending the item. 

It does not. What it does do is at least show they have the actual item they claim they have - rather than just making it all up. I seriously doubt most scammers would actually have the item they claim to have, so they could not meet this simple requirement of of showing a "proof of life" photo.

• Like 2

Elsewhere scammers as buyers use other mechanisms to defraud you. Ppl use a cheque that is fraudulently obtained via identity theft.  They say words like “once funds are in your bank account I will pickup, May also  use a courier or taxi. Or as a variation request send via post.  Banks take 3 days to process a cheque. If money not in writer’s account the bank reverse the money flow.

End of story: You don’t have the item or the money. 

Edited by Headbanger
Clarification scamming sellers

10 minutes ago, Dacman said:

not a scammer offers pick up and paypal genuine pics etc ....just a really good deal.

I look forward to hearing how much the owner loves them! Failing that given they are in my backyard I'm happy to visit the seller for some photos with them, if they were a real deal it will help him with future sales.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Dacman said:

not a scammer offers pick up and paypal genuine pics etc ....just a really good deal.

Wasn't my experience. Told me different stories to other users here which were completely contradictory, and would only provide a bank transfer for payment.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aab said:

It does not. What it does do is at least show they have the actual item they claim they have - rather than just making it all up. I seriously doubt most scammers would actually have the item they claim to have, so they could not meet this simple requirement of of showing a "proof of life" photo.

I commonly ask for a weird photo to prove they have the item.  For example, in the watch world, it’s common to ask for a pic of the watch showing “7 past 2” or something.  I even ask for a pic alongside a thumbs-up, fave beer, whatever.  No genuine seller should ever take any sort of offence to such requests.  If they do, I smell a rat.....

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

I look forward to hearing how much the owner loves them! Failing that given they are in my backyard I'm happy to visit the seller for some photos with them, if they were a real deal it will help him with future sales.

i stand corrected

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aab said:

We have a detective here. Good spotting and searching. I used tineye.com to see if it could find where these photos where stolen from. But the 2 photos i used didnt return with any matches.

But thats a great website to see if photos where stolen from somewhere else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aab said:

Wow that's quite a brazen scam.

I've also learnt my lesson buying on facebook marketplace for something that seemed to good to be true. What the scammers would do is hack into existing established Facebook accounts (100s of friends, long time member) and then advertise something for sale with EFT and postage as the only option. Always accompanied by some sob story, I'm out of town and need funds for an operation etc.

Bottom line, if it seems to be good to be true be extra careful. And pick up in person wherever you can.

• Like 2