Designing a 3-way speaker; crossover and cab talk

haywire404

I'm returning to the idea of speaker design and need some outside feedback to keep me pointed in the right direction. These speakers are intended to be good all-round speakers capable of producing clean sound at higher volume when required. For the time being I've chosen these Dayton Audio drivers - 

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/dayton-audio-pa310-8-12-pro-woofer

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/dayton-audio-pk165-8-6-professional-kevlar-paper-c

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/dc25t-8-1-titanium-dome-tweeter-8-ohm

I'm open to suggestions on drivers and brands.

Watching a tutorial on Jeff Bagby's Passive Crossover Designer, I've reached these results with the above drivers. This is a .xlsm spreadsheet file, you'll need Excel to view it. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RbuRA6OYMF8cYaNy-bH0n0m_XosC4QfA

This is the response curve:

response1.jpg.1189216cff94fc1dbf8fb11ee403579e.jpg

The big hurdle I'll need to clear is converting the data from the spreadsheet into a wiring diagram. The one built into PCD is extremely hazy for an entry level builder, so I've also filled in the details on the diyaudioandvideo crossover designer.  Here is the print-out:

crossover1.jpg.f2a924324d96c9395b6f16b683fc316a.jpg

This of course won't have the adjustments I made in PCD to produce the response curves above. The wiring layouts are also completely different considering the amount of info PCD is processing.

I'd also like to briefly touch on cabinet design. I assume it would be best to have a solid partition separating the woofer from the mid and tweeter? I have the Eminence speaker box designer, calculating dimensions and volumes shouldn't be too hard.

Edited by haywire404

First question: what are your goals with this project? If your main goal is to dive into the world of passive speaker design and it's all about learning something new, that's very different to seeking a particular outcome.

A few things here look a tad haywire!  The first is choosing a 3 way passive design. I wouldn't recommend starting with a 3 way design. It's taking on too many problems to solve. For your first few projects, you are best to start with simpler projects. 2 way designs with well behaved drivers. Start with a 1" silk dome tweeter and a 5" or 6" paper or poly woofer. Learn how to measure, model, tweak. This is quite a lot to learn for your first 5 projects. And it's not worth it if learning isn't one of your main goals.

Now regarding this project, there are a few challenges caused by the drivers you've chosen. The tweeter has a very limited bottom end and the mid has quite limited bandwidth. The top end is quite ragged and these aspects result in a difficult tweeter to mid crossover. If you really had to work with these drivers for some reason, it's likely you might end up with a more complex crossover and the cost might even eclipse the cost of the drivers themselves. In starting from scratch, it's usually best to avoid these problems in choosing drivers with more latitude ie. tweeters which can cross lower and mids with more useful top end extension.

The big hurdle I'll need to clear is converting the data from the spreadsheet into a wiring diagram.

This is one of the easy parts!

I'd also like to briefly touch on cabinet design. I assume it would be best to have a solid partition separating the woofer from the mid and tweeter? I have the Eminence speaker box designer, calculating dimensions and volumes shouldn't be too hard.

Yes, you want a sealed chamber for the mid with the woofer using most of the volume.

If you want to learn how to design sealed or ported boxes, WinISD is a very easy to use program to help.

• Like 3