Cambridge Audio HDMI Issue

Hi All, About 18 months ago, I was using a Cambridge Audio 551R V2 amp and the Cambridge Audio 752bd, only issue I had with it was that on some disc’s, like Amy Whitehouse Pure Blu Ray Audio disc, the first few seconds of the first song would be missing, it was highly annoying, so much so, that I sold it all off, last year, does anyone know if this issue, and any other HDMI related issues been resolved or does the issue still persist ? and is this issue only related to the aforementioned gear or is it common to all or other brands/models ? Thanks 

The issue you were experiencing would probably have been the dac / dsp in the AVR needing a moment to recognise the bit depth and sample rate of the BD audio disc before decoding and playback would begin.  Although not ideal, this is probably more common than many users would admit, even today, with digital playback.  It is most prevalent when switching from a digital stream of one format to another, e.g. from Dolby/DTS to PCM and/or DSD. 

Newer, higher end gear is now capable of "holding" the datastream and ensuring the dac is ready to decode before parsing the signal but older and cheaper gear is susceptible to this issue.

It is not specifically limited to HDMI.

Edited by Lil Caesar

Hi Lil Caesar, So, it is the DACs in the receiver that is the culprit, I would then assume that the issue would still be there if I bought another Cambridge Audio 551r v2 then ?! How can one avoid this issue altogether without buying high end ? Do the Japanese manufacturers have the same issue ? Is it only appearing in avr’s ?

I can't give you a straight answer because I'm no expert in digital conversion and how its implemented, I can only offer what I've already said based on my own experience and anecdotal evidence from other people.

I suggest if this is particularly important to you, then you need to audition AVRs using your BD audio disc in-store to ensure it doesn't happen because any given combination of AVR and disc player may result in the aforementioned audio delay.

I have not experienced the issue mentioned by OP with both the Oppo 103 and Pana UB9000 players playing to a Anthem MRX  710 and NAD T758V3 respectively.  I do not have the Amy Whitehouse Pure Audio disc but I have about 30 others which play perfectly.

28 minutes ago, Lil Caesar said:

I suggest if this is particularly important to you, then you need to audition AVRs using your BD audio disc in-store to ensure it doesn't happen because any given combination of AVR and disc player may result in the aforementioned audio delay.

Agree, best to bring that disc to audition.

2 hours ago, Digital Man said:

Hi All, About 18 months ago, I was using a Cambridge Audio 551R V2 amp and the Cambridge Audio 752bd, only issue I had with it was that on some disc’s, like Amy Whitehouse Pure Blu Ray Audio disc, the first few seconds of the first song would be missing, it was highly annoying, so much so, that I sold it all off, last year, does anyone know if this issue, and any other HDMI related issues been resolved or does the issue still persist ? and is this issue only related to the aforementioned gear or is it common to all or other brands/models ? Thanks 

You could always just hit the "previous chapter" button on your CA 752BD remote.

It should start the track again at the beginning and..............costs nothing...?

Edited by JohnL

8 hours ago, Digital Man said:

I used to have a Cambridge 650R and 751BD and unfortunately I had the same issue. 

Many a time I'd have to rewind to begin a chapter with audio present. I did firmware updates to no avail. 

My conclusion the HDMI handshake was just very slow. I ended up using the 7.1 RCA out instead, which does use high quality DACs and 0 lag - issue solved!! So long as you don't need a format beyond 7.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In my set-up it was the 751BD player that introduced the issue. 

As I ran the video straight out to the projector, which received image quickly, but audio would sometimes take numerous seconds to return. 

Going analogue RCA audio was the fix. So it's the HDMI audio out being the pain in handshaking with the other products in your set-up I'd say, as it was in mine

On 16/02/2020 at 4:06 PM, Digital Man said:

Also, if I connect with the analogue outs instead of HDMI, is there, if any, sound differences between the the two ? What else could be, potentially, lacking in this scenario ?

Connecting to an AVR or Pre/Pro at analog level bypasses its internal DAC and negates the use of its on board DSP / Room EQ / Bass Management functions........etc 

On 16/02/2020 at 3:06 PM, Digital Man said:

Also, if I connect with the analogue outs instead of HDMI, is there, if any, sound differences between the the two ? What else could be, potentially, lacking in this scenario ?

Yes, there is a sound quality variance that comes into it as the RCAs are then using the 32bit DACs...   

You may have to use some of the bass management and speaker settings in the Oppo Audio menu if your AVR doesn't have the ability to account for it. 

Essentially RCA out is raw audio