LS3\5A what's with the values?

Ok so I've owned and been impressed to some extent (in small very rooms) with Rogers (and other brand) LS3/5a speakers.

yes it was back in the 70s and 80s.

But today, I can't get my head around the current asking prices. Sometimes $3,500

You can pick up some nice Export Monitors or Studio 1s for a grand.

WTF is going on?

Collectables. You pay for the fact that they were used by the BBC, and that has given them fame. If you want a better version of the same sound (and drivers), may I suggest the Rogers JR149. Cylindrical speakers based on the 3/5a but meant to be used as a room speaker, not a studio monitor.

No mystique, just good performance. These little speakers really do give some modern or bigger ones a run for their money, if you consider their limitations. They cannot go really loud (but more than loud enough for me), and they have no deep bass (i.e. a sub may be advised, depending on your prefs). But their soundstage, imaging and midrange (voices!) is something to behold. And no, they are not vintage, they are still being made in one shape (following BBC specs like Stirling) or another (Harbeth P3ESR).

6 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

How does the pricing compare when you factor for inflation since the 70's/80's?

Yeah that’s a reasonable point. I think they were $700 but back then components like the KEF T27 tweeter we’re state of the art, now they should be pumping them out for minimal cost, same with the old B110.  But I get your point.

Edited by Ratbob