Help me pick a $600 speaker!

Hello everyone!

I have recently purchased a NAD amp which replaced a crappy pre-owned sherwood amp which was replaced by a pair of active $100 edifier speakers, and now my hi-fi is nearly complete with the exception of 1 (or technically 2) component(s)!.

I'm currently using a pair of crappy refurbished sherwoods I got for $100 to pair with my sherwood amp I got about 2 years ago, however after purchasing the NAD amp and hearing some much better setups than mine it is obvious that these sherwoods are not adequate.

I am torn between 3 different loudspeakers close to the same price point;  The Klipsch R51M, The ELAC debut 6.2 and The Jamo S803.

I had heard Klipsch has a certain sound to them that you either love or hate which makes me pensive to jump on spending that kind of money on them, everyone seems to agree ELACs are great but too me they're kind of ugly and I don't want to go with the boring option of "I should get this because everyone says it's great" and finally the Jamos were the speakers I'm most heavily leaning towards, The way people describe the sound quality is exactly what I want and aesthetically they are very beautiful too me, I love the little different coloured wooden platform underneath them and the covers look amazing and they look even better once taken off.

I'm posting this here basically under the assumption my hi-fi store of choice does not allow sound demoing and would like a second opinion from this forum

Take every opportunity to listen to as many speakers as you have an interest in. Read the commenatry and then trust your ears. You will find what you want that way. It may take a bit of time, but thats ok with this (what can be) journey of a life time

A great place to audition speakers is those that come up on platforms such as Gumtree and the like. GT particularly has a vast array of speakers for sale in that price range. If you are close to a city or big town you will find a good variety. A friend just coming into audio has just gone through that process with a very similar budget. He ended up with some very fine VAF DCX-2 on GT after auditioning a few options

Good luck, you will find what you want at the right price

Edited by aertex

I've also heard that StereoNet is a good place to get good used hifi stuff... and that most members are quite reputable.

Try putting an advert in the Wanted to Buy - at that price range there's bound to be lots around, eg, there's a pair of Dynaudio 42's just come up for $400 that look to be in excellent condition.

If you are open to buying used, below are a couple of good examples available in the classifieds for your budget. There are a few more to be found in your budget if you search around. The last 2 (in the list below) are well worth the money!

Edited by anandpkumar

• 2 weeks later...

For exactly $600 I managed to pick up a pair of Monitor Audio GD10s from a fellow SNA member a couple of years ago.

Take your time.  Keep an eye on the for sale section and listen to as many  speakers as you can within your budget.  Find out what you like before you buy.