A HiFi Journey: Destination Unknown.

Greetings fellow sound enthusiasts.  I'm about to start this thread with a bit of an extended post which I have been thinking about for a couple of days.  I am importing text from a word document so I could work on it for a half decent post. 

Those of you who know me could skip the next few paragraphs, just a bit of background for those that don’t know me.

I grew up listening to records, started buying my own and had a nice Metal collection going.  CD’s appeared and I stopped buying records for years, except a few here and there.  Three years ago I reconnected with my vinyl and turntable.  Soon after that I found SNA.

I don’t discriminate with formats, but have a passion for vinyl.  There are three things that appeal to me about records; the music, the cover art and the tactile needle in groove.

I usually post on the Music Spinning Threads.  All my life I have focussed on the music, rather than the sound, and I’ve never been concerned with equipment.  As long as it sound’s good. Of course. 

That has been changing of late.

My gear has been salvaged, given to me or bought from Op Shops.  Recently my old Rotel TT took a nose dive, prompting a speedy purchase to get me spinning again.  I found a basic Music Hall MMF 2.2, new, for less than half RRP (delivered).  It cost less than $300.

My Phono has never sounded as BIG as my CD/Digital.  I always turn the volume up more when playing a record.

I thought I should look for a phono stage to give me more gain, and the Schiit Mani and Vincent PHO-8 were recommended for my budget, by other members.

I picked up a PHO-8 in the SNA classifieds, as new, as described.  I will elaborate on the phono set up later.

These have been the two purchases driving my current enthusiasm to get around and listen to some wonderful examples of different equipment, while meeting like-minded, welcoming, fellow members.  I have now met two members in Canberra.  I have a planned trip to Melbourne in May, with a stop on the way at Stevoz place, and will finally meet Doug ( Tubularbells ), and hopefully a couple more of the Melbourne boys we see luxuriating with fine food, drink, friends and music at social get togethers, posted here on the forum.    

But, back to my budget, vintage gear.  I’ve spent around $400 at Op Shops over the years.  I won’t go into listing them, but they’ve kept me satisfied for almost twenty years. 

The only other money spent was on these Harman/Logan speakers…

1788021970_sweetspot.JPG.59063bd4c98e2ed690f6a1c010c51b07.JPG

Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, I bought these from ‘the back of a white van’.  $400.

I’ve never really liked the sound of them… until now.  They are a bass reflex system, with a side, covered opening, which feels like it has a driver behind ( cover does not remove ), and a rear firing port.  There wasn’t much on the net when I bought them.  Cheap knock offs, or hot property genuine?  I’m not 100%. 

I think they would be cheap knock offs but they sound OK to me after hooking them up again.  I have moved listening positions from lengthwise to sideways within the lounge room, as they are rear ported I wanted to try them closer to the wall.

3 way.    Frequency  35Hz – 20kHz    Sensitivity 88dB.    100/500W    Made in China.

Running with two Sharp Optonica 3 ways. But I don’t have any specs for them.  They are part of a component system including amp, tuner and turntable, picked up in Vinnie’s, Waverley, many moons ago.

I started a thread in the Get Togethers forum about my visit to Sime’s place.  I will try and have it moved here as it might find more members in this section.

Sime does not play records.  I was hotly anticipating meeting Furtherpale and hearing his vinyl rig.  He encouraged me to bring a couple of albums, “If they are clean”, and fair enough too.

Furtherpale has a small, but growing collection of quality vinyl, including several Mofi recordings.

Running a Rega P6, Luxman amp and Dali speakers.  The listening room is smallish but well treated with acoustic panels.  He does run some other gear, but I only took mental notes and don’t recall everything.  I plan to make further visits to both members down the track, when more will sink in about their rigs.

I should write that I did not listen to the same music at each session.  These words are not a true comparison of sound between two systems.  I feel that to be more accurate, the same source material should be played.

The first record up was Travelling Wilburys Vol. 1, I think it was MoFi, but not 100%.

It sounded wonderful.  I have this album on CD and hard drive and it sounds great.

Next up was ‘Houses of the Holy’.  Apologies that I can’t recall offhand which pressing, but noted it was considered one of the best.  I think U.K. 1st Press.

I’ve never heard Zeppelin sound so good.  The scope of the soundstage and the detail were amazing.  Sitting in the sweet spot listening to such a beautiful piece of vinyl, my o my.  Everything just opened up.

To be in the centre of the drums listening to the tom’s panning left / right, just as it should be.  Hearing room in the music as it more space to breathe.

Fortunately Furtherpale provided a comprehensive list of his vinyl pressings, so I can let you know exactly. 

After checking the list it doesn’t show which are MoFi pressings.

We heard a little Tracy Chapman, Norah Jones, Bob Dylan & The Beatles.

Nirvana ‘Nevermind’.  My favourite album.

I probably first heard them on triple J.. I saw them at the first Big Day Out in Sydney, much to Furtherpale’s envy.  I know this album inside out, but I don’t often listen to any of their other work.

Like the Zeppelin album, I have never heard ‘Nevermind’ sound so good, except in the Horden Pavilion, Sydney 1992.  There I go again, dropping that little Gem.

It was one of the records I took to Sime’s with me, as I have a E.U. pressed, Simply Vinyl reissue.

This was very handy as we had some comparison.  I always thought my vinyl sounded pretty ordinary and was very keen to hear the two. 

His pressing was sublime.  I could hear detail and feel depth that I had long forgotten.  It’s easy to forget how good albums should sound when you don’t hear them as they should sound.

We played my copy and yeah!  It’s sounded like sh!t.  No depth to it at all.  Furtherpale mentioned that It was a good example of compression, a characteristic I’m not too sure what to listen for.  It became more obvious having the two for comparison.  I would still have trouble describing the difference, but now I’ve heard it.

I played my CD copy today and it sounds pretty ordinary. 

I have hazy memories of all records sounding fantastic, something that has slowly but surely changed over the years.  The ratio of ordinary / great  sounding records is far higher these days, or so it would seem.

I have recently picked up three Black Sabbath Rhino reissues.  ‘Paranoid’ just blows me away, I’ve never heard Sabbath sound so good.  I hunted ‘Sabbath Bloody Sabbath’ based on the quality of ‘Paranoid’, but I’m woefully disappointed in this Rhino reissue, it sounds terrible.  We sampled it on the Rega, and it still sounded like sh!t.

We played a section from Pink Floyd’s ‘The Wall’ where the helicopter comes in, and Man!!  I thought it was landing outside!

We only had a brief digital sample with a little Hip Hop, which may have been Dr Dre.

Like my own system the digital sound is louder and seems more dynamic than the phono.  I could feel some real nice, very low bass waves, and everything was crisp and tight.

Furtherpale does use a room correction feature, but he would have to elaborate upon that, it’s an area still a way down the track for me.

I’ve noticed a few comments regarding the analogue / digital comparisons.  I think, if memory serves me correctly, the consensus is we need to spend a lot more on Phono equipment to exceed the Digital standard.  But I could be mistaken.

I know I wanted a little more pep out of my TT, prompting the addition of a phono stage.

We played a couple of quick samples of my records. 

Om’s ‘Adviatic Songs’, which just floored me with the warmth and beauty.  I left it with Furtherpale as he liked what he heard.  It is my copy I bought at the gig and had signed by the band.

We played the Rhino reissue of Sabbath’s ‘Paranoid’, and YEAH – IT F*CKIN’ ROCKS.  Highly recommended.

Before you know it almost three hours have passed.

It was great to hear vinyl the way it should sound, quality pressings through quality equipment.  The warmth and comfort of the phono sound has a very soothing quality.  I think one description I used to describe the sound was ‘smooth’.

I departed after saying goodbye to Troy and Ange, their poodle Bronson ( is that correct? ), and the two felines, I don’t recall names

I’ve left a couple of records with him to sample, and hope to head over to Canberra once a month or so, for the near future at least; while me education continues.

It was a great afternoon and I’ll probably stay the night next visit, so we can really get down to business.

Overall I I found Sime’s digital system had a presence that captivated me.  I could really feel something in that final detail that continuously made me smile.

As mentioned earlier, I will be able to compare the two sounds after hearing the same source material.  I’ve begun making my reference folder which includes Lou Reed’s ‘Vanishing Act' from The Raven album.

I think Sime’s HiRez version of Tool’s ‘Fear Innoculum’ will be a standard measuring tool ( pardon the pun ).

I have to wrap this up.  Apologies once again for the length, but I wish to keep a decent record of my HiFi journey.

The general nature of my comments and descriptions will refine over time.  It’s all new to me.

The view standing behind the sweet spot...

1109161023_backfromsweetspot.JPG.9234951c88d5081ec8c183f20238b1b8.JPG

I just move a recliner into the middle.

The deck...

tt.JPG.4f7ba05ebe8d86ef28bc7a052ba3bb48.JPG

... and the records...

records.JPG.2e5af25c2b9e398104fc3ce41567012b.JPG

All the best.

Ant.

Edit - Forgot to tag the boys in - @furtherpale    @Sime

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 12

How cool is it when you get to pay it forward a bit?

‘Twas an awesome day. Not wanting to ruin the the above outstanding post - I’ll stick to filling in the blanks.

Houses of the Holy is a UK 1st press (RL), Wilburys is a US 1st press. Tracy Chapman is a US 1st press (ahhh - DMM), Norah is an AP, BobDylan is MoFi, the Beatles the mono analogue, Nevermind is MoFi.

The hip hop was Baka not Nice - Junior High (be careful if playing it - it will pole bass drivers in a heartbeat).

Room correction is Dirac via a NAD c658. 

You lads down south (HOME!!!) are in for a treat - as am I Friday night with Om and Sabbath!

Oh - Squeakers is the one who hid, George is the enormous black heffalump. 

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 2

An enjoyable read from all of the above.

It seems like you have a very interesting journey ahead of you @BuzzzFuzzz.

It's not the destination that counts it's the journey, and it seems like you've had some pretty good stops on your journey already.

I look forward to reading further instalments.

Cheers,

Interface

• Like 1

@BuzzzFuzzz, it's really great to see you having such an open mind to experiencing other people's systems.

You're more than welcome to come out to my place to hear my system and meet my Zoe dog if you do get down in May. (She will think that's the  main reason for the visit of course !!)

I have a Classic Records version of Houses of the Holy to see if I can give@furtherpalea run for his money with his strong effort !! :D 

Your system and collection looks to be coming along nicely.

I'm sorry to say it would be well worth saving up for a good pair of speakers to replace those white van jobs.

Dodgy knock offs I'm afraid, they copy the name Harman from Harman Kardon and Logan from Martin Logan to make them sound like they are something special when they are really the cheapest of the cheap.

If you're unsure don't be afraid to ask. :) 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Greetings fellow sound enthusiasts.  I'm about to start this thread with a bit of an extended post which I have been thinking about for a couple of days.  I am importing text from a word document so I could work on it for a half decent post. 

Those of you who know me could skip the next few paragraphs, just a bit of background for those that don’t know me.

I grew up listening to records, started buying my own and had a nice Metal collection going.  CD’s appeared and I stopped buying records for years, except a few here and there.  Three years ago I reconnected with my vinyl and turntable.  Soon after that I found SNA.

I don’t discriminate with formats, but have a passion for vinyl.  There are three things that appeal to me about records; the music, the cover art and the tactile needle in groove.

I usually post on the Music Spinning Threads.  All my life I have focussed on the music, rather than the sound, and I’ve never been concerned with equipment.  As long as it sound’s good. Of course. 

That has been changing of late.

My gear has been salvaged, given to me or bought from Op Shops.  Recently my old Rotel TT took a nose dive, prompting a speedy purchase to get me spinning again.  I found a basic Music Hall MMF 2.2, new, for less than half RRP (delivered).  It cost less than $300.

My Phono has never sounded as BIG as my CD/Digital.  I always turn the volume up more when playing a record.

I thought I should look for a phono stage to give me more gain, and the Schiit Mani and Vincent PHO-8 were recommended for my budget, by other members.

I picked up a PHO-8 in the SNA classifieds, as new, as described.  I will elaborate on the phono set up later.

These have been the two purchases driving my current enthusiasm to get around and listen to some wonderful examples of different equipment, while meeting like-minded, welcoming, fellow members.  I have now met two members in Canberra.  I have a planned trip to Melbourne in May, with a stop on the way at Stevoz place, and will finally meet Doug ( Tubularbells ), and hopefully a couple more of the Melbourne boys we see luxuriating with fine food, drink, friends and music at social get togethers, posted here on the forum.    

But, back to my budget, vintage gear.  I’ve spent around $400 at Op Shops over the years.  I won’t go into listing them, but they’ve kept me satisfied for almost twenty years. 

The only other money spent was on these Harman/Logan speakers…

1788021970_sweetspot.JPG.59063bd4c98e2ed690f6a1c010c51b07.JPG

Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, I bought these from ‘the back of a white van’.  $400.

I’ve never really liked the sound of them… until now.  They are a bass reflex system, with a side, covered opening, which feels like it has a driver behind ( cover does not remove ), and a rear firing port.  There wasn’t much on the net when I bought them.  Cheap knock offs, or hot property genuine?  I’m not 100%. 

I think they would be cheap knock offs but they sound OK to me after hooking them up again.  I have moved listening positions from lengthwise to sideways within the lounge room, as they are rear ported I wanted to try them closer to the wall.

3 way.    Frequency  35Hz – 20kHz    Sensitivity 88dB.    100/500W    Made in China.

Running with two Sharp Optonica 3 ways. But I don’t have any specs for them.  They are part of a component system including amp, tuner and turntable, picked up in Vinnie’s, Waverley, many moons ago.

I started a thread in the Get Togethers forum about my visit to Sime’s place.  I will try and have it moved here as it might find more members in this section.

Sime does not play records.  I was hotly anticipating meeting Furtherpale and hearing his vinyl rig.  He encouraged me to bring a couple of albums, “If they are clean”, and fair enough too.

Furtherpale has a small, but growing collection of quality vinyl, including several Mofi recordings.

Running a Rega P6, Luxman amp and Dali speakers.  The listening room is smallish but well treated with acoustic panels.  He does run some other gear, but I only took mental notes and don’t recall everything.  I plan to make further visits to both members down the track, when more will sink in about their rigs.

I should write that I did not listen to the same music at each session.  These words are not a true comparison of sound between two systems.  I feel that to be more accurate, the same source material should be played.

The first record up was Travelling Wilburys Vol. 1, I think it was MoFi, but not 100%.

It sounded wonderful.  I have this album on CD and hard drive and it sounds great.

Next up was ‘Houses of the Holy’.  Apologies that I can’t recall offhand which pressing, but noted it was considered one of the best.  I think U.K. 1st Press.

I’ve never heard Zeppelin sound so good.  The scope of the soundstage and the detail were amazing.  Sitting in the sweet spot listening to such a beautiful piece of vinyl, my o my.  Everything just opened up.

To be in the centre of the drums listening to the tom’s panning left / right, just as it should be.  Hearing room in the music as it more space to breathe.

Fortunately Furtherpale provided a comprehensive list of his vinyl pressings, so I can let you know exactly. 

After checking the list it doesn’t show which are MoFi pressings.

We heard a little Tracy Chapman, Norah Jones, Bob Dylan & The Beatles.

Nirvana ‘Nevermind’.  My favourite album.

I probably first heard them on triple J.. I saw them at the first Big Day Out in Sydney, much to Furtherpale’s envy.  I know this album inside out, but I don’t often listen to any of their other work.

Like the Zeppelin album, I have never heard ‘Nevermind’ sound so good, except in the Horden Pavilion, Sydney 1992.  There I go again, dropping that little Gem.

It was one of the records I took to Sime’s with me, as I have a E.U. pressed, Simply Vinyl reissue.

This was very handy as we had some comparison.  I always thought my vinyl sounded pretty ordinary and was very keen to hear the two. 

His pressing was sublime.  I could hear detail and feel depth that I had long forgotten.  It’s easy to forget how good albums should sound when you don’t hear them as they should sound.

We played my copy and yeah!  It’s sounded like sh!t.  No depth to it at all.  Furtherpale mentioned that It was a good example of compression, a characteristic I’m not too sure what to listen for.  It became more obvious having the two for comparison.  I would still have trouble describing the difference, but now I’ve heard it.

I played my CD copy today and it sounds pretty ordinary. 

I have hazy memories of all records sounding fantastic, something that has slowly but surely changed over the years.  The ratio of ordinary / great  sounding records is far higher these days, or so it would seem.

I have recently picked up three Black Sabbath Rhino reissues.  ‘Paranoid’ just blows me away, I’ve never heard Sabbath sound so good.  I hunted ‘Sabbath Bloody Sabbath’ based on the quality of ‘Paranoid’, but I’m woefully disappointed in this Rhino reissue, it sounds terrible.  We sampled it on the Rega, and it still sounded like sh!t.

We played a section from Pink Floyd’s ‘The Wall’ where the helicopter comes in, and Man!!  I thought it was landing outside!

We only had a brief digital sample with a little Hip Hop, which may have been Dr Dre.

Like my own system the digital sound is louder and seems more dynamic than the phono.  I could feel some real nice, very low bass waves, and everything was crisp and tight.

Furtherpale does use a room correction feature, but he would have to elaborate upon that, it’s an area still a way down the track for me.

I’ve noticed a few comments regarding the analogue / digital comparisons.  I think, if memory serves me correctly, the consensus is we need to spend a lot more on Phono equipment to exceed the Digital standard.  But I could be mistaken.

I know I wanted a little more pep out of my TT, prompting the addition of a phono stage.

We played a couple of quick samples of my records. 

Om’s ‘Adviatic Songs’, which just floored me with the warmth and beauty.  I left it with Furtherpale as he liked what he heard.  It is my copy I bought at the gig and had signed by the band.

We played the Rhino reissue of Sabbath’s ‘Paranoid’, and YEAH – IT F*CKIN’ ROCKS.  Highly recommended.

Before you know it almost three hours have passed.

It was great to hear vinyl the way it should sound, quality pressings through quality equipment.  The warmth and comfort of the phono sound has a very soothing quality.  I think one description I used to describe the sound was ‘smooth’.

I departed after saying goodbye to Troy and Ange, their poodle Bronson ( is that correct? ), and the two felines, I don’t recall names

I’ve left a couple of records with him to sample, and hope to head over to Canberra once a month or so, for the near future at least; while me education continues.

It was a great afternoon and I’ll probably stay the night next visit, so we can really get down to business.

Overall I I found Sime’s digital system had a presence that captivated me.  I could really feel something in that final detail that continuously made me smile.

As mentioned earlier, I will be able to compare the two sounds after hearing the same source material.  I’ve begun making my reference folder which includes Lou Reed’s ‘Vanishing Act' from The Raven album.

I think Sime’s HiRez version of Tool’s ‘Fear Innoculum’ will be a standard measuring tool ( pardon the pun ).

I have to wrap this up.  Apologies once again for the length, but I wish to keep a decent record of my HiFi journey.

The general nature of my comments and descriptions will refine over time.  It’s all new to me.

The view standing behind the sweet spot...

1109161023_backfromsweetspot.JPG.9234951c88d5081ec8c183f20238b1b8.JPG

I just move a recliner into the middle.

The deck...

tt.JPG.4f7ba05ebe8d86ef28bc7a052ba3bb48.JPG

... and the records...

records.JPG.2e5af25c2b9e398104fc3ce41567012b.JPG

All the best.

Ant.

Edit - Forgot to tag the boys in - @furtherpale    @Sime

That was a great yarn Ant. Very much enjoyed it. Our hobby is like a fine red wine...must be shared.

We must be of a similar age. I remember l was a real metal head when l started my journey. Black 

Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heap, Judas Priest. Not so much now, but someone posted BSs Paranoid the other day, so had to have a listen on Spotify (don't own any metal albums anymore) and have to say l really enjoyed it. So much so, thinking og getting a vinyl copy.

The mid 90s was a real revelation to me. Loved the whole grunge jangly guitar thing. I mixed it up with a bit of Alt Country. Triple J was great back then. My kind of music seems to have dropped off. I think the only 2019 album l purchased was Tool's Inoculum (and what a bloody great album too).

My journey has been great. l have listened to a lot of genres and for the most part l have enjoyed. Not a fan of Rap, but don't mind Kanye. Don't like Blue Grass or Australian Country (shoot me now).

But my biggest joy over the last 2 years has been prog, especially the new stuff out of Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. Absolutely fantastic.

Have always liked Pink Floyd and King Crimson, and early Genesis. Now there is so much to choose from. I didn't know the genre was so huge.

I now have a really great system that l totally upgraded last July and my music now sounds the best it ever has.  And will probably be my end game.  After 20k don't really want to spend anymore. I have done all my tweaking with various cables and speaker positioning,and it sounds really great to my ears. You know it's good when you can't wait to hear it next.

And as of 15th Feb l qualify for the aged pension. So officially will be an old flogger. Yep life's good.

Happy listening and thanks for putting up with my meanderings.

Ken.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Martykt said:

Harman Kardon and Logan from Martin Logan to make them sound like they are something special

Yeah mate, I suspected as much being familiar with both names, but not together.  He was very persistent and I eventually folded.

They are nothing special, and initially I was disappointed in both the sound, and my contribution to shady characters.

I haven't hooked them up for months, but moving all the gear around prompted another listen.  While accepting them for what they are, I was rather impressed.

Initially I found them lack lustre, sounding OK, but never quite 'singing.'  I can't really describe it more just yet, my experience is building though, and I will be able to provide more detailed descriptions.

It has me wondering if they are sounding different due to my recent, interstate move and new home?  Quite possible.

7 hours ago, Martykt said:

I'm sorry to say it would be well worth saving up for a good pair of speakers to replace those white van jobs.

I have put a hold on music purchases lately, except 1 bandcamp download and 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' on vinyl, putting funds aside for that very thought.

It will take some time, but it has provided an opportunity to learn more before jumping in.  As per usual for me on SNA, members have been very generous with both direct advice and indirectly with posts throughout the forum.

As mentioned, I haven't really been concerned too much with sound, as long as it sounds good / decent.  When it sounds good I don't really analyse the sound, I'm right in the music.

However, my recent move and new job have provided an opportunity to take a modest step up the HiFi ladder. 

I have a lot of time to myself and like to play music whenever I like.  When my old TT gave up, I was without my records and made a hasty purchase to get me back into it.  That prompted this journey.

I'm happy with the Music Hall deck and Vincent phono stage, but new speakers are first on my list, down the track will be amplification, then another modest step up the TT ladder.

My focus now is speakers. 

Not being concerned with sound has led to an ignorance of it's characteristics and only a very basic understanding of equipment specifications.  Having the time available, and taking time to save the cash, is providing a great opportunity to learn and should make my decisions easier by narrowing my selection field, and less risky by making fewer mistakes.

I am 53 this year, I am single with no children and quite content.  My recent move places me where I don't know many people.  It's a three and a half hour drive to Canberra. 

I was born out this way but grew up just North of Sydney, I've spent a lot of time out here as a kid, but never lived out here.  I like it here, it will be my home for some years.

So I have decided to reach out to forum members for a few reasons.

I must make an effort to make friends to grow old / older with.  People who have the same interests but not backgrounds.  This will be essential for ongoing balance.

Learning from generous, welcoming and genuine members and hearing their set ups.  What better way to learn and audition gear?  Especially out here, a few miles from everywhere, where there ain't no HiFi shops.

I think I'd rather do it this way anyway, I won't hear the number of choices a dealer can audition, but I will make new friends as I go.

I intend a write up about looking for speakers, essentially trying to define exactly what I want from them. 

Will keep y'all posted...     

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

I am 53 this year, I am single with no children and quite content.  My recent move places me where I don't know many people.  It's a three and a half hour drive to Canberra. 

I was born out this way but grew up just North of Sydney, I've spent a lot of time out here as a kid, but never lived out here.  I like it here, it will be my home for some years.

I know West Wyalong well (if memory serves from another thread.... ?) as I used to drive through it regularly.... well until my B-Double burnt to the ground up at Marsden just north of there..... :unsure: 

Yeah, West Wyalong.  Living close to the highway so have a few trucks rumbling by, but no immediate neighbours allows me to pump up the jam. 

My ears are getting older though, so I don't pump it up often these days.

• Like 1