best cd ripper / digital server system

question - i have a huge cd selection that i still love, a great musical fidelity single cd player that i use regularly. im to find the best high end music server / DAC that has a good user interface and hopefully can rip cds. i have zero interest in spotify or mp3. maybe for the car or jogging but i want pristine lossless audio for my setup. i would consider anything that is not to cumbersome. i toyed with the idea of a dedicated computer and adding a dac but i was hoping there was a stand alone solution, money no object if the device is nice enough, having said that i have steered away from a few cheaper solutions as i thought they couldnt be good for the price. checked out some other forums but found that naturally enough there is a huge cross section of users with experience ranging from the beginner to the expert with the resulting muddying of the waters this brings...

Those devices do look good!

i guess I’m a bit old school, CDs ripped and other hi-res files stored on a NAS on the home network, then accessed by Audirvana+ on a Mac Mini, then via USB to a Luxman DA-250 DAC, then to amps etc. Works for me.

yes the mac system is closer to what i was thinking. those other devices are both discontinued and from companies i havent heard of. i imagine anything involving cds is on a shard decline if it still exists at all. i still love mine, just want to get a more convenient way to listen..

9 minutes ago, Vintage Vulture said:

yes the mac system is closer to what i was thinking. those other devices are both discontinued and from companies i havent heard of. i imagine anything involving cds is on a shard decline if it still exists at all. i still love mine, just want to get a more convenient way to listen..

I’ve had the Mac Mini for a few years now (2011 model) and it’s been great. Just upgraded RAM to 16Gb and installed an SSD drive all for $250, so it’s a new beast now. Audirvana is one solution, pretty simple and cheap, synchronises with Tidal as well. Can handle DSD files and high res PCM. IPad remote works well, so you can run it headless if you wish. I use a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad with mine. 

there are a few ripping solutions, but I usually use iTunes.

The Antipodes CX+EX solution is what I would consider “best” and can be optioned with a separate CD ripper, or supply your own at lower cost.  The cost is significant, but sound quality is better than just about anything else except Aurender W20se (which doesn’t rip).  Software side, Roon is just brilliant, and Antipodes does a better job of optimising this compared to Innuos or Aurender.

There are a few good quality all-in-one CD ripper/streamers around.

As @Pops110 mentioned, there is the Aria Piccollo and the Bluesound Vault.

There is also a Naim product that has been discussed here, as well as one from cocktail audio.

As an alternative, you can also use your laptop/desktop combined with a bit perfect ripping tool such as EAC (I have this, and it's free) or DBPoweramp 

I use my laptop with EAC, and then stream through an aurilic aries. Have probably ripped around 500-600 of my CDs over time using my laptop & EAC. 

Cheers.

P.S - I do find some of the all-in-one devices (CD ripper+streamer) far too costly as compared to a stand alone streamer. For example the bluesound vault is approx $2000, whereas the bluesound node (vault minus the CD ripper and storage) can be had for less than $1000. That's a big difference in my opinion

Edited by anandpkumar
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Vintage Vulture said:

The bluesound vault 2i is a current model, straight out of the box sounds very good but can certainly improve the sound with an external dac.

Sorry I linked the wrong aria product. This is the current model.
http://ariamusicserver.com/products/aria-piccolo-plus/

Couldnt tell you how they compare to the antipodes which should sound better given the price difference. How much are you willing to spend?

Hi VV

I have and was going to suggest this:

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/products/micro-jukebox?variant=14709249348

However it appears to be nearing discontinued status. 

The more up-to-date machine is this:

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/products/sonictransporter-i5-cdr?variant=15408136847394

The mJb is a brilliant over achiever and while it is "not recommended" for ROON, I continue to have acceptable performance using both the internal storage and Tidal, as long as I clear the cache regularly. When I was just using my small CD collection (200ish discs) I didn't even have to do that.

I didn't go for the latter option as it looks ugly. If SGCCo. did an updated version, that was "recommended" for ROON, I would upgrade in a heart beat. 

Cheers 

Grant