Intergrated SS amp for ns1000m

20 minutes ago, BATMAQN said:

Sansui, yes I'm biased but there's plenty to like about them.

I have a few extra ones sitting around.

I've had my eye on a few of the alphas that have been in the classifieds. Just wasn't sure how they would pair with the yammys

Guest jakeyb77

Yamaha A-2000 Japanese 100V model.

Has special functions for NS-1000 and 2000.

I may have a mint one that’s refurbished for sale soon with extremely rare matching CD player. 
They are also available online to import. 

Yamaha AS2100 or 1100. The speaker needs much better to make them perform so consider also a separate preamp and power combo at same price like an old Audio Research LS7 for $700, Conrad Johnson etc and some kind of power amp (tune or solid state), Bryston 3 or 4 Bst, Adcom 555, Musical Fidelity etc.

An ancient Yamaha PA2100 or 2200, 200w ($300-700) works very well but on its own has only one input so a preamp is generally needed, like a $500-1000 tube one.

Look around and come back here with models for further comment.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

Guest jakeyb77

Having owned both amps I think you’ll find the 2100 and certainly the 1100 underperforms your Musical Fidelity. Or at the very least give you a similar device and you won’t get a vastly differing experience for your money. 
Weston or similar valve integrated amps are also an option. Look for 40 wpc or more. 
There is a few of these threads with heaps of options. Just one of those speakers. 

4 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Yamaha A-2000 Japanese 100V model.

Has special functions for NS-1000 and 2000.

I may have a mint one that’s refurbished for sale soon with extremely rare matching CD player. 
They are also available online to import. 

Sounds like that would be something I'm interested in. Let me know when you're planning on moving it on.

4 hours ago, Al.M said:

Yamaha AS2100 or 1100. The speaker needs much better to make them perform so consider also a separate preamp and power combo at same price like an old Audio Research LS7 for $700, Conrad Johnson etc and some kind of power amp (tune or solid state), Bryston 3 or 4 Bst, Adcom 555, Musical Fidelity etc.

An ancient Yamaha PA2100 or 2200, 200w ($300-700) works very well but on its own has only one input so a preamp is generally needed, like a $500-1000 tube one.

Look around and come back here with models for further comment.

Cheers for the recommendation but I really want to keep to Japanese amps. I've got the Yamaha ns1000m and a technics sp10 mkII so want to keep the vintage Japanese theme going

• Like 1

From my experiences, for what it’s worth, I would steer clear of the Sansui alpha series amps for your NS1000M’s. The Sansui’s from that period are a little too clean and fast for the Yammies. As we all know, these speakers reveal exactly what they are fed. But, if that’s your cup of tea then go ahead! 

Good Japanese SS amps of that period in time are very much hit and miss. Be sure to do your research before you pull the trigger. 

• Like 1