WTB: SMSL SP200 AMP & SMSL SU-8 DAC or similar

Bengineer

Item:
Price Range:
Item Condition: New or Used
Extra Info:

Looking for a SMSL SP200 THX 888 Headphone Amp, or one of the other two THX ones. Drop 789 / Monoprice 887 etc.

And a DAC with two outputs, either dual RCA or RCA and bal XLR.

Such as a SMSL SU-8 and /  or anything else that is good.

Edited by Bengineer

1 hour ago, Pete Gardner said:

Reviews seem to compare favourabley. I had the SP200 but sold yesterday (to mjledme by coincidence). Check zeos out on youtube.

I paid 400 thru amazon australia mid Dec.

Why did you sell?

On 01/02/2020 at 5:03 PM, Pete Gardner said:

Reviews seem to compare favourabley. I had the SP200 but sold yesterday (to mjledme by coincidence). Check zeos out on youtube.

I paid 400 thru amazon australia mid Dec.

Playing with Pete’s SP200 now. As Z said in his YouTube review, it’s a power monster. With my HD600 I don’t need high gain. Lower gain less than 12 o’clock position is more than enough...

• Like 1

On 01/02/2020 at 7:03 PM, Bengineer said:

Ah fair.

Well price is good. Reviews well.

Now to find a DAC to suit. Maybe Topping D50s or the SMSL SU8?

Gieseler DACs are extremely well reviewed here in the forum. If within your budget guess would be a fit. However if not, Topping Dacs are highly recommended by Amir from audiosciencereview who believes measurements lol. Just pay attention to buy the D50S rather than the D50 version coz the ESS IMD hump is tamed

Haha okay lol. Guess will play for awhile tho ? what cans do you use? I see you will loan Matt’s 336SE amp? But from him if you like it, cannot deal with someone nicer. I bought my 336SE under his recommendation and use my HD600 with my 336SE, a heavenly match!

Haha you’ve already bought it? I thought you’d try out first. I didn’t do much tube rolling yet. Just using a Sylvania 6SN7 and a black RCA 6AS7. Sounds good to me. Matt got very good ears. I’m thinking to buy one Melz tube he recommended and see how it goes lol.

The guy I bought my 336SE from used a HD6XX with it. A brief listening revealed that it matches even better than HD600 in my opinion, especially the bottom end.

I also tried my low impedance Oppo PM-3 with it too, cannot say for your Sony Z1R but Oppo sounds awful with 336SE. One possible reason maybe the output impedance of the 336SE is too high...(you can check Amir’s review)

Enjoy!

OTL amp no no with low impedance cans is the general consensus. Not even gonna try the Z1R.

Buy a pair of the tubes and I'll take one of it's cheaper that way!

DAC time now. Matt keeps trying to get me into $20-30 eBay cheapies :P

There seems to be a lot of variations of the Melz 6H8C hole plate tubes. One pair had been sold for AUD $450 in reverb.com an one is on sale for USD $199 now

http://www.audiophiletubes.com/6n8p-6sn7-6h8c-melz-russia-metal-base-black-hole-plate-nos-tubes-great-sound-quality-m-pair.html

Willing to share and split the bill? ?

@Bengineer

I was going down this path of looking at separate headamp and dac for desktop use, but ended up with a one box solution. Check out the Questyle CMA400i, which is what I ended up with. Does PCM384, DSD256, AKM AK4490 dac, fully balanced, and has both rca and balanced output. Lots of very positive reviews. I have been very happy using it with my Aeon Flow closed phones. You should be able to pick one up in budget