Just when you thought Amazon couldn't be anymore dodgey

cafe67

one definite dodgy to watch out for folks... this is confirmed....

you see amazon au are a authorised canon seller in this country. ie will sell local canon stock and for which you get 5 year local canon warranty...

except...

and this is the watch out...

where amazon au sells parallel imported canon product... in which case missing will be anything about warranty... if you ring them will find out it has amazon 1 year warranty ? ie have to contact them and send to them if needs fixing and goodness knows where goes and runs out in one year rather than 5 eyers get with the local landed product.

this kind of thing happened with jb hifi for a while till got sorted out and they only sell local not parallel import. 

note this is as aside to various canon resellers on amazon au. am not talking the grey importers themselves with shops on amazon au...

so moral of story if buying from amazon au..anything where want a local warranty .,..ring and check with them specifically what the warranty is and who is providing it ...

• Volunteer
3 hours ago, metal beat said:

Not sure how Amazon is dodgy on this. 

Does Westfield get sued when products bought at one of the stores  is faulty?

Not sure about getting sued but as the seller, they are responsible for warranty issues (rather than the manufacturer)

14 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Not sure about getting sued but as the seller, they are responsible for warranty issues (rather than the manufacturer)

When you choose the marketplace sellers, you are not dealing with Amazon directly.   It is the marketplace seller who is responsible for warranty issues. 

That is pretty obvious to me.   You?

2 minutes ago, metal beat said:

When you choose the marketplace sellers, you are not dealing with Amazon directly.   It is the marketplace seller who is responsible for warranty issues. 

Agreed.

The responsibility lays squarely with the actual merchant selling the goods. In this (highly regrettable situation ) the 3rd party merchant is responsible for any loss or damage.

• Like 1

one of the problems we have with the current situation and amazon is not alone. ebay is just as bad is the gross accumulation of what is utter schit sold on these sites. much of it is very bad design in function....let alone looking at even safety or reliability aspect ! I shudder looking at some of the stuff which surely is just destined to landfill. what a waste of earths resources... and then there is other have come across and are pure death trap...evading all aspect of electrical safety and approvals and such. 

I know the article is a US one. but in australia when something is faulty to point of being a safety issue both the maker and retailer usually go into overdrive... because not only the harm to person but also harm to brand and reputation... let alone the litigation aspect which not being a legal eagle dont really know what the situation is so will defer on commenting on.

• Volunteer
14 minutes ago, metal beat said:

My reading of the article is that that is at the heart of the issue.

Amazon is dodging its "seller" responsibilities by claiming it is only the platform.

Reminds me a bit of the Napster argument that they were simply a file hosting service and therefore not responsible for piracy

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

My reading of the article is that that is at the heart of the issue.

Amazon is dodging its "seller" responsibilities by claiming it is only the platform.

Reminds me a bit of the Napster argument that they were simply a file hosting service and therefore not responsible for piracy

You are drawing a long incorrect  bow on that analogy.

What is the difference between amazon marketplace sellers and sellers that lease from Westfield?-  ignoring the obvious on line vs bricks n mortar.

Should Westfield be held responsible?

Edited by metal beat

• Volunteer

Slightly off topic but still amazon-related….

I find it a bit ironic that Jeff Bezos is upset that his phone was hacked :)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7913455/Jeff-Bezos-phone-hacked-2018-receiving-WhatsApp-Saudi-Arabian-crown-prince.html

On 31/01/2020 at 4:52 PM, sir sanders zingmore said:

I wonder where the buyer responsibilities sit in all this?     Surely if someone  decides to buy the cheapest of the cheap  they have to accept some risk?   As they say,  you can't have your cake and eat it too.   

I can't see how Amazon can feasibly be made responsible for everything  sold on their platform from a 3rd party.      

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, manchu said:

I wonder where the buyer responsibilities sit in all this?     Surely if someone  decides to buy the cheapest of the cheap  they have to accept some risk?   As they say,  you can't have your cake and eat it too.   

I can't see how Amazon can feasibly be made responsible for everything  sold on their platform from a 3rd party.      

Yep. 100% agree.

Just to be clear, I am not an apologist for Amazon in any way, but if this story was about any other online purchase, we probably would never have read about it.

If someone wants a cheap hair dryer , have a look at K mart, or Big W.

• Like 1

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, manchu said:

Looks like one court disagrees

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/03/appeals-court-says-amazon-is-liable-for-third-party-sellers-products.html

58 minutes ago, rantan said:

Yep. 100% agree.

Just to be clear, I am not an apologist for Amazon in any way, but if this story was about any other online purchase, we probably would never have read about it.

If someone wants a cheap hair dryer , have a look at K mart, or Big W.

But most people believe they are buying from Amazon, not a 3rd party. They couldn't care less how it arrives on their door. The platform is not as transparent as something like ebay where it's obvious who the seller is.

4 minutes ago, blybo said:

But most people believe they are buying from Amazon, not a 3rd party. They couldn't care less how it arrives on their door. The platform is not as transparent as something like ebay where it's obvious who the seller is.

If you can read simple primary school english, it is clear if you are buying from Amazon or a third party seller.

2 minutes ago, metal beat said:

If you can read simple primary school english, it is clear if you are buying from Amazon or a third party seller.

100% correct. I don't know if it is something in the water perhaps but some consumers just CBF reading the plain -as-day notification as to the identity of the actual seller.

People assume at their peril.

5 minutes ago, rantan said:

100% correct. I don't know if it is something in the water perhaps but some consumers just CBF reading the plain -as-day notification as to the identity of the actual seller.

People assume at their peril.

Amazon do have the A-Z guarantee for all 3rd party sellers for any issues on delivery.

This imo reinforces you are dealing with a third party seller but certainly does not mention warranty or implied warranty covered by Amazon.

24 minutes ago, blybo said:

The platform is not as transparent as something like ebay where it's obvious who the seller is.

Right under "Buy Now"  it notes  the seller,   and links to their profile for feedback and other items for sale.   Almost exactly like ebay in that respect,   except amazon has the info closer to the buy button so arguably more transparent.   

People might wrongly believe  that Amazon sells everything on their site,  but that's not though a lack of transparency by Amazon.       

Edited by manchu
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, metal beat said:

11 minutes ago, manchu said:

Right under "Buy Now"  it notes  the seller,   and links to their profile for feedback and other items for sale.   Almost exactly like ebay in that respect,   except amazon has the info closer to the buy button so arguably more transparent.   

People might wrongly believe  that Amazon sells everything on their site,  but that's not though a lack of transparency by Amazon.       

Yes yes yes. I know in my case I never take any notice where it's coming from though, as long as I get it at the price I see. This is the point being made in court cases too.

The trouble with Amazon, is that they aren't just the platform. They have their greasy fingers in the deal from start to finish. Try buying some of these items direct from the sellers by bypassing Amazon, they are just like ebay. If they could impose crucifixion on sellers who bypass their platform, they would. This is why ebay work so hard to sort out the deals that go pear shaped. This is part of the reason why the divorce with paypal, everything was too tied up and ebay had to take on much more responsibility. They started introducing things like escrow services but that became expensive both time and money wise. Now they try to get everyone to use their overpriced Global Shipping Program, but sellers are realising this is reducing the bid offers. Their is much in similarity between the two empires, ebay appears to be trying to address it, whereas Amazon is trying to dodge it.