Kii Audio Owners and Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Orea or Gaia for Kii Three?

Maybe can argue that the Kii Three is coupled with the BXT module and thus should use the Gaia (note weight is sum of both).

But the Kii Three sits on a standard stand and thus should use the Orea. Unless someone can say the Gaia is better, there should be no reason to go the Gaia. Even then, would need to somehow couple the Kii Three to the stand (anyone dare drill to add bolts???)

Fair reasoning, also cheaper so i like your way of thinking!

What are you using under your stands? Are you sitting them flat on a floor or on spikes, or something else?

Any comments from others as to best coupling method between the stands and hard floors?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

Fair reasoning, also cheaper so i like your way of thinking!

What are you using under your stands? Are you sitting them flat on a floor or on spikes, or something else?

Also, would have needed the bigger, more expensive Gaia to cater for weight of both.

Mine sit on timber on concrete base.  You only need the Orea (or even cheaper Iso Puck) which does a good job of isolating the vibration, nothing else needed for the Kii Three. 

But, components feeding the Kii Three can sometimes be improved with Isoacoustics.  In my setup, the NUC did not improve, but the EtherRegen did. Even tried the Kii Controller, no gain.  Fortunately, going down this rabbit hole is relatively inexpensive...

• Like 2

@wikeeboy, going back through this thread, @antcarrier using Iso Pucks

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/300131-kii-audio-owners-and-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4601633

@PleasantSounds using ISO-200 stands

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/300131-kii-audio-owners-and-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4604297

And if ISO Stands are good enough for Jacob Collier (two-time GRAMMY award-winning singer, composer, arranger, producer) !!!

https://youtu.be/2qKS_Sb2szI

So suggest saving money and get the Isoacoustics Pro range ISO stand or ISO Puck, rather than the Orea...

11 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

@wikeeboy, going back through this thread, @antcarrier using Iso Pucks

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/300131-kii-audio-owners-and-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4601633

@PleasantSounds using ISO-200 stands

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/300131-kii-audio-owners-and-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4604297

And if ISO Stands are good enough for Jacob Collier (two-time GRAMMY award-winning singer, composer, arranger, producer) !!!

https://youtu.be/2qKS_Sb2szI

So suggest saving money and get the Isoacoustics Pro range ISO stand or ISO Puck, rather than the Orea...

Thanks mate, i've got the Buchardt A500's arriving soonish so i'll grab something to suit/try on the Kii and A500's.

3 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Looking forward to your compare! 

Ditto - have found it hard not to dive in an buy a pair of A500's - only stopped by the lead time . . . and that others will do the comparison for me!

18 hours ago, gibbo9000 said:

Ditto - have found it hard not to dive in an buy a pair of A500's - only stopped by the lead time . . . and that others will do the comparison for me!

Isn't it interesting that a few Kii Three owners are keen to look at the A500?  Could it be that we are no longer satisfied?  No, is my answer, still enjoying it a lot.  But I know I am value focused and that is what is piquing my interest. Could the A500, at a quarter the price, get close enough as a replacement?  Someone did! Not normally my style to post a competitive product in an owner's thread, but since the boss of this thread (Gibbo) is interested, I figured it is OK! ?

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/review-buchardt-audio-a500-speaker-system-r962/

22 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Could the A500, at a quarter the price, get close enough as a replacement?

Would be awesome if they did.  I was thinking if they were half as good at their price they are a great active solution to help build the whole category / experience - and tidy up my second system.  Kii's aren't going anywhere, aided by the sub-integration if I want more thumping bass.  Would also be keen to hear more about the A700's.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Topman_Chief said:

That audiophilestyle review didn't really say much at all. Looking forward to your review @wikeeboy

I agree review could have been better, but the reviewer was replacing his Kii Threes. Which suggests that the A500 is close enough?

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Isn't it interesting that a few Kii Three owners are keen to look at the A500?  Could it be that we are no longer satisfied?  No, is my answer, still enjoying it a lot.  But I know I am value focused and that is what is piquing my interest. Could the A500, at a quarter the price, get close enough as a replacement?  Someone did! Not normally my style to post a competitive product in an owner's thread, but since the boss of this thread (Gibbo) is interested, I figured it is OK! ?

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/review-buchardt-audio-a500-speaker-system-r962/

I've had a few PM's asking if i'm no longer happy with the Kii's seeing i've purchased the A500's. For me it really has nothing to do with being particularly unhappy with the Kii's. I like trying different lots of different gear just for the fun of it, and with that of course comes comparisons to what you have, and have had.

I think the kii's will be unsurpassed (except for possibly D&D 8c's and Genelec One's) when it comes to accuracy. If in a studio environment, i can't see you doing better than a pair of Kii's, they are simply amazing. That also applies for 'critical' listening in a home environment. Although i still do believe the kii's to be a little 'dry' when compared to high end 'audiophile' speakers. Only so far DSP can go with off the shelf drivers.

My gut feel on the A500's is they won't be as 'accurate' as the kii's, or be as pinpoint with imaging, but will possibly be better in the fun factor area. If you just do your listening in 'critical' mode all the time, and with high quality demo tracks, then the Kii's will be the ones. If you're like i've been of more recent times using your gear in a family shared environment with a lot of background music, i'm thinking the A500's may be a bit more fun and expressive... but that's just a guess at the moment :)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

My gut feel on the A500's is they won't be as 'accurate' as the kii's, or be as pinpoint with imaging, but will possibly be better in the fun factor area. If you just do your listening in 'critical' mode all the time, and with high quality demo tracks, then the Kii's will be the ones. If you're like i've been of more recent times using your gear in a family shared environment with a lot of background music, i'm thinking the A500's may be a bit more fun and expressive... but that's just a guess at the moment :)

Mine are in a family room, mostly for non critical listening of familiar music that the better half likes (but does not appreciate the SQ, story for another day!  ?).  

With the Kii Threes, I do notice details not heard before even though I am in casual mode. Plus the sound stage is large and multi layered. The last point is what I look for in all systems.

When do your A500s arrive?  I assume they have a burn in time?

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 1

Shipping delayed due to COVID, grrr. Was meant to arrive this week, now it's not scheduled to arrive in Denmark till mid March then will be sent here so likely late March early April.

Oh, forgot to mention in the meantime i have some Genelec 8351's on the way... should be another really interesting experience/comparison in the new active speaker space :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wikeeboy said:

Shipping delayed due to COVID, grrr. Was meant to arrive this week, now it's not scheduled to arrive in Denmark till mid March then will be sent here so likely late March early April.

Oh, forgot to mention in the meantime i have some Genelec 8351's on the way... should be another really interesting experience/comparison in the new active speaker space :)

Nice! The guy I bought my Audioengine A5's off in Canada 12+ years ago had big Genelec monitors on stands, plus their sub, set up in his flat. He was over the moon at the performance for the money. I still remember how great it sounded. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

He is now selling the a500 and has bought speakers from Heavenly Soundworks. They are a new firm, direct Kii competitor, IMO. Their "bookshelf" speaker is 10K US. They also have 30K and 80K floorstanders coming.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, firedog said:

He is now selling the a500 and has bought speakers from Heavenly Soundworks. They are a new firm, direct Kii competitor, IMO. Their "bookshelf" speaker is 10K US. They also have 30K and 80K floorstanders coming.

Hadn't heard of this company before. Interesting! This space is definitely heating up!

Apologies for the OT question...

For all the wise heads in here, what device can i buy to act as a digital switching box and also an adc for analogue inputs?

I love the Kii's ability to handle a multitude of digital and analgue inputs (kii control & rear of speakers). If not for those inputs however, what device would solve this?

I need something for the 8351 genelecs... It has dig and analogue on rear of speaker but i need more digital inputs. Pretty sure there's something from RME??

13 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

what device can i buy to act as a digital switching box and also an adc for analogue inputs?

One option is the miniDSP SHD if you need analogue and digital - or SHD Studio if you can suffice with digital and have separate ADC (my approach).  I have the SHD connected to Kii's via AES/EBU with the Kii controller disconnected.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gibbo9000 said:

One option is the miniDSP SHD if you need analogue and digital - or SHD Studio if you can suffice with digital and have separate ADC (my approach).  I have the SHD connected to Kii's via AES/EBU with the Kii controller disconnected.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

With the added benefit of Dirac thrown in? That could be fun :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TerryO said:

Out of interest gentlemen, what front ends are you using with your Kii 3’s? 

cheers,

Terry

Great question as i'm also very interested in what everyone's using, especially as a digital solution to feed the kii's.

My current setup is:

Turntable (KAB Modded Technics M5G)-> PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter -> Mutec M3+USB -> Kii Control (COAX)

Cullen/W4S Modified Sonos -> Mutec M3+USB -> Kii Control (Coax)

TV/Foxtel etc -> Kii Control (Optical)

DJ Rig (Technics Turntables & Allen & Heath Xone 96 Mixer) -> Direct Analogue XLR connection Kii Speakers

** I previously had all digital sources plugged in to the Mutec M3+USB, and the mutec directly connected to the Kii's via AES digital on speakers.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

With the Kii Threes, I do notice details not heard before even though I am in casual mode. Plus the sound stage is large and multi layered. The last point is what I look for in all systems.

?  IMO for me, if the speaker can produce a transparent, pin point image of the stage, and have good width, height, and depth  to the soundstage - thats a really well designed speaker!!  Since changing my upstream sources, i'm appreciating what the CX4F's can really do in my listening room.  I never really appreciated how transparent they were until i revised my source equip.   

• Like 2