Topping Owners & Discussion Thread

I notice several SNA members have ordered the D70. I'd be very interested in your impressions once you set them up. 

From what I've read on the ASR site, a coaxial connection seems to get the best results from this DAC. 

On 07/08/2019 at 10:22 PM, goldiver said:

From what I've read on the ASR site, a coaxial connection seems to get the best results from this DAC. 

Interesting. What was that based on? Does that mean for ideal USB use it would perform better with a separate USB to SPDIF converter?

3 hours ago, was_a said:

Yes, seems AES or coaxial options provide the best performance

I skimmed over the entire thread and couldn't find any measurements comparing AES or coaxial to USB. Where did you two come up with such a conclusion?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, I've received the demo Fein DAC II to compare with the Topping D70. Here is what I've noticed:

Anyway, my initial impressions of the Fein DAC 2 is that there is a noticeable improvement in precision, instrument separation and 'airiness' compared to the Topping D70, which sounded a bit thicker on USB connection. This could be an effect of the different output stage and psu Clayton uses for the Fein Dac 2 

I will try the coaxial output on both units as well. 

Both are good units and will serve their users well. I will say that Fein DAC II definitely has improved casework compared to the GroB unit I had before. 

Clayton has done a great job with the Fein DAC II, in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2019 at 10:22 PM, goldiver said:

I notice several SNA members have ordered the D70. I'd be very interested in your impressions once you set them up. 

Recently bought the D70 as I was curious how it might compare to my Benchmark DAC3 - which was considerably more expensive. Judging by measurements the D70 should be highly competitive.

I'd never owned a dac with an AKM converter, so thought this might be another draw card - they seem to have some fans.

Looking at these two smallish black boxes there is nothing to suggest the DAC3 is more expensive than the D70 (the DAC3 is physically unimpressive in fact) - arguably the D70 with its small OLED screen is better looking and appears well put together.  

I installed the D70 on the second XLR input of my Benchmark HPA4 pre/HP amp.

Cables for both were Mogami 2534 star quad/Neutrik gold XLRs.

Input to both DACs was from my Mac Mini via iFi usb3 decrapifier.

The gain on the XLR inputs of the HPA4 have +/-10dB adjustment in 0.5dB steps and was adjusted so that there was no perceptible level change switching between the DACs.

I set Roon up with the DAC3 and D70 'grouped' so that whatever music I played got streamed to both simultaneously - allowing me to switch from one to other with a simple button press.

Comparisons were then conducted via my Focal Utopia headphones and ATC SCM100aslt active speakers.

My initial impression of the D70 was quite positive, it sounded very decent - especially for the price.

Quick changes between the DACs showed a lot of similarities - I was actually expecting more differences from the AK4497 based D70 vs the ESS 9028 based DAC3.

EDIT:

I previously had a mini review of how I believed the DAC3 was better than the D70 - better transient/tonal detail and more realness and authenticity to acoustic instruments - the difference was pretty obvious.

However I subsequently played around with the filters on the D70 and realised that the standard filter (mode 3) was in fact a minimum phase filter. 

When I placed the D70 in mode 1 (linear phase, fast rolloff) it sounded similar to the DAC3 - and much more to my liking.

At this stage I don't have any serious issue with the sound of the D70.

Even with the different dac chip and build layout/parts It sounds close to the DAC3.

Once level matched switching between the two is pretty seamless - surprisingly so. 

The DAC3 has a bit more clarity and 'presence' and ambient detail/air - it sounds a bit more transparent and 'quick'. There is still some tonal 'flatness' with the D70 - well recorded piano shows this up - no doubt due to the above deficiencies. 

I probably need to listen further to tease out the differences, but thought I'd correct my setup mistake so that people aren't misled. 

Edited by Tobes
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Batty said:

Where does one buy a Denafrips AresII ?

@Dacman

He is the Australian Distributor.

Icontacted Vinshine a month or so ago and was put in contact with Stav by Alvin at Vinshine who is @Dacman on our forums.

I purchased one on the weekend from him, he has a handful on the way, once i heard it i secured one.

6 minutes ago, Batty said:

I am in contact with Dacman via PM

I have zero affiliation with Vinshine etc but Stav is a good guy to deal with.  I have had lengthy discussions with Clay from Giesler re his products and also Stav re the Denafrips products and found them both to be upstanding guys that give you time to chat and have your questions answered. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sloper said:

Goodaye all

Still waiting for somebody to give there impressions comparing a  D50 to the D70.

Considering a big shift of equipment so will need another DAC.

regards Bruce

If the measurements can be taken as means of deciding which will sound best they will sound the same.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-index-of-measurement-comparison-charts.8246/#post-207205

See both DACs at 109 dB SINAD.

I've done an extensive listening comparison between the Topping D30, D50 and D70s. Their sonic flavours are different according to their respective DAC chips, but dynamic delivery is rather similar due to their relatively small profiles. Power supplies are merely adequate, as is the number and quality of components used in the analogue output stages. In my opinion, these compromises make the D50 and D70 overpriced at RRP.

Soundwise, the D30 is very clean and quite balanced across the frequency range. The treble and upper-mids are a little forthright, but paired with forgiving amplification the D30 is great for a budget setup. It reminds me of the first-release Benchmark DAC. The D30 is also good value price-wise, and I keep one in the cupboard as a standby.

The D50 is even clearer with a wide soundstage and 'blacker' background, but it sounds rather sterile compared with the other ES9038 DACs I have (and have heard). It's my least favourite of the three Toppings.

The D70 would make a great beginner's DAC - at $450 or $500 AUD! It is smoother in the higher frequencies and midrange, yet it remains very transparent with a nice soundstage: in this respect it compares well to more expensive competition. On the flip-side, the bass lacks drive and definition, making things a little lumpy downstairs. And dynamically it disappoints, sounding somewhat restrained. I feel that a better-developed output stage would improve things (as would twin transformers!).

Hope that helps.

Edited by was_a
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1