Pitchfork's 200 best albums of 2010-2019: How many do you own?

On 29/10/2019 at 11:00 AM, Juzbear said:

I am not sure what the deal is with bashing Beyonce. Whilst I don’t love everything she does, she clearly has talent, has musical ambition which goes beyond just singing songs by Scandinavian super producers, and generally has good sounding records. If you haven’t heard it, have a listen to lemonade before you totally write her off.

As for hip hop, it is a pretty major movement, which is hard to ignore, due to its ubiquity. Like all, there are greats of the genre, and lots of filler. I have felt the same as many of the folks feel about hip hop, but about country music most of my life. Whilst it is still not a fave, I can see there  are some classics in there, even if I don’t want to listen to them much.

Justin

Totally agree. Lemonade really was one of the best albums released in 2016, of any genre. 

Many artists are pretty coy or modest when asked whether or not they knew what they were making would become a classic, but I believe most of the time they know when they have made something special. 

I am sure beyonce, jay z and all the producers and sound technicians would have been sitting in the studio and thinking... holy sh** this is a winner. 

It is a great pop album which i would love to listen to on any one of the haters' hifi systems with them and provide a running commentary. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/10/2019 at 4:09 PM, mrbuzzardstubble said:

I scrolled down until I got to Nicki Minaj before I decided to bail.

Hahaha exactly where I bailed too.. 

Apart from Gil Scott-Heron which kind of sounded familiar I didn't recognise a single band until her, and I didn't recognise her name for her music.

Am I old?

An interesting list this one. Boomkats Top 100 of 2019. No.1.

No.1 Kali Malone's The Sacrificial Code is an album of organ music. Might appeal to @Dilettanteque . It's just been re-issued on vinyl.

KALI MALONE

THE SACRIFICIAL CODE

Cat No: iDEAL192
Release date: 19 December 2019
Label: iDEAL Recordings
Genre: MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT
FREE MP3 WITH VINYL

Boomkat Product Review:
Our album of the year 2019 is Kali Malone’s 'The Sacrificial Code’ -  a major work featuring almost two hours of concentrated, creeping organ pieces. 'The Sacrificial Code' provided us with precious mental refuge just as the world started to spin out of control around us. It's an album that somehow slowed everything down, allowing us to take notice of every slight movement, as if every minute shift in sound became magnified through stillness. It's a stunning realisation of ideas borne out of academic and conceptual rigour, with a perception-altering quality that encouraged exploration without a preordained endpoint - the antithesis to the language of colourless musical platitudes we've become so accustomed to.

‘The Sacrificial Code’ takes a more surgical approach to the methods first explored on last year’s ‘Organ Dirges 2016 - 2017’. Over the course of three parts performed on three different organs, Malone’s minimalist process captures a jarring precision of closeness, both on the level of the materiality of the sounds and on the level of composition.The recordings here involved careful close miking of the pipe organ in such a way as to eliminate environmental identifiers as far as possible - essentially removing the large hall reverb so inextricably linked to the instrument. The pieces were then further compositionally stripped of gestural adornments and spontaneous expressive impulse -  an approach that flows against the grain of the prevailing musical hegemony, where sound is so often manipulated, and composition often steeped in self indulgence. It echoes Steve Reich’s sentiment “..by voluntarily giving up the freedom to do whatever momentarily comes to mind, we are, as a result, free of all that momentarily comes to mind.”

With its slow, purified and seemingly austere qualities ‘The Sacrificial Code’ guides us through an almost trance-inducing process where we become vulnerable receptors for every slight movement, where every miniature shift in sound becomes magnified through stillness. As such, it’s a uniquely satisfying exercise in transcendence through self restraint - a stunning realisation of ideas borne out of academic and conceptual rigour which gradually reveals startling personal dimensions. It has a perception-altering quality that encourages self exploration free of signposts and without a preordained endpoint - the antithesis to the language of colourless musical platitudes we've become so accustomed to.

Cheers :)

1.jpg

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

An interesting list this one. Boomkats Top 100 of 2019. No.1.

No.1 Kali Malone's The Sacrificial Code is an album of organ music. Might appeal to @Dilettanteque . It's just been re-issued on vinyl.

KALI MALONE

THE SACRIFICIAL CODE

Cat No: iDEAL192
Release date: 19 December 2019
Label: iDEAL Recordings
Genre: MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT
FREE MP3 WITH VINYL

Boomkat Product Review:
Our album of the year 2019 is Kali Malone’s 'The Sacrificial Code’ -  a major work featuring almost two hours of concentrated, creeping organ pieces. 'The Sacrificial Code' provided us with precious mental refuge just as the world started to spin out of control around us. It's an album that somehow slowed everything down, allowing us to take notice of every slight movement, as if every minute shift in sound became magnified through stillness. It's a stunning realisation of ideas borne out of academic and conceptual rigour, with a perception-altering quality that encouraged exploration without a preordained endpoint - the antithesis to the language of colourless musical platitudes we've become so accustomed to.

‘The Sacrificial Code’ takes a more surgical approach to the methods first explored on last year’s ‘Organ Dirges 2016 - 2017’. Over the course of three parts performed on three different organs, Malone’s minimalist process captures a jarring precision of closeness, both on the level of the materiality of the sounds and on the level of composition.The recordings here involved careful close miking of the pipe organ in such a way as to eliminate environmental identifiers as far as possible - essentially removing the large hall reverb so inextricably linked to the instrument. The pieces were then further compositionally stripped of gestural adornments and spontaneous expressive impulse -  an approach that flows against the grain of the prevailing musical hegemony, where sound is so often manipulated, and composition often steeped in self indulgence. It echoes Steve Reich’s sentiment “..by voluntarily giving up the freedom to do whatever momentarily comes to mind, we are, as a result, free of all that momentarily comes to mind.”

With its slow, purified and seemingly austere qualities ‘The Sacrificial Code’ guides us through an almost trance-inducing process where we become vulnerable receptors for every slight movement, where every miniature shift in sound becomes magnified through stillness. As such, it’s a uniquely satisfying exercise in transcendence through self restraint - a stunning realisation of ideas borne out of academic and conceptual rigour which gradually reveals startling personal dimensions. It has a perception-altering quality that encourages self exploration free of signposts and without a preordained endpoint - the antithesis to the language of colourless musical platitudes we've become so accustomed to.

Cheers :)

I will scamper off and explore :)  Thanks so much!

• Like 1

Thanks for this, @metal beat. I've been out of the loop for quite some time, so this (and the attendant alternatives posted here) will come in handy.

As for all the curmudgeonliness - it might be helpful for people to view these lists as recommendations rather than validation? 

The only thing I'd say in the negative is that sometimes the trendier lists can become a little backloaded - full of stuff from the past year or two whose shine hasn't quite worn off. The Pitchfork list does seem quite 2018 heavy.

• 11 months later...

Pitchfork's top 50 albums of 2020

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/best-albums-2020/

Only have four this year, but been meaning to add Phoebe Bridgers' soon.

24. Grimes: Miss Anthropocene

6. Bob Dylan: Rough and Rowdy Ways

5. Perfume Genius: Set My Heart on Fire Immediately

3. Moses Sumney: græ

12 hours ago, Citroen said:

Pitchfork's top 50 albums of 2020

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/best-albums-2020/

Only have four this year, but been meaning to add Phoebe Bridgers' soon.

24. Grimes: Miss Anthropocene

6. Bob Dylan: Rough and Rowdy Ways

5. Perfume Genius: Set My Heart on Fire Immediately

3. Moses Sumney: græ

Yep as expected own 0 and heard of even less , all very trendy n hip ?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...