Rotel's 'MICHI' Series Coming Back

• 1 month later...

They ARE enormous, S5 are the same. Wont even fit on my racks, my already large Multichannel receiver would be dwarfed by them.

Anyone else had a listen to these amps?

Edit: And especially anyone in Sydney, who has these in stock for an audition???

Edited by HumanMedia

On 26/08/2019 at 10:15 PM, mattd2308 said:

Bit Cambridge Audio "Edge"-ish look.

There some serious looking gear out there, just off topic, I peruse AV show Reports on youtube, and the amount of gear shown is eye watering, brands Ive never heard of. 

Obviously a market for it though, might one day get over to Munich High End.

Pity Denon or Marantz don't release something unique like this.

Marantz were doing this sort of thing 20 years ago. 

• 3 months later...

Thank you for this excellent write-up. I have enjoyed the Rotel gear I’ve owned and am very interested in the Michi set-up. I’m struggling because Rotel gear is such high quality at its price it was like a no brainer for me, but the Michi price point bumps me into territory where I could be looking at McIntosh and Pass Labs. In other words, if I’m going to spend this much money, do I want to spend it on a new Rotel line I haven’t heard much about? This review was helpful, and I am looking forward to my demo. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Morning guys!

Well I am a michi boy through and through. Oldskool too.

I moved to Sydney on the first a jan after selling my pharmacy in nz for a change in lifevand to close to my wife's family for our children.

In this process I registered here as a legal drug dealer but was lucky enough about 6 weeks ago to pop into a store and get a job. Currently in my 4th week at lifestyle store sydney and loving it. Rather different to drug dealing thats for sure but bloody exciting and I am very lucky to have found something I am passionate about!!!

In the next couple of weeks, as long as tnt don't loose the michis (have done twice for one guy) ill be setting up the m8s and p5 combo at lifestyle store. Would love to take my system in and run side by side!

Please excuse the photo as obviously until we buy a house the granny flat my brother inlaw lives in was the only option :)

Also for those interested 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/384918068350254/?ref=share

this is the Facebook group I started years ago :) only had 4 members until about November last year when it sky rocketed for obvious reasons lol.

Good community. Easy going. Note it is a private group as had a few bloody advertising accounts get in there. 

anyway have a great day guys!

Andrew

20200317_213214.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Galactic Soap said:

LOL! What?! How? Surprised the tweeter survived. 

Yeah luckily the tweeters survived. Only one midrange damaged. I bought a new one from Convoy for $340.25. Not bad for a lesson: do not let your friends go anywhere near your hi-power system. The Michi P5 preamp is now set at 50. No more mishaps. ?

No!!! What "efficiency" is the 802s? 

When I first got my Rhb10 with the passive Rhc10 I was a university party boy lol so I had Cerwin vega vf15s I think they were and man did the mids melt...the coil turned almost in to a tube!!! 

I want to run these with xlr cables from montaudio and run the personas. I am a paradigm lover but not a fan of metal woofers. So hoping the match the lower end montaudio xlr with them and check the results :)

xlrs will be the Chatham range.

2 hours ago, Auty82x said:

No!!! What "efficiency" is the 802s? 

When I first got my Rhb10 with the passive Rhc10 I was a university party boy lol so I had Cerwin vega vf15s I think they were and man did the mids melt...the coil turned almost in to a tube!!! 

I want to run these with xlr cables from montaudio and run the personas. I am a paradigm lover but not a fan of metal woofers. So hoping the match the lower end montaudio xlr with them and check the results :)

xlrs will be the Chatham range.

So you haven’t experienced the Michi M8 then. 1080 wpc  into 8 ohw. It will blow any speakers in this planet if you let your friends touch your P5 preamp. ?

Edited by Sonny01
Edited
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Very interesting read regarding your Michis and highly informative. Could I ask which Devialet you put them against? I have the Devialet 440Pro monoblocs, which is hugely addictive, coupled to a pair of Pbn Montana Hadley Innerchoic. i have now a chance to buy a set of the Michis combo, with 2 monoblocs, but do you think they will perform better than Dev 440? If they are more detailed than the Devialets, they must be truly detailed, since the Devs are said to be maybe the most detailed amps available right now

Edited by JosteinW

On 04/08/2020 at 7:33 AM, JosteinW said:

Hi. Very interesting read regarding your Michis and highly informative. Could I ask which Devialet you put them against? I have the Devialet 440Pro monoblocs, which is hugely addictive, coupled to a pair of Pbn Montana Hadley Innerchoic. i have now a chance to buy a set of the Michis combo, with 2 monoblocs, but do you think they will perform better than Dev 440? If they are more detailed than the Devialets, they must be truly detailed, since the Devs are said to be maybe the most detailed amps available right now

Hey mate, unfortunately in my time being at lifestyle, I have not seen the dev units in action. The room has been completely changed as all of the upstairs area. Your welcome to join my rotel michi club on Facebook, one of the members may have an answer :)

I'm also a member of the Michi club (RHB 10 power amp). It's a very nice clean musical amp and when you go hard the thing really does have a huge set of hairy nuts.

Thought I would give it a service as I've heard they sound magnificent after a 20yr clean up.

It's only been away for a week but I can't wait to get it home, I've just bought a pair of ATC SCM 40 speakers and I'm extra keen to hear them together.  

On 22/07/2020 at 6:33 AM, Auty82x said:

Morning guys!

Well I am a michi boy through and through. Oldskool too.

I moved to Sydney on the first a jan after selling my pharmacy in nz for a change in lifevand to close to my wife's family for our children.

In this process I registered here as a legal drug dealer but was lucky enough about 6 weeks ago to pop into a store and get a job. Currently in my 4th week at lifestyle store sydney and loving it. Rather different to drug dealing thats for sure but bloody exciting and I am very lucky to have found something I am passionate about!!!

In the next couple of weeks, as long as tnt don't loose the michis (have done twice for one guy) ill be setting up the m8s and p5 combo at lifestyle store. Would love to take my system in and run side by side!

Please excuse the photo as obviously until we buy a house the granny flat my brother inlaw lives in was the only option :)

Also for those interested 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/384918068350254/?ref=share

this is the Facebook group I started years ago :) only had 4 members until about November last year when it sky rocketed for obvious reasons lol.

Good community. Easy going. Note it is a private group as had a few bloody advertising accounts get in there. 

anyway have a great day guys!

Andrew

20200317_213214.jpg

I cannot believe you have two? I have one and that's enough to satisfy a drunken dance floor all night long. Ringing ears! 

I know they dipped in price about 10 years ago ($1200-$1500) but now I think they demand over two (maybe even three for an excellent example). I think this is because the word has slowly got out.  

Edited by Tony Martello

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Antipodean Brad said:

Will the integrateds cut into the sales of the separates?

Integrateds is where it's at right now. They are the top seller.

I think this additions to the range would more likely widen the market of buyers for this brand, for those that otherwise would not have bought seperates.
This applies to all brands though I guess.

2 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Be interesting to see if they bring out a cd or SACD player to match. 

Gut says yes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Integrateds is where it's at right now. They are the top seller.

I think this additions to the range would more likely widen the market of buyers for this brand, for those that otherwise would not have bought separates
This applies to all brands though I guess

Gut says yes.

Agreed most/all?  of the brands have a top of the range integrated - maranta, Yamaha, mcintosh, Hegel, luxman , accuphase etc .

yep, cd/SACD still being a big thing in Japan, they'd be silly not too.