Pioneer Bookshelf Speaker Pair Designed by Andrew Jones (SPBS22LR)

Can anything compete with these for 199 bucks delivered?
Thinking of running them with a Bez 300B valve amp

I was running these until quite recently. They're definitely good speakers, but the Australia tax kind of kills the deal in my opinion. I got mine used for $90 and at that price they're certainly worth it.

I upgraded to DALI Zensor 1's. They're fairly frequently available new for $236 shipped - and while I'm still running them in my early impressions have been that they are a considerable step up from the BS22's for my tastes.

On 16/08/2019 at 6:04 PM, Tin Man said:

Can anything compete with these for 199 bucks delivered?
Thinking of running them with a Bez 300B valve amp

Hello

I recently hooked up a pair of mine with a modest 300B SET amp. I thought the sound was most listenable. The slightly loose bass control of the amp actually helped to fill in the bass a touch. It worked well with LP and CD.

The Pioneer has a very natural sound balance, if that is important to you. Other models, with a bit more treble lift, might sound more exciting. Comparing the response with a Dali Zensor 1 that has been suggested above, the lift in the Dali treble is easy to see.

Pioneer:-713Pionfig3.jpg

Dali:-      712Dalifig3.jpg

© Stereophile

You can also see how the Pioneer's port (in red) provides full amplitude support at its tuned frequency.

I hope this is interesting, regards,

Grant

Edited by Grant Slack
  • Like 3