Rega Ela 1.5 - help removing driver from cabinet please

Hi there,

If anyone has any tips they would be appreciated..

I am trying to remove the bass/mid driver of my REGA Ela 1.5's as it is has some distortion.

I've removed the screws but it seems glued in and difficult to remove.

The screws don't grip on the metal frame, only into MDF beneath, so can't try to extract them that way.

Thanks in advance if you have any ideas.. magnets??

IMG_5918.JPG

Gently screw into one of the corner mounting holes a slightly too large self-tapping screw so it bites into the metal frame of the driver. You should then be able to gently and firmly pull on that screw with pliers or a lever to pry the driver loose. Be patient as it may take a few moments to gradually let go.

If done properly, you will not be able to tell this method has been used when looking at the driver or the cabinet.

Works a treat for me.

Edited by Winno
  • 5 months later...

I replied then as I realised I hadn't thanked you earlier.

Then I just went and tried it and it did work !

Awesome!

By the way, do you know how much it should cost to repair the voice coil on the Rega mid-bass driver? Not sure whether to fix or sell the remaining 3 drivers?  

Cheers.

On 08/02/2020 at 1:27 PM, karmakat said:

I replied then as I realised I hadn't thanked you earlier.

Then I just went and tried it and it did work !

Awesome!

By the way, do you know how much it should cost to repair the voice coil on the Rega mid-bass driver? Not sure whether to fix or sell the remaining 3 drivers?  

Cheers.

Have a chat to a Rega dealer to find out how much a proper replacement driver will be. You can then decide what to do. I’d still wager a driver is going to be cheaper than buying a whole new pair of speakers though.