Whats better than a RCM Sensor 2?

jbgti

18 minutes ago, jbgti said:

Hi All

Have a RCM sensor 2 and am keen on trying something different.

Any suggestions?

Tube or SS.

Needs to have enough gain for 0.3mv Phasemation pp 2000.

In my opinion (I have had both in my system) the Whest is far better.

https://whestaudio.co.uk/product/ps-40rdt-se-sil/

The new old stock is an excellent buy below:

https://whestaudio.co.uk/product/ps-30rdt-se-new-old-stock/

I have no interest other than I really rate their product highly.

Edited by PKay
30 minutes ago, jbgti said:

Hi All

Any suggestions?

Tube or SS.

Whats your budget?

I have had the RCM sensor 2 the past and it very transparent and revealing. Hard to beat without paying more.

have you tried different cartridges in it rather than swapping the phonostage itself.

as per above you need to provide a budget and what cartridge are you intending.  For example Do you want phonostage flexibility and valves eg you could try and Luxman EQ-500 but at rrp $9k maybe above your budget

whest above looks great although I am not familiar with it and seems more expensive than the RCM.  It seems designed to work well with very low output cartridges.  Do you intend to try a low output MC?

there was Audio Research phonostage in the classified if you wanted something different.

46 minutes ago, PKay said:

In my opinion (I have had both in my system) the Whest is far better.

https://whestaudio.co.uk/product/ps-40rdt-se-sil/

The new old stock is an excellent buy below:

https://whestaudio.co.uk/product/ps-30rdt-se-new-old-stock/

I have no interest other than I really rate their product highly.

They look good. 

Any local dealers?

32 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

Whats your budget?

10 ish, hopefully less

9 minutes ago, Demondes said:

I have had the RCM sensor 2 the past and it very transparent and revealing. Hard to beat without paying more.

have you tried different cartridges in it rather than swapping the phonostage itself.

as per above you need to provide a budget and what cartridge are you intending.  For example Do you want phonostage flexibility and valves eg you could try and Luxman EQ-500 but at rrp $9k maybe above your budget

whest above looks great although I am not familiar with it and seems more expensive than the RCM.  It seems designed to work well with very low output cartridges.  Do you intend to try a low output MC?

there was Audio Research phonostage in the classified if you wanted something different.

Like to look of the Luxman. Might go for a demo.

Will sticking with my phono cartridge.

The Audio research doesn't have enough gain.

21 minutes ago, jbgti said:

They look good. 

Any local dealers?

10 ish, hopefully less

Like to look of the Luxman. Might go for a demo.

Will sticking with my phono cartridge.

The Audio research doesn't have enough gain.

@hugo_wilco had that Luxman at one stage so may be able to provide some feedback on that.

i was considering one but have not listened or tried yet.

I’m hearing very good things about these (Melb designed).  I hope to do an A-B with a Sensor 2 at some stage, but apparently others have already done so and suggest the OAD is significantly better (and this represents great value). Given you have the RCM (for direct comparison) maybe you should borrow one from Jon De Sensi (PM me for details).   I’ll try to do the same in the near future.  Perhaps whoever gets it first can play host?  Where in Vic are you? He’s very generous with home trials.....

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/oad-ultrafidelity-announces-up1-phono-preamp

The only real way to find out in my view is an at-home in-system A-B, so nothing to lose!  

Edited by Mat-with-one-t
56 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

I’m hearing very good things about these (Melb designed).  I hope to do an A-B with a Sensor 2 at some stage, but apparently others have already done so and suggest the OAD is significantly better (and this represents great value). Given you have the RCM (for direct comparison) maybe you should borrow one from Jon De Sensi (PM me for details).   I’ll try to do the same in the near future.  Perhaps whoever gets it first can play host?  Where in Vic are you? He’s very generous with home trials.....

The only real way to find out in my view is an at-home in-system A-B, so nothing to lose!  

Wow, that is a good price, if the performance levels live up to the claims.  I may want to check that one out myself

distribution seems to be sonic purity

thanks for the heads up on that one @Mat-with-one-t

Edited by Demondes
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Gryffles said:

@jbgti not sure if @petng still has his Allnic for sale or if that interests you

Looks like a nice tube phono with lots of gain.

Would be good to have a demo. Not sure where sells this brand to check em out.

1 hour ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

I have done a back to back in my system with the OAD and the sensor 2.

Whilst the OAD is very good it wan't as good as the sensor 2.

Best way to describe the difference. 

With the sensor 2 I could imagine the singer in front of me and with the OAD the same track was like really good hifi, ie no illusion.

But half the price it is very good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jbgti said:

Hi All

Any suggestions?

Tube or SS.

Sensor 2 while very good are ruthless with surface noise and many albums sound very average.

I ended up getting a Pass labs Aleph Ono which trounced the Sensor with practically every recording sounding good and none of the harsh edginess I heard.

Very rare to see that older model so would recommend the newer supposedly improved Pass labs Phono like the XP - 15 or XP - 25.

1 hour ago, jbgti said:

Looks like a nice tube phono with lots of gain.

Would be good to have a demo. Not sure where sells this brand to check em out.

I have done a back to back in my system with the OAD and the sensor 2.

Whilst the OAD is very good it wan't as good as the sensor 2.

Best way to describe the difference. 

With the sensor 2 I could imagine the singer in front of me and with the OAD the same track was like really good hifi, ie no illusion.

But half the price it is very good.

Yeah interesting.  Phono stages are like that - some great options around $1200 (Lehmann SE, lcr-1, etc).  Then it’s a big step to RCM, ASR, etc.  Thus, maybe the OAD or PS Audio (or maybe some other tube units) fill the gap.  Then it’s a big jump to Allnic, Sutherland, boutique Tube stuff, and so on....

Thanks for the comparison - very helpful! 

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

47 minutes ago, evil c said:

Sensor 2 while very good are ruthless with surface noise and many albums sound very average.

I ended up getting a Pass labs Aleph Ono which trounced the Sensor with practically every recording sounding good and none of the harsh edginess I heard.

Very rare to see that older model so would recommend the newer supposedly improved Pass labs Phono like the XP - 15 or XP - 25.

Passlabs xp 17 might be worth a look, 

Might try see if there is demo around.

5 hours ago, jbgti said:

Hi All

Any suggestions?

Tube or SS.

As you're using a Phasemation cartridge and you're in Melbourne I'd be tempted to see if Warwick from Sonicpurity has any of their phono stages available to audition. I use a Phase Tech phono stage with my PP1000 and it's a wonderful match.