Hello from Belgrave, Victoria

Alphason

Hi all,

I have recently retired and have had a two channel stereo interest since I was a kid.

I started updating my gear about five years ago after not replacing anything except the amplifier in the previous 20 years.

Online and secondhand works for me because I am curious about what is our there, so I get to check it out and play, when I make a mistake I sell it again.

I was recommended to Stereonet by a friend.

Keith

Belgrave, Vic.

• Like 1
Guest Karl Rand
2 hours ago, Alphason said:

Hi all,

I have recently retired and have had a two channel stereo interest since I was a kid.

I started updating my gear about five years ago after not replacing anything except the amplifier in the previous 20 years.

Online and secondhand works for me because I am curious about what is our there, so I get to check it out and play, when I make a mistake I sell it again.

I was recommended to Stereonet by a friend.

Keith

Belgrave, Vic.

So can you tell us of some of your mistakes &/or successes? I’m guessing from your forum name Alphason was one of your successes. ?

191.0550x0188.jpg  ?

Edited by Karl Rand

Welcome Keith.

I like your approach.  There is no shortage of great used and vintage gear available.  I've picked up some great gear in recent years that I could only dream about owning back in the day.

Do you partake of any of the great variety of live music offerings there in Belgrave and surrounds?

I find myself there at least once a fortnight, if not weekly, at 12 Bar, The Micawber, Oscar's, Sooki, Zuke's or Selby Folk Club.  And I'm told I should  check out The Railyard Saloon as well.

Don (Gembrook)

13 hours ago, Karl Rand said:

So can you tell us of some of your mistakes &/or successes? I’m guessing from your forum name Alphason was one of your successes. ?

191.0550x0188.jpg  ?

Correctly guessed!

The piece of gear that has given me the most pleasure over the years has been my C.J. Walker turntable and Alphason HR-100S tonearm.

I purchased them both new in the early 1980's.

The phono stage of my Harmon Kardon amplifier stopped working in the early 1990's and the technician wanted to borrow my turntable to test whether he had fixed the problem. I reluctantly agreed and he broke the stylus of my Grado Signature 8 cartridge, so the turntable was retired because putting on a CD was easier.

The tonearm is considered by some to be the best tonearm ever made. I forget the name of the fellow who designed and made them, I did correspond with him back then, but at audio shows it is said that he would offer a reward to anyone who could bend the arm.

The arm is made from titanium tube and no one was ever successful in picking up his reward! The version of the arm that I have is what was referred to as the reference model with silver wiring.

I still have the turntable and tonearm combination and a few years ago I picked up a new stylus for my Grado Signature 8 but never fitted it.

I have intended to sell it for years now, but keep putting it back in the cupboard.

As close as I got was taking some photos a few years ago, I will post a couple here.

I haven't given up vinyl though, I purchased a VPI turntable from Audio Connection on a whim in recent years and use that now.

It would have been sensible to re-instate the Walker and Alphason which are in perfect working order, but when did good sense come into this hobby?

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

1 hour ago, surprisetech said:

Welcome Keith.

I like your approach.  There is no shortage of great used and vintage gear available.  I've picked up some great gear in recent years that I could only dream about owning back in the day.

Do you partake of any of the great variety of live music offerings there in Belgrave and surrounds?

I find myself there at least once a fortnight, if not weekly, at 12 Bar, The Micawber, Oscar's, Sooki, Zuke's or Selby Folk Club.  And I'm told I should  check out The Railyard Saloon as well.

Don (Gembrook)

I haven't checked out the live music in the area in recent years although I used to go to Micawber Park Tavern years ago.

Belgrave is becoming well known for its live music scene, Sooki Lounge has a particulary good reputation and get's some great artists.

Belgrave is not so sleepy these days!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kiwi_steve said:

Welcome mate! I'm from just down the road in Upwey. 

It's great to know there is someone local with the same interest, you are only five minutes away, so perhaps we will have reason to catch up sometime.

4 minutes ago, Alphason said:

I haven't checked out the live music in the area in recent years although I used to go to Micawber Park Tavern years ago.

Belgrave is becoming well known for its live music scene, Sooki Lounge has a particulary good reputation and get's some great artists.

Belgrave is not so sleepy these days!

It certainly isn't!  We'll be up at the Micawber on Friday night for Geoff Achison & The Souldiggers.

Guest Karl Rand
1 hour ago, Alphason said:

Correctly guessed!

The piece of gear that has given me the most pleasure over the years has been my C.J. Walker turntable and Alphason HR-100S tonearm.

I purchased them both new in the early 1980's.

The phono stage of my Harmon Kardon amplifier stopped working in the early 1990's and the technician wanted to borrow my turntable to test whether he had fixed the problem. I reluctantly agreed and he broke the stylus of my Grado Signature 8 cartridge, so the turntable was retired because putting on a CD was easier.

The tonearm is considered by some to be the best tonearm ever made. I forget the name of the fellow who designed and made them, I did correspond with him back then, but at audio shows it is said that he would offer a reward to anyone who could bend the arm.

The arm is made from titanium tube and no one was ever successful in picking up his reward! The version of the arm that I have is what was referred to as the reference model with silver wiring.

I still have the turntable and tonearm combination and a few years ago I picked up a new stylus for my Grado Signature 8 but never fitted it.

I have intended to sell it for years now, but keep putting it back in the cupboard.

As close as I got was taking some photos a few years ago, I will post a couple here.

I haven't given up vinyl though, I purchased a VPI turntable from Audio Connection on a whim in recent years and use that now.

It would have been sensible to re-instate the Walker and Alphason which are in perfect working order, but when did good sense come into this hobby?

Have you thought of mounting the Alphason arm on the VPI ?

If you ever do consider having it re-wired with OFC Copper wire. I always found upper treble with the silver wire a bit too much of a good thing, if that makes sense. 

Edited by Karl Rand

Guest Karl Rand
43 minutes ago, surprisetech said:

It certainly isn't!  We'll be up at the Micawber on Friday night for Geoff Achison & The Souldiggers.

Have you encountered a bearded bass player, a local who happens to be one of Melbourne’s best audio repair technicians.?

53 minutes ago, Alphason said:

It's great to know there is someone local with the same interest, you are only five minutes away, so perhaps we will have reason to catch up sometime.

Yeah man, sounds good. I'm actually one of the local couriers for the Upwey, Tecoma and Belgrave area. 

9 minutes ago, Karl Rand said:

Have you encountered a bearded bass player, a local who happens to be one of Melbourne’s best audio repair technicians.?

Can't recall off the top of my head.  Any more clues?  Band? Genre?

I do know that having Roger McLaughlan make the trek up to the hills when the Souldiggers come to town is always a treat.  And we have some brilliant upright bass players grace the scene at the monthly Mountain Pickers gathering in FTG.

Guest Karl Rand
2 hours ago, surprisetech said:

Can't recall off the top of my head.  Any more clues?  Band? Genre?

I do know that having Roger McLaughlan make the trek up to the hills when the Souldiggers come to town is always a treat.  And we have some brilliant upright bass players grace the scene at the monthly Mountain Pickers gathering in FTG.

He’ll kill me if we give the game away. He gets driven mad by the audience and members of other bands wanting to bring their gear to him at gigs he performs at, some of them expecting him to daignose faults on the spot and the real idiots wanting repairs done there and then. 

Edited by Karl Rand

4 hours ago, Karl Rand said:

He’ll kill me if we give the game away. He gets driven mad by the audience and members of other bands wanting to bring their gear to him at gigs he performs at, some of them expecting him to daignose faults on the spot and the real idiots wanting repairs done there and then. 

Haha, fair enough.  I'll just be content with the clues I've got and if I come across him will keep the extra info under my hat!

6 hours ago, Karl Rand said:

Have you thought of mounting the Alphason arm on the VPI ?

If you ever do consider having it re-wired with OFC Copper wire. I always found upper treble with the silver wire a bit too much of a good thing, if that makes sense. 

It had occured to me, but what I might do is set it up and see if it is as good as I remember just as it is.

I understand that the Alphason works best with a MC cartridge and I always used MM.

I agree, silver wire with modern electronics and high resolution speakers can be too much of a good thing.

Guest Karl Rand
1 hour ago, Alphason said:

It had occured to me, but what I might do is set it up and see if it is as good as I remember just as it is.

I understand that the Alphason works best with a MC cartridge and I always used MM.

I agree, silver wire with modern electronics and high resolution speakers can be too much of a good thing.

I remember many decades ago Peter Familari telling me ‘Silver for valves, copper for solid state’ There’s some truth in that.