Vinyl Turntable Novice

webs81

All,

I’m hoping you could give me some advice. I’m a novice at everything vinyl. 

I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC turntable and am needing everything else to get it up and running. 

Do you suggest I buy an external phono pre-amp? My budget would be around $100-$175 or at that price range, should I not use an external preamp and just buy a receiver with built in phono? 

I will just be using this for a turntable. I don’t need a tuner on the receiver. Just trying to get suggestions. 

Thank you in advance! 

welcome Scott, generally an external phono will sound better at that price point, but looking at your budget you may be struggling to achieve your aim, an amp with phono will start you on your journey, i'm sure you will have greater scope for choice where you are, try and audition before you buy, less painful in the long run, good luck

What speakers and amp are you currently using? Buying a dedicated stereo amp - not a receiver will be the way to go, if you get stuck you may be able to pick up the Rega fono mini for around that price or the older cambridge MM phono which sounded great when i had one

Guest Music monster

At this price point an in build phono stage in your amplifier would be the best way to go in my opinion and you eliminate interconnects. Gary  the music monster ?

2 hours ago, dolphy said:

I would recommend the Schiit Mani Phono preamp. They pop up here 2nd around your budget, I think they're $250 brand new, well worth the investment in my opinion, I've seen many positive reviews on YouTube. 

Second on the Mani.  Easily one of the better MM phonostages under $300, less if used.  Just make sure you keep the gain low, otherwise you do get a bit of gain noise (hiss) from your speakers.  I woulndt recommend it as a MC Phonostage (even it has the option to run it as MC) due to the noise issue.