Canton Karat 300 advice

Mcka

Hi,

I'm very new to audio. My current experience is related to headphones. I recently got some HD6xx (HD650) and a JDS Labs Atom and I love it. My only problem is that now my other audio equipment sounds awful in comparison.

I have borrowed some speakers from my Dad who no longer uses them. As the title suggests they are Canton Karat 300's. The specs that I found online are as follows-

• Manufacturer: Canton
  • Model: Karat 300
  • Production Years: 1986 - 1987
  • Produced in: Deutschland
  • Color: Black, White, Walnut
  • Measurements: 310 x 500 x 290 mm (WxHxD)
  • Weight: 13,8 kg

Technical Data

• Form: 3-Way closed, Compact loudspreaker (aka Bookshelf speaker)
  • Chassis:
    • Woofer: 260 mm Cone
    • Midrange: 38 mm Dome
    • Tweeter: 20 mm Dome
  • Loading: 90/130 W (RMS/Peak)
  • Sensitivity: 91,2 dB
  • Frequency Response: 25 - 30.000 Hz
  • Crossover points: 850 / 4.200 Hz
  • Impedence: 8 Ohm

I have been trying to figure out what kind of amp I should use to power them. They won't be in a massive room but I don't want to underpower them and cause damage (I've read that under powering can cause damage, please correct me if I'm mistaken).

Can anyone suggest an amp that would do these speakers justice without driving price up very high. I'd prefer to be spending $400 or less if possible (I've got a feeling that this might not be possible). I can't figure out what kind of power I need and whether I should be looking at using my atom as a preamp. Essentially I'm confused and the more reading I do the more confused I'm becoming about what is needed. Haha! 

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

IMG_20190811_173310.jpg

Guest Music monster

Nice speakers.i have owned a few pairs of cantons. Shouldn’t be hard to drive,but better spend abit more and get a good amplifier, it will reward you and the speakers in better sound.plenty of good amplifiers around the $1000 mark or less ,especially on the second hand market, or right hear on stereonet. Cheers gary the music monster ?

Thanks very much for your responses! 

I have been looking at second hand amps on eBay and alike. I can see that most only put out between 30 and 50 watts.

I assume that I need something which puts out 90w @ 8 ohms per channel or higher. Am I right in assuming that sound quality will suffer and put undue strain on the speakers if there isn't enough power. 

Is there anything second hand that I could look at in the $400 range? I could probably cope with a slightly higher price if it's worth the extra dollars.

Thanks again for the advice! 

you will need a few more posts before accessing the classifieds, the above Yamaha seems great value for the money. There is a Rotel 20wpc for $120 in the classifieds and a Creek Evolution 50A 50wpc for $740 posted, you need to read reviews or take your speakers to Selby and try the Yamaha, good luck

EDIT, you dont need 90wpc or higher, my speakers are rated at 40-120w, i use a 50wpc amp, never had the volume past half, blows the room out 

Edited by wen

Thanks for your response Wen. 

I found the Onkyo a9010 for $480. The reviews I've read are positive. I'm assuming that it would have no issues running these speakers. 

Thanks again for the assistance!

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Naz.shr
      Item Condition: Good Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Perth State: WA Payment Method: Cash, PayPal Reason for selling: NLR Further information:
      Amps are in excellent condition from a smoke free home.  Comes with trigger cables, Manual x 1, original double boxes, power leads, as well as the silver trims.

Power output (all channels driven): 350 watts RMS @ 4 ohm, 200 watts RMS @ 8 ohm

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By Clayts
      Item Condition: Used unknown condition Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Port Noarlunga South State: SA Payment Method: Cash or EFT Reason for selling: Not required - See below AWA Integrated Stereo Amplifier SA-1

I have inherited my late fathers hifi equipment and as I’m not into hifi I’d like to sell it. His stuff was immaculate as.... he was extremely fastidious with every thing he owned.

Found this in the cupboard whilst clearing his place out. I don't know anything about it and the only information I've been able find is here https://www.facebook.com/camphillantiquecentre/photos/a.516000341830448/1896391873791281/?type=3

I thought I'd see if anyone on here would be interested as it seemed to good to put in the E-waste at Bunnings.

Please be polite 'any reasonable offer' will be considered, and I will do my very best to answer any questions.

Prefer to sell locally but maybe pack/post/freight at buyers expense

Further information:

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By burnside9
      Hi all

Just wondering what would be the next best step for my audio set-up,

I currently have a NAD C315BEE, which is 40w, an audio gd DAC and Dali Lektor 2 bookshelf speakers.
      For sources I have a Rega Planar 2 and an old MacBook.

I’m very happy with my sound but wondering if I could make it better with the addition of better gear.

I was thinking a small sealed sub or maybe a new amp. Can you guys offer advice on which way next? My budget is about $1000

Thanks 
    • By Atlas Gouverneur
      Item Condition: in working order Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Bondi State: NSW Payment Method: EFT, Cash, paypal +3% Reason for selling: no longer needed Further information:
       I bought this Emotiva XPA 5 Gen 1 amp several years ago for my multi channel system which was retired years ago. Great amp in working order - see comment below. 

This five channel amp provides 200 watts @ 8 0hms and 300 watts @ 4 ohms all channel driven.

Note: one of the RCA inputs is broken and needs to be replaced should single ended inputs be used. I've listed the price to reflect this. Emotiva is able to supply replacement RCA plugs or aftermarket RCA jacks can be fitted. All XLR inputs are fine.

Photos:

• By peppy
      Item: SPL Phonitor X / XE Headphone Amplifier
      Price Range: $1800ish
      Item Condition: Used
      Extra Info: Preferably something that’s still under warranty

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).

To Top