Integrated amps for ML2 Plus-R

kdoot

Hi all. A friend of mine in Sydney was thoroughly impressed with the way my system made music when he came to visit. Now he’s considering picking up the pair of ML2 Plus-R that are in the classifieds to replace his Kef LS50’s. 

The challenge is that he currently has nothing but an older 5-channel Denon AVR and that’s just not good enough. So we are looking for an ML2-worthy integrated solid-state stereo amp with HT bypass, and it has to be pretty compact because there’s not a lot of room for more equipment.

I’m curious about the Devialet that’s also in the classifieds (thoughts anyone?) but it’s probably a bit more than he would like to spend. Please let me know your suggestions, especially if there’s something 2nd hand that would be a good buy. New is worth looking at also.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Whatever seems reasonable for somebody who’s buying 2nd hand ML2 PLus-R rather than ordering a new pair from Mike. There’s not a budget limit per se but value is a priority. What makes sense?

Rantan’s MF and the Devialet are both worth considering IMO. 

13 minutes ago, myryad said:

I can vouch for Devialet (Expert 130 and 200), Musical Fidelity (M6 500i) and Plinius (SA-103).

I have run all three with my ML2 Plus R's and they all sounded great. 

The Plinius would have been fantastic 

Hi All

Mike has a Chord TT2 which has the best sound I have yet heard from a DAC (yes I prefer it to the Grandinote).   I have heard it on the ML5 - Mike can certainly check it out on the ML2,    Its about $7K but it's DAC and amp combined.   It may be what you are after - possible issue is HT

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

• Volunteer
3 hours ago, bhobba said:

Hi All

Mike has a Chord TT2 which has the best sound I have yet heard from a DAC (yes I prefer it to the Grandinote).   I have heard it on the ML5 - Mike can certainly check it out on the ML2,    Its about $7K but it's DAC and amp combined.   It may be what you are after - possible issue is HT

Thanks

Bill

I’m confused, the TT2 is a dac and headphone amp. Are you suggesting that it can drive speakers?

3 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I’m confused, the TT2 is a dac and headphone amp. Are you suggesting that it can drive speakers?

It has an "amp" mode:

"Please note that once the Hugo TT 2
enters Amplification Mode, 8W on RCA
and 20W on XLR, the rated spec is
7W/8 RCA and 18/8 (XLR balanced)."

58 minutes ago, Rickus said:

It has an "amp" mode:

"Please note that once the Hugo TT 2
enters Amplification Mode, 8W on RCA
and 20W on XLR, the rated spec is
7W/8 RCA and 18/8 (XLR balanced)."

Interesting! But nowhere near enough power and we want analog inputs. 

10 minutes ago, rusty48 said:

Accuphase E-600 with a DAC40 board would do the trick - heaps of current and runs cooler than both the MF and Devialet. 

Man that is a thing of beauty! I would love to hear it. But I’m not sure it’s what we’re looking for... 30W probably isn’t sufficient.

Not sure how you could say a pure class A amp would run cooler than an AB or hybrid D though.

On 13/08/2019 at 10:45 PM, myryad said:

I can vouch for Devialet (Expert 130 and 200), Musical Fidelity (M6 500i) and Plinius (SA-103).

I have run all three with my ML2 Plus R's and they all sounded great. 

As the original owner of the said ML2 PlusR's, I paired it with an Accuphase preamp and a Halcro power amp, with great results. As far as using an integrated is concerned, I'd look to Myryad's advice, or consider one of the Accuphase integrated amps on Gumtree.

The more power you can feed into those speakers, the better the results. I'd be careful about any amp that tended towards excessive 'sweetness' or 'smoothness' - the ML 2's are already smooth and sweet, so I'd go for something detailed, natural and powerful.

20 hours ago, kdoot said:

Man that is a thing of beauty! I would love to hear it. But I’m not sure it’s what we’re looking for... 30W probably isn’t sufficient.

Not sure how you could say a pure class A amp would run cooler than an AB or hybrid D though.

You'd be surprised.

They test at nearly double the manufacturer's quoted output before starting to clip, drive Martin Logan Summit X's with ease and (yes, surprisingly) do in fact run cooler than MF class A and Devialet amps. Accuphase class A amps are a different animal to their class A/B amps. Don't confuse the two. 

I was strongly considering Mike's ML2's before changing direction (umm, another country...). 

Tell your Sydney mate to make a phone call and take his ML2's for a drive to the Accuphase dealer at Liverpool and he will hear what they can do. The current model is E-650, a further refinement. 

I'm selling a NAD Silver line S500 in the classifieds that is a dual mono design in great nick, $1000.

I wouldn't say the sound quality is as good as  the choices  @myryad suggested, but for control and bass slam its very good.

I'm waiting for my M/F Nuvista 600 to arrive so I can make direct comparisons. 

Its probably in the same league as a parasound a21/m/f m6 integrated.

Thanks for the comments @PKay & @075Congo - much appreciated.

I've listed the Densen integrated and power-supply on Ebay (see: link below). I originally had a buy now price of $4,500 however I'm happy to accept for $4K for any SNA members interested in doing a deal.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Densen-B175-Integrated-Amplifier-1NRG-Power-Supply/143360602329?hash=item2160f530d9:g:OC0AAOSww8ldW9mq

2 minutes ago, Galactic Soap said:

Thanks for the comments @PKay & @075Congo - much appreciated.

I've listed the Densen integrated and power-supply on Ebay (see: link below). I originally had a buy now price of $4,500 however I'm happy to accept for $4K for any SNA members interested in doing a deal.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Densen-B175-Integrated-Amplifier-1NRG-Power-Supply/143360602329?hash=item2160f530d9:g:OC0AAOSww8ldW9mq

So tempting. I just can’t justify another amp. 

I expect it should fairly quickly on eBay. 

Edited by PKay
  • Like 1

Thank you mate - yes, it'll be interesting to see how it goes. It's my first Ebay listing, and that too with a 99 cent starting bid. I was somewhat relieved to see bidding is now at $1,250 when I woke up this morning!

Its a screaming bargain at this price point. The internal design reinforces the how over-engineered it is, and unlike other components at this end of the high-end spectrum it's elegant and discrete. Then of course there's the sound: rhythmic and resolving.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2019 at 9:15 AM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Oh wow. That’s cool. 

Thanks for the info ?

I heard them directly driving Mikes ML5's at his store.   Mike was skeptical but was shocked how good it was.   A direct comparison to the Grandiote was not done but I think it was better.   He was impressed enough to really get his finger out with his Seas Exotic speakers that will be 92 db sensitive and an easy drive for the DAC,

BTW I think its way cool  as well.

Amongst other albums I heard was  Christmas with Dino.   I still cant get it out of my mind.

Thanks

Bill

• 5 months later...

@Lenehan Audio

How are things going for 2020?  

Any GTGs planned for the near future?

Curious about where you are with some of your projects ( any recent pictures  of any would be appreciated )....

The Seas Exotic 92db speakers spoken about above

Bills Magnesium Speakers

Three way large speaker from this thread below ...last mention was  'The big speaker is still in the pipeline ! The 15inch bass end is completed we just have to build the top end section now ! 

I would estimate at least another 6month to a year .   Cheers Mike' 

Any thing else on the cards?