Vinyl Cleaning

doubleaitch

I have read so much about vinyl cleaning and how you shouldn't use this or that, so though I might share a cleaning technique I have been using with success for years.

Into a dessert bowl I put 1 squirt of morning fresh dishwashing liquid, 1 squirt of domestos and 1 teaspoon of dettol and then double the level of the liquids with water.  Using a bristle nail brush (soft) I dip the brush into the liquid and wipe the brush with the grooves of the record forward, then backwards a few times until a reasonable lather appears.  Then rinse under Luke warm water from the tap and lie flat and dry with a series of new microfibre cloths.  Avoid the label - but if you do wet it - dry it immediately and leave to dry before putting in to a new inner sleeve.

I found the dettol removes and mildew/mould (which is commonplace on old records) dishwashing liquid foams well and the domestos removes stubborn crap with too much pressure. I have never had any issue with my vinyl and rarely have to clean any second hand vinyl more than once to get immaculately clean.  I am not pretending to know any thing about the chemical effects of this and that on vinyl records - but it has worked for me for a long time - I have been able to bring back the filthiest of records to playable condition.  I emphasise a soft bristle nail brush and good rinse under tap and clean microfibre cloths for drying.

Edited by doubleaitch

Two issues any dishwasher liquid will leave residue on your records. Some more, some less. Domestos (i.e. bleach) contributes to your environment toxicity and impacting your own health. There are so many easier ways to clean records - just search this forum. Plenty of good magic formulas available. Google task for you: Triton X 100. 

Guest Karl Rand
3 hours ago, Decky said:

Two issues any dishwasher liquid will leave residue on your records. Some more, some less. Domestos (i.e. bleach) contributes to your environment toxicity and impacting your own health. There are so many easier ways to clean records - just search this forum. Plenty of good magic formulas available. Google task for you: Triton X 100. 

Dishwasher detergent does not leave a resideu if you add 10 drops of ‘wetting agent’ per litre of cleaning fluid. 

https://shop.rewindphotolab.com.au/products/kodak-photo-flo-200-solution?variant=19483330281531&currency=AUD&utm_campaign=gs-2018-12-11&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs_zb35L84wIVRXZgCh3a-gpqEAYYASABEgLiBfD_BwE

Edited by Karl Rand

Agree with @Decky no bleach and try and avoid dishwash liquid.  I use distilled water (super cheap auto seems to have large containers cheap) and pure isopropyl alcohol and occasionally add a tiny amount (1-2 drops to 5-6litres of solution) of surfactant (liquid soap/dish wash liquid).