Adjusting VTA on an early SME 3009 S II

georgesgiralt

Hello,

I would like to adjust vertical tracking angle on my SME3009 (early Series II model non improved from the early `70s).

Alas, holding the arm precisely with one arm while the other hand is locking the small screw is not funny.

I end with either the arm too high or too low. It is very frustrating.

So I would like to devise a jig to hold the arm precisely where it belongs while I lock the screw for good.

As I'm not the only one owning an SME arm and more than one cartridge, I bet someone has thought like me and devised something.

So I would like to know your design and what you think of it to avoid the same mistake you may have made.

Many thanks in advance for your help and answer !

• Like 2
15 hours ago, georgesgiralt said:

Hello,

I would like to adjust vertical tracking angle on my SME3009 (early Series II model non improved from the early `70s).

Alas, holding the arm precisely with one arm while the other hand is locking the small screw is not funny.

I end with either the arm too high or too low. It is very frustrating.

So I would like to devise a jig to hold the arm precisely where it belongs while I lock the screw for good.

As I'm not the only one owning an SME arm and more than one cartridge, I bet someone has thought like me and devised something.

So I would like to know your design and what you think of it to avoid the same mistake you may have made.

Many thanks in advance for your help and answer !

Maybe get a pack of cards, and wedge half under the collar on each side (or however many cards equals the correct height).  Might have to support the other edge of the pack if they fall out too easily.   Adjust a card or two at a time until it is the correct height, then tighten the screw and remove the cards.

Hello !

Using some aluminum I had in the shed, I devised a jig looking like a pair of pliers. They are hole open with a screw and, thus , the opening can be precisely set. Te jaws are made in a U where the U opening permit the arm pillar to go in. I am able to move the arm up and down by turning the screw. Once the height is set, I can lock the little screw et voila !

But, for my old Grado to be perfectly set, I need the arm up at the pivot. So the arm tube is no more parallel to the record surface, and the arm pivot is too tall and prevent the dust cover to close. Damn it !

But the sound is wonderful ! The Grado is beneficial of the proper VTA setting !

So I'll need to set the arm parallel to the record again, and set the VTA at the head shell using a wedge.

Now, I've a new question : How to make this wedge ? With what kind of material ? Will it be detrimental to the cartridge health ? I think I've opened a can of worms here ?